Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Reverse grinds going in. Help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/reverse-grinds-going-in-help-257260.html)

Palma11b 07-21-2013 12:39 AM

Reverse grinds going in. Help!

My reverse grinds every time I go to put it in. Clutch pedal is fully disengaged. Whenever I go to first and then go into reverse it doesn't grind! Wtf!? It has an ax-15. This is my first standard vehicle and first jeep. I do know how to drive.Help!!!

petercass88 07-21-2013 12:41 AM

does it grind significantly to the point that you cant go in gear? A little bit wont hurt.. mine grinds a bit, i just make sure to throw it in reverse fast and i have no issues. My 98 volvo 5 speed had the same thing and it was still going strong until the day i did a title swap on it a few months back.

dukes-o-hazard 07-21-2013 12:44 AM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/grin...rse-90550.html

Palma11b 07-21-2013 12:51 AM

It grinds to where I'm scared to put it in farther....that's what she said! Haa. Well it only does it the first time. Usually after it grinds when I go back again it doesn't. Also when I go to first gear first then reverse it doesn't.

Palma11b 07-21-2013 12:58 AM

Thanks for that link dukes!!! That helped a lot man

williamyj 07-21-2013 12:59 AM

Thats because reverse isnt a synchronized gear. Just go into a forward gear before shifting into reverse and you should be golden!

Palma11b 07-21-2013 01:09 AM

So its normal William? Nothing wrong or something to get dirty fixing?

kik 07-21-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamyj (Post 3985801)
Thats because reverse isnt a synchronized gear. Just go into a forward gear before shifting into reverse and you should be golden!

This. It's normal. That's how I've been shifting into reverse with my 89 AX15 for years. I go from first to reverse. What you can do to help is to change your fluid to full syn gear oil 75W90 or full syn 10W30 motor oil.

Palma11b 07-21-2013 08:06 AM

Thank you all for reply. Whenever I go to first and then reverse, like guys said it, it works fine with no grinding. If something else happens ill post for some help. Thanks!

BlueRidgeYJ 07-21-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palma11b (Post 3986231)
Thank you all for reply. Whenever I go to first and then reverse, like guys said it, it works fine with no grinding. If something else happens ill post for some help. Thanks!

Mine is easier to go 2nd, then rev, but as said any forward gear works.

Palma11b 07-21-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3986525)

Mine is easier to go 2nd, then rev, but as said any forward gear works.

Yeah ill try 2nd too. Its just so weird how thats normal.

BlueRidgeYJ 07-21-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palma11b (Post 3986870)

Yeah ill try 2nd too. Its just so weird how thats normal.

Not really... an easy way to think of it is this: your trans has a primary shaft that engages each gear, this shaft is essentially your crankshaft but on the trans side. Forward gears have a beveled edge, allowing the primary gear (on that primary shaft) to engage 1st, 2nd, etc. seamlessly. The reverse gear, however, cannot have this cut because it spins backwards. This isn't really an engineerig problem, because in theory your primary shaft will be stationary when you engage rev, making a beveled edge a moot point (because you aren't moving). In reality, though, the primary shaft will spin, so going into a beveled gear first will stop it, then allow a seamless rev shift while everything actually is stationary. ;)

Palma11b 07-21-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3986882)

Not really... an easy way to think of it is this: your trans has a primary shaft that engages each gear, this shaft is essentially your crankshaft but on the trans side. Forward gears have a beveled edge, allowing the primary gear (on that primary shaft) to engage 1st, 2nd, etc. seamlessly. The reverse gear, however, cannot have this cut because it spins backwards. This isn't really an engineerig problem, because in theory your primary shaft will be stationary when you engage rev, making a beveled edge a moot point (because you aren't moving). In reality, though, the primary shaft will spin, so going into a beveled gear first will stop it, then allow a seamless rev shift while everything actually is stationary. ;)

Thanks for explaining it! That actually does make sense. I can tell you know your jeeps! I'm actually a mechanic but only 18 so I'm still learning. I just figured they would come up with something so it doesnt grind....but first then reverse!