Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Looking for a bumper the winch sits inside. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/looking-for-a-bumper-the-winch-sits-inside-257785.html)

Wodalo 07-23-2013 11:03 AM

Looking for a bumper the winch sits inside.

If this has been answered, please direct me to where.

Just ordered a XRC 8 Comp (synthetic) winch and am looking for a front bumper that the winch fits inside. I noticed on the SRC and XRC (JK versions) it fits inside a bit but on TJ versions they sit on top. Is there a reason?

Something like this http://www.carid.com/images/rugged-r...11540-01-2.jpg
but this bumper is $800ish and above what I'd like to spend.

There is a quadratec/ARB for about $500 but the winch opening is rectangular for rollers, mine has a hawse fairlead...

Any suggestions... $350 is my "happy price" but might go to $500ish

Also as per front end drop from extra weight, I can stand (150lbs) on the front bumper with no "noticeable" drop but if there is say a 1/2 inch drop, can I adjust it back up using my JKS disconnects?

Thanks...

Stockish 97 on 31s, no lift "that I can tell", Bilstein 5100s, JKS adjustable disconnects

Ironhead Jed 07-23-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodalo (Post 3993760)
Also as per front end drop from extra weight, I can stand (150lbs) on the front bumper with no "noticeable" drop but if there is say a 1/2 inch drop, can I adjust it back up using my JKS disconnects?

disconnects have nothing to do with lift height. you could add spacers or appropriate springs

Wodalo 07-23-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 3993813)
disconnects have nothing to do with lift height. you could add spacers or appropriate springs

That's what I thought, then I read this...

The unique design of JKS Quicker Disconnects enables the user to quickly and easily fine tune the length to compensate for vehicle changes, such as: spring settling or sagging, minor lift changes, heavy accessories, vehicle trim or rake adjustments, and other factors that affect ride height.

Ironhead Jed 07-23-2013 11:23 AM

adjust the length of the sway-bar link, to match the distance between the sway bar and axle that could vary due to changes in suspension

Wodalo 07-23-2013 11:25 AM

So does that mean that I still would need to use spacers/etc... and they can be adjusted to match, but not used by themselves to adjust back up?

Wodalo 07-23-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 3993829)
adjust the length of the sway-bar link, to match the distance between the sway bar and axle that could vary due to changes in suspension

got it, thanks...

Ironhead Jed 07-23-2013 11:43 AM

spacers are sold in different thicknesses and go above your coils to level out your suspension. when i added a winch it dropped my front nearly an inch, so i went from 2" springs to 3" springs. its a heavy winch, but i would expect the front to drop close to an inch

Wodalo 07-23-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 3993886)
spacers are sold in different thicknesses and go above your coils to level out your suspension. when i added a winch it dropped my front nearly an inch, so i went from 2" springs to 3" springs. its a heavy winch, but i would expect the front to drop close to an inch

Thanks... when I went out and stood on my bumper there was no noticeable drop, I don't know if I have heavier duty springs than stock but the front end is very stiff, even more so since I put the Bilsteins on. That being said, I have no doubt adding a 65lb winch and a 65+lb bumper will require some correction. After we decide on what bumper to go with I'll follow up with how much the drop ends up before looking into my options to correct it.

Any suggestions on my bumper question?

TJDave 07-23-2013 12:37 PM

The only bumper I ever remember seeing that hold and protects your winch completely inside is the original ARB Bull Bar winch bumper.

But, It's a huge heavy pig, and very expensive.

kdilly 07-23-2013 12:42 PM

I STRONGLY reccomend you check out JCR's products.
I just did a write up on one that I ordered about a week ago. My winch is pretty protected because I got the stinger, and it has some gussets on the edge to strengthen it. I would definitely buy from them again.

Here is a link to my write up with pics: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/orde...er-246063.html

Wodalo 07-23-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 3994057)
The only bumper I ever remember seeing that hold and protects your winch completely inside is the original ARB Bull Bar winch bumper.

But, It's a huge heavy pig, and very expensive.

Yeah... I like the ARB, but 1000 bucks for a bumper would not fly with the boss. Our TJ is still in the "needy teenager" phase, still need the rear 5100s, new BFGs, body mounts, +++.

I was looking at the XHD bumper too but would rather have a one piece bumper, + its pretty expensive too once you add on all the pieces...

Wodalo 07-23-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdilly (Post 3994074)
I STRONGLY reccomend you check out JCR's products.
I just did a write up on one that I ordered about a week ago. My winch is pretty protected because I got the stinger, and it has some gussets on the edge to strengthen it. I would definitely buy from them again.

Here is a link to my write up with pics: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/orde...er-246063.html

Thanks... Not exactly what we were looking for but Made in the USA and nice prices puts them on the table. It would be a plus not have a standard "walmart" bumper ;)

I'll have the boss take a look.

Wodalo 07-23-2013 02:25 PM

Well, after doing a bit of reading, it seems there is something on the TJ preventing a sunken winch. I still don't understand how ARB and Rugged Ridge make the only two bumpers that have a sunken winch. How is it THEY can make one?

The ARB Bull Bar Bumper has it sunk, but has the cut out for the roller fairlead, not the synthetic fairlead (which I have and prefer) leaving ONLY the XHD.

I emailed JCR Offroad, I guess I'll wait and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks for the help.

Ironhead Jed 07-23-2013 02:36 PM

I dont believe it is "sunken" on the ARB bumpers as much as the bumpers are extremely large and cover more of the top of the winch. all that does is make the bumper even heavier

there is no way that my winch would fit between the frame rails with the steering box there. thats why you wont find any truly sunken winch mounts on a tj

UnlimitedRubicon 07-23-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodalo (Post 3994453)
it seems there is something on the TJ preventing a sunken winch

the tubular cross member?

Wodalo 07-23-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedRubicon (Post 3994522)
the tubular cross member?

Yes. It seems the ARB and the XHD are the only two that make a taller bumper to sink the winch on a TJ. The winch still sits on the cross member like the other bumpers but the ARB and XHD sit up higher allowing a half sunk winch.

JCR Offroad explained that the higher/taller bumper is how they achieve a sunken winch, but didn't explain if there was a disadvantage, or why only two bumpers for the TJ are made that way...

I contacted ARB and a few fabricators but without custom fabbing something it looks like the XHD is the only one with a sunken winch made for a hawse fairlead.

brs256 07-23-2013 04:38 PM

the arb bumper is isimply taller than normal bumpers, you cant make a winch hidden at normal height because you cant fit a winch in between the fraim rails of a tj

Wodalo 07-23-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 3994498)
I dont believe it is "sunken" on the ARB bumpers as much as the bumpers are extremely large and cover more of the top of the winch. all that does is make the bumper even heavier

there is no way that my winch would fit between the frame rails with the steering box there. thats why you wont find any truly sunken winch mounts on a tj

Agreed... as per weight, I saved about 20 lbs going with the synthetic winch so to add it back with a heavier bumper is ok.

Besides, I'm really looking to get my mpg down to about 7. 8mpg just gives me way too much freedom ;)

1jeeplvr 07-23-2013 06:02 PM

I was researching this a few weeks back & Jerry B is the one that mentioned the ARB bumper fits the bill.But they are damn spendy

JcrOffroad 07-24-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodalo (Post 3994948)
JCR Offroad explained that the higher/taller bumper is how they achieve a sunken winch, but didn't explain if there was a disadvantage, or why only two bumpers for the TJ are made that way...

The only real disadvantages would be blocking more air flow into the radiator and excessive additional weight. Other than those two factors, it all becomes preference on looks/design.

We don't offer anything like this because of the weight issues. These days, everyone is concerned about too much weight hanging on their Jeeps. Our front SWB bumpers weigh in around 45lbs. An ARB Front, is more than double that.

MosesTJ 07-24-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3995243)
I was researching this a few weeks back & Jerry B is the one that mentioned the ARB bumper fits the bill.But they are damn spendy

Very nice looking pieces. I actually was looking at the tire carrier last year and the price on them has gone up about $200+ since then pushing it out of my range. It was a great deal before but I will look for an alternative.

Wodalo 07-25-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JcrOffroad (Post 3997041)
The only real disadvantages would be blocking more air flow into the radiator and excessive additional weight. Other than those two factors, it all becomes preference on looks/design.

We don't offer anything like this because of the weight issues. These days, everyone is concerned about too much weight hanging on their Jeeps. Our front SWB bumpers weigh in around 45lbs. An ARB Front, is more than double that.

Thanks JCR. My wife likes the XRC and we got a quote of 332.49 shipped. A new bumper was not in the "plan" but if a new bumper is only a few hundred more than a winch plate for the stock bumper, it's worth considering.

I like your SWB PreRunner Winch Bumper but it costs 100 bucks more shipped... I prefer made in the US, but at the end of the day it's up to the boss. We are planning on getting one next week. Can you tell me the lead time and weight on this bumper?

Thanks.

Todd H 07-25-2013 10:01 AM

I bought the Body Armor tj-19531 bumper last year for a little over $300. It's a pretty solid steel bumper IMO.

http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/products/...r_TJ_19531.jpg

Wodalo 07-25-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3995243)

Yeah, Quadratec has a TJ ARB for 500 that sits the winch a couple inches inside. We like that one, it was exactly what we were looking for but it has the opening for a roller fairlead and looks funny with the smaller billet fairlead. I contacted ARB and they said they don't make them for the synthetic winch fairleads. It's a bummer, 500 is more than we wanted to spend, but we would have ordered that one if they made one for the hawse...

Wodalo 07-25-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd H (Post 4001478)
I bought the Body Armor tj-19531 bumper last year for a little over $300. It's a pretty solid steel bumper IMO.

http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/products/...r_TJ_19531.jpg

I saw that one too. We moved here to Indiana from that area. They used to be off the 91 freeway in Riverside or Corona in SoCal. Got any pics of it on your jeep?

Todd H 07-25-2013 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodalo (Post 4001584)

I saw that one too. We moved here to Indiana from that area. They used to be off the 91 freeway in Riverside or Corona in SoCal. Got any pics of it on your jeep?

Attachment 277226

Haven't bought my Engo winch yet but it's on my list.

R u s s 07-25-2013 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine has a factory warn which bolts over the factory bumper. Got mine of craigslist for 35 bucks here is a pic. Hope this helps

Wodalo 07-25-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd H (Post 4001651)
Attachment 277226

Haven't bought my Engo winch yet but it's on my list.

Looks cool bro...

I noticed you still have the plastic sway bar cover on there, does that mean you will need to add a winch plate to bolt a winch on, I only see holes for the front bolts?

Todd H 07-25-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodalo (Post 4001678)

Looks cool bro...

I noticed you still have the plastic sway bar cover on there, does that mean you will need to add a winch plate to bolt a winch on, I only see holes for the front bolts?

There's holes in the back too. Just haven't figured out yet what I want to do with the cover. Just left it on for now.

Wodalo 07-25-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R u s s (Post 4001655)
Mine has a factory warn which bolts over the factory bumper. Got mine of craigslist for 35 bucks here is a pic. Hope this helps

Dang dude, 35 bucks is a steal. Is that a separate winch plate and grille guard or is it all one piece?