Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Interior Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/interior-lighting-25750.html)

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-23-2009 02:35 AM

Interior Lighting
 
I ordered some LED's to replace the bulbs in the Gauge Cluster. They will be here tomorrow, so I can do the mod this weekend. I see some of you have done this before. So my questions are as follows:

Has anyone changed out the lights behind the Climate Controls and Automatic Shifter Housing to LED's? If so, I'm wanting to know what part #'s of LED's worked for these locations. (i.e. #74 LED works for the Gauge Cluster)
(I have a 98 Sahara BTW)

If anyone has done this, could you also post some pics of it, so that I could see what it looks like ahead of time?

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-25-2009 04:11 PM

I did the mod yesterday. As some of you have already seen, I had quite a few problems with blowing different fuses, and somehow my left turn signal light (the green arrow) won't work anymore. Today I found that my E-Brake Light won't come on either. Here's what happened:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/need...ase-25807.html

Otherwise, it was a cheap and easy mod and looks very nice. IMO, I don't think that the Blue LEDs are ANY brighter than your OEM bulbs, they may even be a tad dimmer. But they look alot better, and are easy on the eyes.

I found out that the HVAC bulb is a 194 and the Auto Trans Shifter bulb is a 658. Supposedly they are the same size, but the 194 is brighter. I ordered some blue LED 194's to replace them with. Someone on another forum stated that they didn't think the Green Filters on HVAC and Shifter wouldn't let the Blue light pass through. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Looks like I'll be the Ginnie Pig on this one, since no one has responded to this thread.:cool: It'll look nice if it actually does work though.

Any input on how to get the HVAC controls out would be appreciated. Other is welcome too, as always.:)

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Mod/dash1.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Mod/dash2.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Mod/dash3.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Mod/dash4.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Mod/dash5.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Mod/dash6.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Mod/dash7.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...YS/36_2_15.gif

Triple88a 01-25-2009 05:36 PM

is that a bit uneven or is it just me :P

Looks good though.

Its a bit dimmer since its blue. If you install white leds, you will be blinded lol

Giancarlo 01-25-2009 05:40 PM

wow thats awesome.. can you send me the link for where you got them and let me know if the ones for behind the trans shifter and climate controls comes out good...

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-26-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 313980)
is that a bit uneven or is it just me :P

Looks good though.

Its a bit dimmer since its blue. If you install white leds, you will be blinded lol

Yeah Trip, I remember what you were saying before on my other thread.:flipoff:
.....Just Kid'n.:D

But no, actually all the light in mine is very uniform. I know the picture doesn't show that, so let me explain:

The only way I could get the correct color to come out in the picture was to put my camera on a long time exposure. If I let the camera use it's "auto mode", the color looked to be a light/bright, almost white-ish blue, that was completely inaccurate. Now, when you use a long time exposure, you know you're not holding the camera perfectly still...
That allows for those imperfections, and that's what you are seeing. It DOES NOT look like that to your eye, just in pictures.
(at least with my lights anyways)

So, all these pictures that people are posting are not as accurate as what you might think they are. But that's normal. I mean, how many times have you taken a picture and it doesn't quite look like what you are seeing. The human eye is a hell of alot more sophisticated than any camera lens that most people own.:)

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-26-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giancarlo (Post 313983)
wow thats awesome.. can you send me the link for where you got them and let me know if the ones for behind the trans shifter and climate controls comes out good...

Here's the link. I bought the first one at the top. However, if you buy some of the ones with more LED's on them, your dash may light up brighter. I'm not sure. I'll post what I find with the other controls. It may be a while though. I'm gonna busy for the next couple weeks. Feel free to Leap-Frog ahead and show ME how to do it!:D

Autolumination Instrument Panel Light Bulbs & Lamps)

Triple88a 01-26-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN (Post 314382)
Yeah Trip, I remember what you were saying before on my other thread.:flipoff:
.....Just Kid'n.:D

so its nice and even then? Good. If i have some extra money to spare, i'll do it.

On my bike i'm still going to use this first since i have 3 of them in my old computer. They are bright and beautiful.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...A/DSCF0017.jpg

CenARJeepChick 01-26-2009 09:37 PM

Cool blue
 
I love the effect the blue leds give the inst. panel. But I have a question-I had my panel out a few months ago because I wanted to tint the bright light indicator bulb-I'm short, its distractingly bright, don't ask. Anyway I couldn't figure out how to remove the bulb from the panel-or more accurately I was afraid to apply too much pressure-so I removed the lens and took a sharpie to the front of the display. Not pretty but at least I'm not blinded. So an tips for removing the bulbs?

Triple88a 01-26-2009 09:45 PM

Jeepchick, here you go :)
Install: Dash Mod - LEDs and Brushed Aluminum Faceplate
When you get it apart, twist the brown thing counter clockwise and once it turns pull it out. The bulb comes out with it.

should be the one on the top left corner when you flip it over. I wouldnt completely remove it. I'd just use a red cover or red LED.
http://www.dailydriventj.com/images/DM/24.jpg

http://www.dailydriventj.com/images/DM/28.jpg


Welcome to the forum btw.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-26-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CenARJeepChick (Post 314579)
I love the effect the blue leds give the inst. panel. But I have a question-I had my panel out a few months ago because I wanted to tint the bright light indicator bulb-I'm short, its distractingly bright, don't ask. Anyway I couldn't figure out how to remove the bulb from the panel-or more accurately I was afraid to apply too much pressure-so I removed the lens and took a sharpie to the front of the display. Not pretty but at least I'm not blinded. So an tips for removing the bulbs?

Ahh-ha, the all mighty Sharpie Huh?:rofl:
Don't worry, that's how I fix the nicks in my black furniture, phones, toys....well everything really.:D

To remove the bulbs:
Just use some needle-nose pliers, unless you have really small figures.
Gently twist it to the left about 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn.

(The initial turn might take a tiny bit of force to unlock it, being that it has been sitting in that position for 7 years. Just be gentle)

Pull out, replace bulb. Put back in, gently twist to the right 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn until it stops.
(DON'T FORCE IT. ONCE IT STOPS, THATS GOOD ENOUGH:))

If you're referring to your High Beam indicator, it's the very top and center bulb in between your blinker bulbs.
(in a 98 anyways)(2002 may be a different location)

If you're going to replace with the LED's, use your stock bulb locks. The ones from autoillumination are JUNK and do not hold very well.

Good luck!:)

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-27-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 314542)
so its nice and even then? Good. If i have some extra money to spare, i'll do it.

Yeah, the lights in mine are nice and even. There may be a bit of a color spike at the tips of the needles. There is also a little difference between the MPH and KM/H, but thats just because the KM/H are originally blue, while the MPH is originally white. See what mean?

It all depends on how long you STARE at it I guess.
Even if you stare at something beautiful long enough, you'll eventually find SOMETHING wrong with it!
But that's just me.:) lol.

:rofl:

Neil F. 01-27-2009 11:40 AM

I was going to do the blue bulbs but opted for a glow face gauge.

HVAC LED's in HVAC housing - JeepForum.com

Install: Dash Mod - LEDs and Brushed Aluminum Faceplate
JeepsUnlimited.com Forums
Blue dashboard backlighting - JeepForum.com
Install: Dash Mod - LEDs and Brushed Aluminum Faceplate
LED Dash questions - JeepForum.com

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-27-2009 12:21 PM

Yeah, I thought about glow gauges. But the whole set up is White durnig te day, and I dindn't like that at all. They look really good at night though.:)

Nice links Neil. They will definately answer some questions for others. I had already read them though. That HVAC is for 99+ models, I have a 98 slider. Since all the pics were removed from it, it being 99+, and he was talking about adding additional lights to the HVAC along with his original 3, it didn't really apply to what I needed. So I'm still looking.

But...if I don't find anything by the time I receive the 194's, I'll just crack it open and see what I find. It's always nice going in with a good idea though.:)

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-27-2009 07:00 PM

Here's the scoop on the Green Filter Plastic that's inside your Auto Shifter Light and HVAC Light:

I received the 194 bulbs today from autoillumination. It plugged in fine to the existing connector. However, the diameter of the bulb was too big for the housing it has to fit into up in the PRND21 housing. The size I bought was 11mm DIA. Now you know to stay away from 11mm. And now I'm out $30 for those 2 bulbs.:mad:

If anyone wants them from something other than the PRND21 light, let me know. It's the Tower III with 25 LEDs on it. YEP, NICE AND BRIGHT!:D

The Good News:
I was right about how the color would turn out through the Green Filter though. Just as suspected, it's a Teal color. Blue+Green=Teal, common sense.
So if anyone was waiting to see if that Green Filter would let the BLUE through, yes it does, GO FOR IT! It just won't be that nice soothing deep blue of your gauge cluster. But the Teal looks better than that ugly a$$ green any day IMO.:)

Now, we just have to see what bulb is going to actually fit that housing.

Haven't got to the HVAC yet, but at least we know what color it will light up now.:D

Giancarlo 01-27-2009 10:51 PM

post pictures and stuff lol

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-28-2009 12:46 AM

of what?

Neil F. 01-28-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN (Post 314835)
Yeah, I thought about glow gauges. But the whole set up is White durnig te day, and I dindn't like that at all. They look really good at night though.:)

.:)

TO tell you the thuth, one of the reasons I got it was to brighten up the interior a little. I have the black/dark slate interior and it was too much black for me. I also added a brushed overlay so I only the white gauge semi-circles show. I also needed the overlay to cut out portions of the overlay. I knew it when buying the gauge face from the pictures, dispie what the ebay ads say, the gauge faces are not for the 03+ dash. Some of the clear portions do not match the symbols on the 03+.

Giancarlo 01-28-2009 08:24 AM

the new bulbs on the other stuff .. lol

orange05tj 01-28-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN (Post 315103)
Here's the scoop on the Green Filter Plastic that's inside your Auto Shifter Light and HVAC Light:

I received the 194 bulbs today from autoillumination. It plugged in fine to the existing connector. However, the diameter of the bulb was too big for the housing it has to fit into up in the PRND21 housing. The size I bought was 11mm DIA. Now you know to stay away from 11mm. And now I'm out $30 for those 2 bulbs.:mad:

If anyone wants them from something other than the PRND21 light, let me know. It's the Tower III with 25 LEDs on it. YEP, NICE AND BRIGHT!:D

The Good News:
I was right about how the color would turn out through the Green Filter though. Just as suspected, it's a Teal color. Blue+Green=Teal, common sense.
So if anyone was waiting to see if that Green Filter would let the BLUE through, yes it does, GO FOR IT! It just won't be that nice soothing deep blue of your gauge cluster. But the Teal looks better than that ugly a$$ green any day IMO.:)

Now, we just have to see what bulb is going to actually fit that housing.

Haven't got to the HVAC yet, but at least we know what color it will light up now.:D

Remove the face plate and on the back ,scrape off the green chit. It should look like its ironed on.


Heres a pic of the wide angle led's I installed in my wifes car. Used to be green

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...02_20_full.jpg

Even in the day they looked green, but now they are white

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...302_7_full.jpg

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-28-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 315321)
Remove the face plate and on the back ,scrape off the green chit. It should look like its ironed on.

The PRND21 housing looks to all be one piece, without an entry point. I'm not sure about the HVAC yet.

I'm not sure I'd scrape it off though anyways. If I could remove it, to where I would be able to put it back on, then yes. But to just scrape it off, probably not. If I ever have to sell my TJ, the next owner might not like the blue. And if they didn't want to mess with LEDs, they'd be stuck with white light, and that might deter them from purchasing.

Good suggestion though.:)
I'm just not dead set on keeping this TJ for all eternity.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 315321)
Heres a pic of the wide angle led's I installed in my wifes car. Used to be green

Looks good man.:)
I was telling Trip about how the camera pics up in-perfections in the uniformity of the light that are not there. Is this the case with yours as well, or is the light uneven like it appears in the photo?

youngwranglerman87 01-28-2009 03:11 PM

do they have this for a 87 wrangler.. id love to have all my guages like that

orange05tj 01-28-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN (Post 315497)



Looks good man.:)
I was telling Trip about how the camera pics up in-perfections in the uniformity of the light that are not there. Is this the case with yours as well, or is the light uneven like it appears in the photo?


its from the camera. They are very blue. The headlights are the same

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-28-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giancarlo (Post 315317)
the new bulbs on the other stuff .. lol

Sorry, I can't. Already shipped them back and ordered new.
Why would you want pictures of a bulb that does't fit? :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 315537)
its from the camera. They are very blue. The headlights are the same

There's your double conformation Tripp. NOW GO ORDER SOME!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngwranglerman87 (Post 315530)
do they have this for a 87 wrangler.. id love to have all my guages like that

It all depends on if they make an LED replacement bulb for your OEM bulb.
I found this bulb guide from Sylvania.
This should help everyone here with their Jeeps and other vehicles as well.:)


OSRAM SYLVANIA - Replacement Guide - Start

After you found the bulb you want to replace, go to this site and see if they make the corresponding replacement LED in the color you want.

Autolumination Instrument Panel Light Bulbs & Lamps)

Be sure and make sure that the new bulb will fit ahead of time!

I just ran into a situation where 2 did not. When asking about a refund, they told me they will exchange dollar for dollar for an equal or higher $ order to replace the ones that don't fit. If it is lesser, or you want a simple refund, they'll charge you a 20% restocking fee. This way, they can get even MORE of your money because they know you won't want to loose the extra. Yeah, what a bunch of creeps!:mad:

They also charge a ridiculous shipping fee.
I only live 2 hours from them, and the shipping should only be $1.50. When I asked if they would do something about there rate, they said no and gave me a BS answer as to why. I'm paying $4.00 per shipment. That's larceny! These guys are out to bend you over the table every way they can. So do yourself a favor and get everything right before contacting them.
Good Luck.:)

orange05tj 01-28-2009 07:29 PM

As for the camera affecting the light, here are 2 pics of the same lights. These are 8K HID's and as you see the tops are white looking and the next pic looks blue but off camera, they appear as blue as my gauges.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...8554ffwfwe.jpg
(now I know why people highbeam my wife all the time)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...02_34_full.jpg

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-29-2009 01:38 PM

Yeah, our everyday digital cameras just don't do things justice. Some of them can, but the user really needs to know what they are doing.

orange05tj 01-29-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN (Post 316030)
Yeah, our everyday digital cameras just don't do things justice. Some of them can, but the user really needs to know what they are doing.

True, off subject, Im digging Pantara in the sig and the Slayer album for location. I thought I was one of the few metal heads left (80's metal that is, not this Marlyn Manson crap either). :punk:

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-29-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 316033)
True, off subject, Im digging Pantara in the sig and the Slayer album for location. I thought I was one of the few metal heads left (80's metal that is, not this Marlyn Manson crap either). :punk:

Man...
You are the only one that has picked up on that. At least the only one that has said anything. Good to know that there ARE some people left out there that know what REAL music IS!
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...YS/36_2_16.gif
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...ES/DIME2-1.jpg

orange05tj 01-29-2009 02:03 PM

I should have picked it up on your name

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01-29-2009 02:08 PM

Yep, that says it all right there doesn't it?

Now, do you know where the quote in the SIG comes from?

Twozerofd 01-29-2009 02:09 PM

OK so I decided to order some LED's for the dash, I found these guys 74 LED - Blue LED

I was supposed to get them today, but the recent snow storm (or lack thereof) in the northeast postponed my delivery date until tomorrow. I'll take pics when i get them to show you guys.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.