Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   BB lift advice? front larger than rear? issues? tips? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/bb-lift-advice-front-larger-than-rear-issues-tips-257808.html)

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 01:21 PM

BB lift advice? front larger than rear? issues? tips?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I've been looking for quite awhile at so many BB lifts as I want to keep my stock shocks and just want an economical lift for looks and to fit 31's maybe 32's.

I noticed today my jeep has almost 2" more clearance in the back (granted my front tires are prob at 15-20% and the rear 60-65%) call it 1.5" more in the back

I'm thinking of replacing the front "stock spacer" that's .5" or .75" I believe with a 2.5" spacer. I know the stock ones don't need to be remove but I feel like its better to replace it rather than just stack another on top.

Then for the back just get a spacer that's an inch smaller and replace that "stock spacer" (if the rear has one?) with it.

Will I need any extended bump stops? Will I need an alignment? Any issues? Anyone have something similar? Pics appreciated thanks :)

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 01:30 PM

Sorry for all the repetitive pics. Idk how that happened

jeepwayoflife 07-23-2013 02:35 PM

How many miles on the jeep? Over time the springs begin to sag, especially in the front. Instead of buying 2" spacers, I would buy some quality 2" lift springs. OME makes very nice 2" lift springs that will give you the lift you want, a soft ride, will perform better offroad (you dont have to worry about coil bind), and will last longer than the stock springs.

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3994492)
How many miles on the jeep? Over time the springs begin to sag, especially in the front. Instead of buying 2" spacers, I would buy some quality 2" lift springs. OME makes very nice 2" lift springs that will give you the lift you want, a soft ride, will perform better offroad (you dont have to worry about coil bind), and will last longer than the stock springs.

Almost 115,000 miles and would I be able to use new 2" lift springs with stock shocks?

I don't want to spend crazy money and don't want anything that can cause problems like wobble either. This jeep will be on the road 95% of the time maybe light offroading every great once in a while.

Dextreme 07-23-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbotelho15 (Post 3994617)
would I be able to use new 2" lift springs with stock shocks?.

Yes, a good option is the 2" BDS springs.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1640/lo3q.jpg

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3994641)

Yes, a good option is the 2" BDS springs.

Maybe I will look into this but not entirely sure yet. I've heard the back is naturally higher to hold up weight for a hardtop and I have a softtop only. Is this true? Or are they really saggy?

jeepwayoflife 07-23-2013 03:51 PM

Hard top models had different spring rates (stiffer for hard top). Same with engine size I believe.

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 04:06 PM

To spend that much I feel I might as well do something that comes with shocks too. how about something like this? (This would be the most I am willing to spend) these I believe I saw someone here running 33x10.5x15 tires (which I probably would want one day as my jeep has the dana 44)

SkyJacker 2.5" kit
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_12X_A_PG.htm

Dextreme 07-23-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbotelho15 (Post 3994861)
To spend that much I feel I might as well do something that comes with shocks too. how about something like this? (This would be the most I am willing to spend) these I believe I saw someone here running 33x10.5x15 tires (which I probably would want one day as my jeep has the dana 44)

SkyJacker 2.5" kit
Skyjacker 2.5" System Lift Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

If you like a stiff hard ride, then its an option. This would be a better way to go for just over $400 (click the 2" tab)

1997-2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ Standard 6.5" lift kit 467H | BDS Suspension


If you want to run 33", check out these options. (way better than skyjacker or roughcountry)
http://zoneoffroad.com/prod-display?ca=1&ma=6&mo=56

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3994905)

If you like a stiff hard ride, then its an option. This would be a better way to go for just over $400 (click the 2" tab)

1997-2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ Standard 6.5" lift kit 467H | BDS Suspension

If you want to run 33", check out these options. (way better than skyjacker or roughcountry)
http://zoneoffroad.com/prod-display?ca=1&ma=6&mo=56

My Jeep is an 04. And I'm on the fence about 33's I don't want to sacrifice performance and overall ride quality just to look cool. Plus I'm a really cheap guy and ussually buy tires used lol

Dextreme 07-23-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbotelho15 (Post 3994969)
My Jeep is an 04. And I'm on the fence about 33's I don't want to sacrifice performance and overall ride quality just to look cool. Plus I'm a really cheap guy and ussually buy tires used lol

Well, do a 2-3" spring lift now and run your 31"s. If you want to run 33's some day, then add in a 1.25" Body lift at that time. :thumb:

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 04:57 PM

I think I am just going to swap out the coils and keep my stock struts. Should I replace just my front springs and add a small spacer if needed in the back or will it ride like crap and I should swap all 4?

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 05:07 PM

Alright def going to look into a spring lift then. Do the rear springs need to match the front springs? I would prob do just the front ones first to see how much lift I need for the rear to be level?

CWest22 07-23-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3995007)

Well, do a 2-3" spring lift now and run your 31"s. If you want to run 33's some day, then add in a 1.25" Body lift at that time. :thumb:

You won't need a bl to run 33 with a 2 or 3 in". I run the zone 3" with 33x12.5x 15 and they work great I wheel my jeep often as well. Another person I run with runs a 2" and 33s he rubs when flexed but as op stated its more of a road queen. If it was me I'd buy the bds 2" it comes with shocks. No need to extend bumpstop and stock sway bar links should still fit.

CWest22 07-23-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbotelho15 (Post 3995083)
Alright def going to look into a spring lift then. Do the rear springs need to match the front springs? I would prob do just the front ones first to see how much lift I need for the rear to be level?

It's usually about a half inch but depends on spring rate.

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 05:23 PM

Spring lift kits seem to be more expensive than just buying lomger springs seperately but also seem to bring some extra hardware? Should I get a lift kit with springs or can I buy just the springs?

Gixxer86g 07-23-2013 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The BDS 2in kit is cost effective, and works quite nicely. The ride will be firm, but not harsh. You will notice an improvement on all surfaces.

Here's my 98 with this kit, with additional 3/4 spacers up front to compensate for the winch/winch plate/bumper. I'm running 31s.

rdock31 07-23-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gixxer86g (Post 3995158)
The BDS 2in kit is cost effective, and works quite nicely. The ride will be firm, but not harsh. You will notice an improvement on all surfaces.

Here's my 98 with this kit, with additional 3/4 spacers up front to compensate for the winch/winch plate/bumper. I'm running 31s.

x2. I just installed the kit, and I love the ride. Firm like stated above, but not harsh at all. It absorbs bumps better that I expected. Great base to build your rig off of.

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3994641)
Yes, a good option is the 2" BDS springs.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1640/lo3q.jpg

I didn't see that these were bought in pairs lol. In that case that's a very cheap option I can run these on stock shocks and everything? just swap out my stock springs?

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdock31 (Post 3995163)
x2. I just installed the kit, and I love the ride. Firm like stated above, but not harsh at all. It absorbs bumps better that I expected. Great base to build your rig off of.

by "kit" do you mean just bought the springs or is there other hardware?

jbotelho15 07-23-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gixxer86g (Post 3995158)
The BDS 2in kit is cost effective, and works quite nicely. The ride will be firm, but not harsh. You will notice an improvement on all surfaces.

Here's my 98 with this kit, with additional 3/4 spacers up front to compensate for the winch/winch plate/bumper. I'm running 31s.

Thanks for the pics! :thumb:Do you bring it off road a lot? I don't offroad now but never know in the future!

rdock31 07-23-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbotelho15 (Post 3995177)
by "kit" do you mean just bought the springs or is there other hardware?

I was referring to springs/shocks. I have a track bar relocation bracket for the rear I haven't gotten around to installing yet that I bought separate. I also have a set of disconnects up front I installed. I attached a pic of my TJ.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.