Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Deciding on the kind of lift to get, help? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/deciding-on-the-kind-of-lift-to-get-help-257793.html)

Joshs1900 07-23-2013 11:43 AM

Deciding on the kind of lift to get, help?
 
Ok so ive had my rig for a good while now, and im finally deciding to lift it! trying to get some ideas on what to expect to spend, and what kit would fit me the best. id like something pretty good for taking on the trails, but decent on the road. and preferably a decent budget, id like to do maybe a 4 inch lift as well, though ive heard something about a 2 inch lift giving you a net lift of 4 inches? i dont really understand :banghead: , sorry new to this and looking to learn! wanna have the best bang for my buck! thanks if anyone can help!

00silverTJ 07-23-2013 11:47 AM

Do a tummy tuck and SYE first.


SSSYE, DCDS, 1.25" BL, 1"MML, and high clearance transfer case skid.

Then move on to your lift.

Then tires and gears.

TJDave 07-23-2013 12:13 PM

The first thing is to wheel your Jeep as is, which you have already done.

Next is to decide what size tires you want to run. That will help you decide what lift to get.
Hopefully, you will only have to do it once by sticking to that tire size, and buying a good lift.

Many ways to achieve lift. Obviously, the taller lift and bigger tires you have, the more you will have to spend to make everything work right. Proper suspension geometry, gears, brakes, etc. etc.

For me, I like the combo lifts: Springs plus a small body lift. The body lift will allow you to replace the humongous earth brake of a transfer case skid, if you decide to get one. The slightly shorter springs with a combo lift means a little better driveline angles.

Lots of info and opinions plastered all over this site and others about lifts. Countless hours of reading.

Whatever you decide, spend the extra for the good stuff. I made the mistake of going cheap on my adjustable control arms and they are worn out and clunking after 3 years.
Now I have to buy some good ones that I should of sprung for in the first place.

One example of a combo lift. I have 3" springs, 1.25" Body lift, and 35" tires, tummy tuck, regear, lockers, axle swap, shafts, upgraded brakes, SYE, etc. etc.

Open your wallet, and have some fun!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...ps77e72a4c.jpg

Joshs1900 07-23-2013 01:04 PM

Thanks!! I got a lot to learn haha, i definitely was thinking about 35's and then doing the combo lift. Whats an SYE? Thanks alot for the info fellas, obviously a newb here haha

Joshs1900 07-23-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 3993984)
The first thing is to wheel your Jeep as is, which you have already done.

Next is to decide what size tires you want to run. That will help you decide what lift to get.
Hopefully, you will only have to do it once by sticking to that tire size, and buying a good lift.

Many ways to achieve lift. Obviously, the taller lift and bigger tires you have, the more you will have to spend to make everything work right. Proper suspension geometry, gears, brakes, etc. etc.

For me, I like the combo lifts: Springs plus a small body lift. The body lift will allow you to replace the humongous earth brake of a transfer case skid, if you decide to get one. The slightly shorter springs with a combo lift means a little better driveline angles.

Lots of info and opinions plastered all over this site and others about lifts. Countless hours of reading.

Whatever you decide, spend the extra for the good stuff. I made the mistake of going cheap on my adjustable control arms and they are worn out and clunking after 3 years.
Now I have to buy some good ones that I should of sprung for in the first place.

One example of a combo lift. I have 3" springs, 1.25" Body lift, and 35" tires, tummy tuck, regear, lockers, axle swap, shafts, upgraded brakes, SYE, etc. etc.

Open your wallet, and have some fun!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...ps77e72a4c.jpg

Nice jeep! Cant wait for mine to get there

TJDave 07-23-2013 02:22 PM

SYE=slip yoke eliminator. All TJ's (except Rubicons) have a slip yoke style rear driveshaft. The travel required of your driveshaft as your suspension cycles happens at the splined output shaft on your transfer case. Problem is this design with the stock driveshaft can not handle the increased angle of a lift without dropping the transfer case and skid with spacers. Counter productive, IMO.

An SYE replaces your splined output shaft with a fixed yoke style. You then have to purchase a double cardon drive shaft, and adjustable rear control arms to correct the pinion angle needed for the lift....among other things.

The more you lift, the more you need. It never ends, because there is a ton of stuff I don't need that I still want to buy. LOL!

Joshs1900 07-23-2013 02:39 PM

I think im catching on! so getting the sye before hand is setting myself up that way when i lift there shouldnt be any problems. i can just see all the money im about to blow haha, any recommendations on SYE kits? Could someone with little mechanical experience instal one without too many problems? what about the bl, mml, and tummy tuck? i have access to a garage with basically any tool i need, just dont have the experience.

so much to do! i cant believe it took over a year for me to start getting into this.

00silverTJ 07-28-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshs1900 (Post 3994511)
I think im catching on! so getting the sye before hand is setting myself up that way when i lift there shouldnt be any problems. i can just see all the money im about to blow haha, any recommendations on SYE kits? Could someone with little mechanical experience instal one without too many problems? what about the bl, mml, and tummy tuck? i have access to a garage with basically any tool i need, just dont have the experience.

so much to do! i cant believe it took over a year for me to start getting into this.

You can do it all yourself. I recommend the JB conversions super short slip yoke eliminator. A couple other similar products have come on the market which I don't know anything about.

Start spraying down your body bolts now. In my frame swap thread I show a few access points for lubing the body nuts. Drill the necessary holes to access all of them with a straw spray nozzle.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fr...-situ-1175707/

shlongo 08-01-2013 06:39 PM

I too am lifting my TJ for the first time, but I'm also doing the 8.8 swap so I figured now is to time to raise it. I wanted to know if there are any issues with using coil spring spacers? I decided to just do a 2in lift and bought a Rough Country 658.20 - 2-inch Suspension Lift Kit with Premium N2.0 Series Shocks. I'm hoping I didn't waste my money.

KX6D 08-03-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 3993984)
Whatever you decide, spend the extra for the good stuff. I made the mistake of going cheap on my adjustable control arms and they are worn out and clunking after 3 years.

A short story....

When I first bought my Jeep I was warned to "do it right the first time" from people who were on their third or fourth suspension package. I only kinda listened...

I wanted the TnT Customs Rock-Tek. It was a little expensive at the time so I went with a budget Rough Country 2.5" X-Series...MISTAKE!!! I've replaced all the joints with genuine Johnny Joints. They started clunking within MONTHS!!! So much for saving money!

Someday I'll have the Clayton Offroad Suspension. In the mean time, the Rough Country junk is coming out and the Savvy/Currie 4" kit is going in w/ Bilstien Shocks! I highly recommend the Savvy/Currie!!!!

Also get the Savvy 1.25" body lift and Motor Mount Lift!!! You need the MML if you are raising the body and the BL will give you more clearance for your tires. The MML gives you future options for their excellent under armour kit!!! The Savvy body lift actually uses aluminum spacers that are concave/convex and centers the body on the mount! My 1.25" Rough Country lift were only plastic spacers and allowed the body to shift on the mounts a little...yes the bolts were tight! Once again, I spent money TWICE!!!

I'm not handing out any Kool-Aid here. My advise is based on my own experience using my brain and my pocketbook! Before you look ANYWHERE else, look at Savvy! They actually wheel what they build! They are great guys! (Blain can be a little rough, but he is like the Linux operating system...very user friendly, just choosey who his friends are! ;))

KX6D 08-03-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shlongo (Post 4029187)
I decided to just do a 2in lift and bought a Rough Country 658.20 - 2-inch Suspension Lift Kit with Premium N2.0 Series Shocks. I'm hoping I didn't waste my money.

:doh::nonono::doh::nonono::doh::nonono:

Gixxer86g 08-03-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shlongo (Post 4029187)
I too am lifting my TJ for the first time, but I'm also doing the 8.8 swap so I figured now is to time to raise it. I wanted to know if there are any issues with using coil spring spacers? I decided to just do a 2in lift and bought a Rough Country 658.20 - 2-inch Suspension Lift Kit with Premium N2.0 Series Shocks. I'm hoping I didn't waste my money.

If you are only looking for 2 inches, give BDS a look.

NJO 08-03-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KX6D (Post 4035595)
:doh::nonono::doh::nonono::doh::nonono:

Nothing wrong with RC progressive springs......the spring rates are on par with stock which is a good thing.....and the nitro shocks are fine LD units for the occasional wheeler/DD.

NJO 08-03-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gixxer86g (Post 4035759)

If you are only looking for 2 inches, give BDS a look.

Bds springs are great.......if your jeep is loaded with heavy accesories and armor.....but for typical stockish jeep they are really stiff and need really good monotubes to keep under control without fading.

shlongo 08-07-2013 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KX6D (Post 4035595)
:doh::nonono::doh::nonono::doh::nonono:

I gather that this response is not in favor of my decision, but I still have to say " ENGLISH!! Mother$&@#€r, Do You Speak it!?!"

Attachment 282833


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.