Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   K&N Drop In OR CAI Style ? That is the Question! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/k-and-n-drop-in-or-cai-style-that-is-the-question-257525.html)

Labrat0116 07-22-2013 11:26 AM

K&N Drop In OR CAI Style ? That is the Question!
 
Cost vs Benefits ?

K&N Drop In OR Homemade CAI Style intake ?

Both can be had for around $40.

So which one will provide the best boost in the LOW RPMs (ie Fuel economy driving range) ?

PieFace 07-22-2013 11:35 AM

CAI Style

the sound alone is worth it.

AFE CAI.wmv - YouTube

clvnmcd 07-22-2013 11:41 AM

For me neither.... AFE DryPRO S Drop in. Keeps the Jeep from Sucking in water and it doesn't have to be oiled when it's cleaned.

shelbydog 07-22-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvnmcd (Post 3989686)
For me neither.... AFE DryPRO S Drop in. Keeps the Jeep from Sucking in water and it doesn't have to be oiled when it's cleaned.


How?

Up Hill Bill 07-22-2013 12:19 PM

You couldn't pay me to put a K&N in my Jeep!

Put one in your carbureted racing motorcycle, that's what they were designed for. They are ancient technology - no good for modern engines - especially one that is going to see a lot of dust!

clvnmcd 07-22-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbydog (Post 3989738)
How?

Using the original configuration with a drop helps to keep the water from getting sucked into the intake. Whereas the Open CAI style has the filter right out there in the open of the Engine Compartment.

shelbydog 07-22-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvnmcd (Post 3989804)
Using the original configuration with a drop helps to keep the water from getting sucked into the intake. Whereas the Open CAI style has the filter right out there in the open of the Engine Compartment.


OOOOOooo.... I thought the filter itself helped keep water out :doh:

ESP 07-22-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 3989782)
You couldn't pay me to put a K&N in my Jeep!

Put one in your carbureted racing motorcycle, that's what they were designed for. They are ancient technology - no good for modern engines - especially one that is going to see a lot of dust!

x2

Labrat0116 07-22-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvnmcd (Post 3989804)
the Open CAI style has the filter right out there in the open of the Engine Compartment.

Where it's sucking in very hot engine compartment air.

What ? 250 - 300 degree range air Vs ambient air temperatures ?

Whose got a snorkle on their Jeep ?

How about a below the bumper CAI for those that do not water foliage ?

TRAUMAhead 07-23-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labrat0116 (Post 3990845)
Where it's sucking in very hot engine compartment air.

What ? 250 - 300 degree range air Vs ambient air temperatures ?

Whose got a snorkle on their Jeep ?

How about a below the bumper CAI for those that do not water foliage ?

Wouldn't a below bumper CAI still suck in water when it's raining?

+1 on a snorkel, pretty much the only true CAI.

ahsumtoy 07-23-2013 10:33 AM

I second that
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by clvnmcd (Post 3989686)
For me neither.... AFE DryPRO S Drop in. Keeps the Jeep from Sucking in water and it doesn't have to be oiled when it's cleaned.

Go with the AFE. I have one and love it. Forget the K&N.

Scott2373 07-23-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by up hill bill (Post 3989782)
you couldn't pay me to put a k&n in my jeep!

Put one in your carbureted racing motorcycle, that's what they were designed for. They are ancient technology - no good for modern engines - especially one that is going to see a lot of dust!

x2

Scott2373 07-23-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvnmcd (Post 3989686)
For me neither.... AFE DryPRO S Drop in. Keeps the Jeep from Sucking in water and it doesn't have to be oiled when it's cleaned.

I used an Amsoil dry filter on my Liberty and would definitley use one on my Wrangler, however Amsoil never advertised "mind-blowing power gains", LOL. Did you notice "mind-blowing power gains"? HAHAHA!

Scott2373 07-23-2013 11:25 AM

These logos look suspiciously similar...does anyone know for sure if Green Filters are K&N's "dry division"?
K&N:
http://www.knfilters.com/images/logo-worlds-best.png

Green Filter:
http://www.greenfilterusa.com/images...k/gfu_logo.jpg

clvnmcd 07-23-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2373 (Post 3993557)
I used an Amsoil dry filter on my Liberty and would definitley use one on my Wrangler, however Amsoil never advertised "mind-blowing power gains", LOL. Did you notice "mind-blowing power gains"? HAHAHA!

Power Gains.... :rofl:
I like it for the simplicity of washing it when it's dirty and putting it back in.
I have been thinking about installing some stickers for power gains though.:angel:

loud pipes 07-23-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvnmcd (Post 3994561)
Power Gains.... :rofl:
I like it for the simplicity of washing it when it's dirty and putting it back in.
I have been thinking about installing some stickers for power gains though.:angel:

lmao right now...:rofl:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.