Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Another damn tire question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/another-damn-tire-question-258019.html)

Moose5 07-24-2013 10:34 AM

Sorry to keep barraging the forum with repeated questions, but i need advice on what tire to get.

I spend a lot of time driving on the highway, and ive been looking around for a 33 inch tire that would fare me well on the trail

People have recommended duratracs, and i understand they are a great tire. But im reAding a lot of mixed reviews saying they are loud and wear rather quickly. Also, apparently in hot weather, since it is a softer tire handling is reduced?

If anyone can shoot me some recommendations of a good offroad tire that has a good tread life and minimal noise, it would be appreciated. My offroad use isnt very frequent so i need a tire that will be somewhat reliable and comfortable on the highway. Thanks

FXnut 07-24-2013 10:51 AM

You can't go wrong with BFG in my opinion, either the all terrain or KM2s, depending how aggressive you wanted to get. I've had BFGs on all my rigs other than the '04 Rubi which came with MTRs which I hated.. they wore out so quick I found. I also had an '85 Toyota 4runner on 35" BFGs and ran it to the cottage 3.5 hours from my house quite often, and never had any issues..

insylem 07-24-2013 10:53 AM

I'm hungry

hair2831 07-24-2013 10:54 AM

I've got KM2's on my Jeep and they ride fine to me. I have about 13k miles on them and you can't even tell. They have very low noise and the kick butt off road. I rotate them often though.

Moose5 07-24-2013 10:56 AM

Ill take a look at the BFGs then... Can anyone with duratracs attest to their tires noise, tread life etc...

ShreksJK2010 07-24-2013 10:58 AM

I've been running Duratracs now for about a year and have had no issues. Only issue I had initially was the dealer put about 38 lbs of pressure in the tires which made the jeep feel flighty. I lowered them to about 25 lbs and no prob. Personally I think the Duratracs are more quiet than the bfg were. Just my two cents.

dawhitesJKU 07-24-2013 12:24 PM

here you go. quiet, high mileage, awesome customer service as seen on the thread below, and offroad proven (by active members...me and jadmt)

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/toy...ad-236975.html

GoldenSahara00 07-24-2013 12:29 PM

:rofl: Who the hell said the duratracs are loud? they should hear my MTRs... Duratracs are a great tire and I would strongly suggest them for a DD. If you plan on wheeling a little bit more, go with the KM2s.

5150Rubicon 07-24-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose5 (Post 3997780)
Ill take a look at the BFGs then... Can anyone with duratracs attest to their tires noise, tread life etc...

Go with Duratracs 285's (just under 33"). All the random wind, knocks, rumbles, rattles and clicks from your Jeep will surely drown out any road noise that the duratracs made (duratracs are well-known to be one of the most quiet tires with aggressive tread). You said you do not off-road often. Duratracs are fine offroad (tons of guys use em')...but where they really shine is on road.

dawhitesJKU 07-24-2013 12:36 PM

i agree with the guys...duratracs are NOT loud. the loudest at are perhaps the nitto terra grapplers.

Jaker jk 07-24-2013 12:41 PM

Why is it when it comes to a good tire hardly anybody mentions toyo mts

GoldenSahara00 07-24-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaker jk (Post 3998173)

They are heavy. Not a bad though.

sinbob 07-24-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FXnut (Post 3997752)
You can't go wrong with BFG in my opinion, either the all terrain or KM2s, depending how aggressive you wanted to get. I've had BFGs on all my rigs other than the '04 Rubi which came with MTRs which I hated.. they wore out so quick I found. I also had an '85 Toyota 4runner on 35" BFGs and ran it to the cottage 3.5 hours from my house quite often, and never had any issues..

x2:thumb:

I have BFG A/T's got about 25k on them and I wheel hard. DD to work every day freeway and city 32miles round trip. But, with that said I am switching to BFG KM2's when I need new. Wheelin buddy of mine uses his as a DD on the coast, wine salesman, got 60K out of his last pair. They are also supposed to be killer off road.
I would stay away from pro comp tires. Another wheelin buddy only has 8k on his procomp MTR"S and they are falling apart.....not that but they also won't do anything about it and blame him for their tires falling apart.

5150Rubicon 07-24-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaker jk (Post 3998173)

Because 'toyo' makes people think of 'toyota'...which then makes them think of 'foreign'....which then makes them think of 'china'...which then makes them think of 'poison in their dog food'....which then makes them think about their pet dying...

Don't think about your pet dying. Buy Duratracs :rofl:

Rogerg 07-24-2013 01:30 PM

If your on a budget try out Falken Wild peaks. These tires rides good and quiet as can be. I got it on my TJ and after having it seems like I replaced the shocks also.

Pfiffmeister83 07-24-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150Rubicon (Post 3998262)

Because 'toyo' makes people think of 'toyota'...which then makes them think of 'foreign'....which then makes them think of 'china'...which then makes them think of 'poison in their dog food'....which then makes them think about their pet dying...

Lol. Well played sir.

Rogerg 07-24-2013 01:31 PM

Double post

Moose5 07-24-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

This post alone has convinced me to get duratracs :D

I was looking to get the duras in 275/70/18 or 295/70/18. Tirerack is selling the 275s with a rebate for right under 900 bucks. I suppose as long as you take of them right theyll last long (any dumbass can say they dont last if he doesnt rotate) and everyone seems to say the noise is minimal.

TrueBlueJK 07-24-2013 01:37 PM

I DD my 305/70/17 KM2's and I love them.

5150Rubicon 07-24-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose5 (Post 3998321)
This post alone has convinced me to get duratracs :D

I was looking to get the duras in 275/70/18 or 295/70/18. Tirerack is selling the 275s with a rebate for right under 900 bucks. I suppose as long as you take of them right theyll last long (any dumbass can say they dont last if he doesnt rotate) and everyone seems to say the noise is minimal.

On a more serious note...I have to say that, even though I haven't actually purchased my tires/wheels yet (Getting Duratrac 315's)...I have been asking Discount Tire (a vendor here) a million and one questions. I want to give them kudos...they always, always are polite, quick to answer and extremely helpful. Their prices are always the best I can find too. Just thought I'd put that out there...I wouldn't buy until you check with them first...I'm willing to bet they will hook you up!!!!

Bronson 07-24-2013 01:44 PM

I'm in the process of buying a jku and I'm wondering what size tires can I put under my rig without woring about axle problems after I put a lift on it?

5150Rubicon 07-24-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronson (Post 3998382)
I'm in the process of buying a jku and I'm wondering what size tires can I put under my rig without woring about axle problems after I put a lift on it?

By axle problems, I'm assuming you mean putting pressure on the axles because of the leverage of bigger tires? (as opposed to rubbing issues).

Truth is, in the right situation, you can snap an axle like its a tootpick with your stock tires...so its really hard to answer.

Most feedback is that at 35" and up, the reinforcements start with gussets, sleeves...and perhaps stronger axles themselves. If you are nice and gentle, you can run 40's on your stock axles...but I wouldn't recommend it, and what's the fun of being nice and gentle :D

Bronson 07-24-2013 02:23 PM

Ya just wanna try putting off buying dana 44's at least for a little while I want 40s but if my stock axles won't handle it then obvously I won't do it is their any good axle I can get that's under 5k? That can handle 40s and is cheeper than dana's

GoldenSahara00 07-24-2013 03:07 PM

You need to build something like a 60 front 14b rear, and yes you can do it for under 5k if you do a bit of the work yourself. crate axles would prob be a little more but I don't know those prices because, well I can't afford them :rofl:

CJ7nvrstk 07-24-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose5 (Post 3997702)
Sorry to keep barraging the forum with repeated questions, but i need advice on what tire to get.

I spend a lot of time driving on the highway, and ive been looking around for a 33 inch tire that would fare me well on the trail

People have recommended duratracs, and i understand they are a great tire. But im reAding a lot of mixed reviews saying they are loud and wear rather quickly. Also, apparently in hot weather, since it is a softer tire handling is reduced?

If anyone can shoot me some recommendations of a good offroad tire that has a good tread life and minimal noise, it would be appreciated. My offroad use isnt very frequent so i need a tire that will be somewhat reliable and comfortable on the highway. Thanks

Have a jeepin' buddy here in TX that likes his. Remember it gets hot here too and I know he has gotten plenty of miles out of em. They worked well in the rocks here too thought did put a rock they the sidewall of em

Bronson 07-24-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3998712)
You need to build something like a 60 front 14b rear, and yes you can do it for under 5k if you do a bit of the work yourself. crate axles would prob be a little more but I don't know those prices because, well I can't afford them :rofl:

I do a lot of work on my dads truck so I know how to do a lot of stuff. So how much would it cost to do that rough estimate

GoldenSahara00 07-24-2013 04:13 PM

I don't know depends where ya live. Lets say 800 for clean axles, 600-800 for brackets, regear is another 1K, refresh brakes and seals and fluids says 300ish. So 3 grand? I'm sure you will end up doing a few other things in there though. And I'm not sure if things need moved around for the 14b to fit the rear, and you need to look at steering and beefing up the driveline to run 40s as well, so remember that. I'd say 7 grand to do it all including tires and wheels on 40s.

DJL2 07-24-2013 04:20 PM

Bronson - your Jeep is going to come stock with a D44 rear - if you get the Rubicon, you'll have a D44 up front too. If not, you can do like some high speed magazine folks and swap that D44 up front and buy a new D44 or D60 rear. Less painful, but a Rubicon sourced D44 for the front and have it loaded up however you like. Dynatrac and others can hook you up with a new/built D44/D60 for less than 5k.

If it were me, and I was getting into the new axle game, I'd look hard at what these folks did for inspiration: 2012 Weekender Jeep Wrangler Part 1 - Four Wheeler Magazine

1Topp 07-24-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg (Post 3998309)
If your on a budget try out Falken Wild peaks. These tires rides good and quiet as can be. I got it on my TJ and after having it seems like I replaced the shocks also.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6110/6...8472760d4a.jpg

MudRunner 07-24-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

:rofl: I see what your saying, but Toyo M/T's are made in the USA :thumb: Are they heavy? Yes! Is it a fantastic tire? You bet, great tread life and killer traction in the mud and rocks.