Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   35" mtr road force balance or bb's (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/35-mtr-road-force-balance-or-bbs-257614.html)

Boston_Bruins30 07-22-2013 04:32 PM

35" mtr road force balance or bb's
 
Hey all. I'm looking into upgrading to 35" mtr kevlars from my 33" duratracs. Local shop is having a buy 3 get one deal I don't think I can pass up. I have a 4cyl tj but it's geared to 4.88 with a Dana 44 and d30 with chromo shafts and lockers. I put my brothers 35" nitto trail grapplers on last week and drove it around and I can live with the power until I do my 5.3 swap next year. There's really only a difference in 5th gear on the highway from what I could tell. I already got myself approved for a Goodyear credit card which gives me a $160 rebate on a set of four and no interest for 6 months so I'll pay it off while I'm in the desert. I should end up around $930 mounted and balanced.
Anyway my question is this. The local shop running the promotion has a road force balance machine. The local good year who I called for a comparison quote said he would beat the previous deal. He has a coats machine. Should I go with either of them or see if they can do the bb's for me? What's better? Thanks.

Jerry Bransford 07-22-2013 04:47 PM

I'd rather have them Road Force balanced than use BBs. That's what I do with my own 35" GY MT/Rs. Especially since the sound of BBs crashing around inside the wheel when driving slowly or stopping would drive me crazy.

1jeeplvr 07-22-2013 04:49 PM

Well I just had bb's in mine.I never heard them when driving.They helped some but not much.I had 2 bent rims (damn steel rims).I ended up using my spare (never used) and buying a replacement & static balancing my tires.All is good now.

Boston_Bruins30 07-25-2013 05:18 PM

Dropped the jeep off toady. Getting four possibly 5 havent decided yet. Should I get the warranty they sell with the tires also?

Jerry Bransford 07-25-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boston_Bruins30 (Post 4003082)
Should I get the warranty they sell with the tires also?

If you offroad on tough trails that can puncture tires like my trails can, an extra-cost all-hazards tire warranty will soon pay for itself.

Boston_Bruins30 07-25-2013 05:26 PM

Ok so I'll get the warranty. Then pick up the fifth tire from them after my next pay check. Thanks for the input.

Jerry Bransford 07-25-2013 05:34 PM

Make sure their all-hazards tire warranty is worth buying, ask them if it includes damage from offroading. Discount Tire's and America's Tire Store all-hazards warranty is excellent, it is a no-questions asked type of all-hazards including offroad use warranty.

My local San Diego area Express Tire store on the other hand gave me 4 days of MAJOR grief over a sidewall puncture on my then brand-new Goodyear MT/Rs, the earlier non-kevlar version. They said I had "abused" the tire by taking it offroad (hah, the MT/R is meant for offroad use) and for four days refused to honor the warranty I paid extra for. It took me being a royal PITA in their store & going up 3 managerial levels before they finally gave up & agreed to honor the warranty.

That happened around ten years ago, I switched to Discount Tire after that fiasco & have had no more warranty problems.

Boston_Bruins30 07-25-2013 06:43 PM

Sadly no discount tire around me. I'm using a new England chain Sullivan tire. I got my 33" duratracs from them last time they had buy 3 get 1 and I got the hazard. If I recall correctly they said everything is covered and it's prorated on the amount of tread left on the damaged tire. But I will certainly double check when I go in tomorrow and pick it up.

Canyon Dweller 07-26-2013 12:34 AM

Use airsoft pelets not bb's, much quieter. You only hear them on a harder stop...

Boston_Bruins30 07-26-2013 05:17 PM

So I got my tires today. Said they couldn't road force balance them. Too hard on the bigger tires I guess? They balanced them regular. One tire has like 10 oz. and another tire has 12. is that normal. They suggested if they dont drive good some sort of sand stuff they use in big rigs. I assume included with the life time balance because they told me to bring it back if the tires didn't feel right and they will do what they can.

Redsand 07-26-2013 10:57 PM

Any big tire air soft bbs are the way to go, you will never know their there

_________________________________________
"When your stupid, your whole body suffers"

NJO 07-27-2013 02:28 AM

There is nothing better: EQUAL | International Marketing, Inc.

I stopped wasting time with getting my tires balanced with a machine after trying this stuff.

kjeeper10 07-27-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boston_Bruins30 (Post 4006882)
So I got my tires today. Said they couldn't road force balance them. Too hard on the bigger tires I guess? They balanced them regular. One tire has like 10 oz. and another tire has 12. is that normal. They suggested if they dont drive good some sort of sand stuff they use in big rigs. I assume included with the life time balance because they told me to bring it back if the tires didn't feel right and they will do what they can.

Lazy tech. I have the same problem. These guys just don't want to take the time to road force or even match mount tires :facepalm:

eugenesonrisa 07-27-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4008268)
There is nothing better: EQUAL | International Marketing, Inc.

I stopped wasting time with getting my tires balanced with a machine after trying this stuff.

Mind blown!!! Does that stuff really work?

NJO 07-27-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eugenesonrisa (Post 4008660)
Mind blown!!! Does that stuff really work?

Best stuff out there. Try it once and you will NEVER waste your money on balancing tires again or having those wheel weights ding up your rims or fall off etc. or worrying about a "lazy" tech.....6-8oz. in per wheel and a perfect balance every time for the LIFE of the tire. :thumb:

valentine1210 07-27-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4008671)
Best stuff out there. Try it once and you will NEVER waste your money on balancing tires again or having those wheel weights ding up your rims or fall off etc. or worrying about a "lazy" tech.....6-8oz. in per wheel and a perfect balance every time for the LIFE of the tire. :thumb:

What if I wanted to do this with technology with 31s there is no place on the chart for it?

NJO 07-27-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valentine1210 (Post 4008735)
What if I wanted to do this with technology with 31s there is no place on the chart for it?

1 bag does 4 31" tires.......basically 4oz. per tire and good to go.

kjeeper10 07-27-2013 09:35 AM

I have a ton of moisture in my tires. The reason why the smaller Dynabeads failed me.
How would equal react with moisture?

Jerry Bransford 07-27-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boston_Bruins30 (Post 4006882)
So I got my tires today. Said they couldn't road force balance them. Too hard on the bigger tires I guess?

That's a problem with the shop, not the Road Force machine which is how I get my 35" MT/Rs balanced. It is with bigger tires like that where the Road Force machine really shines... when its operator knows WTF he is doing that is.

Canyon Dweller 07-27-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 4008842)
I have a ton of moisture in my tires. The reason why the smaller Dynabeads failed me.
How would equal react with moisture?

Use air soft bb's, they are too big to get clumped together like other options. You can get a super sized container at wal mart for around $20... Problem solved. I like this method because you will not loose wheel weights and you never have to reballance over the life of the tire, even when you tear some lugs off.

J.R. 07-27-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4008268)
There is nothing better: EQUAL | International Marketing, Inc.

I stopped wasting time with getting my tires balanced with a machine after trying this stuff.


Its a powder? Do you find that you loose the powder during airing down before 4 wheeling? Or is it heavy enough to stay in the bottom of the tire?
:popcorn:

1jeeplvr 07-27-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.R. (Post 4009344)
Its a powder? Do you find that you loose the powder during airing down before 4 wheeling? Or is it heavy enough to stay in the bottom of the tire?
:popcorn:

They have a valve stem with a screen to keep it from coming out.

J.R. 07-27-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 4009613)
They have a valve stem with a screen to keep it from coming out.

Ahh. Got it, Thanks. :thumb:

Jerry Bransford 07-27-2013 04:06 PM

I'm a little skeptical of using powder in a tire that is regularly aired down & back up for offroading. And screen or no screen, I don't see it doing anything but eventually clogging up regularly used air pressure gauges, ARB/Currie's tire deflator, etc.

NJO 07-27-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 4008842)
I have a ton of moisture in my tires. The reason why the smaller Dynabeads failed me.
How would equal react with moisture?

It doesn't. Plastic based "powder". BUt your not supposed to have water/moisture in your tires........if you do, then I would be more worried about taking care of that issue before being worried about your tire balance.

NJO 07-27-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.R. (Post 4009344)
Its a powder? Do you find that you loose the powder during airing down before 4 wheeling? Or is it heavy enough to stay in the bottom of the tire?
:popcorn:

Stays in tire during air up/down. They have filter stems, but no one in our group uses them.

kjeeper10 07-27-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4009906)
It doesn't. Plastic based "powder". BUt your not supposed to have water/moisture in your tires........if you do, then I would be more worried about taking care of that issue before being worried about your tire balance.

It's unenviable no ?
I've always had moisture in my tires.

NJO 07-27-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 4010029)
It's unenviable no ?
I've always had moisture in my tires.

Put a trap in your air supply line. ;)

ESP 07-27-2013 05:47 PM

OP what size wheels are you using?

kjeeper10 07-27-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4010048)
Put a trap in your air supply line. ;)

Already in there mounted/balanced lol.
I get your point though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.