Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Suspension Help Please

3K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  JenyGirl 
#1 ·
Ok so I'm about to purchase a lift kit and have questions on size. This is my daily driver and I want to notice my lift. I've heard 2.5" I won't and I should just go with 4". I will
Be running 33 tires and I don't want them to look stupid. Thoughts? I've also heard it will cause U-joint issues in the future if I do go with 4"?

Second part is what companies do you recommend for being on a budget? Are rough country good? Rancho? Help please

#3 ·
Dude, you want to do it right the first time!....... You Gotta go Balls To Da Wall! Evo 4" Long arm with Evo coilovers. 37" Toyo's and every chick will be checking out your chit. If you want to run with the Big Dog's and you do not want to sit on your front proch any longer then stand up, pull your pants up and get ready! ($$$$$$$) It's gonna be a kick ass ride. Now let's go party like it's 1999! :blunt:

#4 ·
4" Lift and saving money are not to be combined - truly. If this is your DD and all you want is to look cool (which is how I interpret "noticing" your lift, sorry if I am off there) what you need to do is grab a decent 2.5 inch lift and throw some 35" tires on - maybe with some flat fenders. Definitely noticeable and WAY less involved than doing a 4" lift properly.

Understand that a 4" lift is going to significantly alter your Jeep's performance - if it is done well, this can be a real boon. If it's done poorly, you will have a Jeep that is miserable as a daily driver. Coming into it with the idea that all you want is to look good and save money is fine - lots of folks like that - but what is your budget, realistically?

#6 ·
People will complain about Rough Country being too rough, but I know a lot of people that run their stuff, and I'm about to purchase one, and it's really not bad.Saying you'll be running 33's, probably the best Rough Country set-up for you would be the 3.25" lift. It's cheap and great for on trails and daily-driving. It's also a quite bit cheaper so you can buy other Jeep things!

#18 ·
The static ride height does not determine the articulation or "flex" of a lift. That is the purview of the shocks and, to some extent, suspension linkages (i.e. control arms). Your static ride height, and thus your lift, determine you running ground clearance, approach and departure angles and break over angle. Tires determine clearance under your diffs as well as under the Jeep as a whole.

Thus why there are so many people that run a 2.5" lift and 35" tires. There are a few things to consider - what is your shock's collapsed length and how much bump stop does it require? How much clearance do you have to your fenders and does that require a bump stop? How much shock travel do you have overall and where in the travel range are you at static ride height?

Ideally, you want a bunch of complimentary answer to those questions. For example:

1.) I run tire size HIJ and I need XYZ inches of bump stop for my fenders.
2.) Oh, look, I need XYZ inches of bump stop for my shocks.

Wow! That means I can run a bump stop that protects my fenders and my shocks without wasting articulation (up travel)!

Now, when you start going bigger and with longer shocks you need things like brake line extensions, coil retainers (possibly), etc.

#24 ·
@OP its all up to you on looks. Dont think about a 4" lift if yourr talkint budget, mostly DD, and seeing that youre in florida; there aint no rock climing. Plus again preference but 33 may look a tad small in the well of a 4" plus dude all the drive line parts go out of wack when your that high.

I run a 2.5 and have a heavy front armor and winch. 35" tires filled up the well so i cut the fenders flat for more of that gap look (looks lifted highrr) and more flex room

#25 ·
From my research if it's a DD and the goal is the look of a lifted vehicle and larger tires I would say spacer lift/budget boost and 33's. That is entirely affordable as the cost would be about $1200-1500 in grand total.

Now a spring lift to 2.5" (shock extenders on stock shocks) is going to get you a little better ride a touch more flex and run you $1600-$2000 with 33's.

2.5" spring lift with shocks on 33's brings it up again to right around $2500 all in

2.5" spring lift with 35's now your either talking new rims or spacers which adds $300-$500 extra in tires and $700-$1200 in wheels (or $200 in spacers) grand total now is $3000-$4000.

you get where this is going...
Tack on another 1500$ to the last two to go 3.5" for supporting parts and driveshafts (although many state the JKU can run 3.5" without shafts but with some simple exhaust mods)

My suggestion would be budget boost on 33's, will look good raised up a bit, nice and affordable so if you end up not liking it for one reason or another it's little lost and if you want to upgrade the budget boost can be removed and sold during your 3.5" lift install but get ready to open your wallet pretty large if you go 3.5"

#27 ·
Okay, I admit, I skipped 90% of this thread. So, if this has been said, just move on passed this comment...

33's and 4" of lift, no way. It will be way to tall and you will have issues with the driveline at 4"...

If your going to offroad it, I would do 33-35's and a 2.5" coil lift. I would forgo the BB or spacers lifts especially if your planning on adding bumpers, tire carriers, etc to your setup. The stock coils are not rated for the heavier loads and will sag over time. I would look at something like this:
Rock Krawler JK 2.5 Flex System

It is a GREAT DD lift. It will run 33-35's without any issues. You will not have any driveline issues either. Plus, it will handle just about anything you could throw at it offroad.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! PM, email, or call us at anytime!

-Jason

#33 ·
Your welcome!

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of reading! The BB or spacers lifts are nice but all they are going to do is give you height. They offer no performance gain. Also, if you add weight to you JK, the stock springs (which you will still be one) can sag... then you will be right back to looking at lifts again. That is why I always recommend swapping to a coil lift. They will give a better on and off road ride, better coils (so it wont sag and you want have to lift shop again), and it will give you more height and clearance. You can run a 33-35" tall tire with most of them and some, you can even run a 37" if you would like!

Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime if you have any questions. We have a lot of different lifts to choose from and we can even do the wheels and tires too!

-Jason

#35 ·
Here is a Teraflex leveling kit running flatties and 33's

Here is a Rock Krawler 2 1/2" Max Travel with 37's

With just the 2 1/2" of lift, I still needed to replace the front drive line within 6 months.
From the pics you should be able to see that you won't need 4" of lift for 33's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.