Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   HOW TO: Warn Powerplant compressor? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-to-warn-powerplant-compressor-258020.html)

burton861 07-24-2013 10:41 AM

HOW TO: Warn Powerplant compressor?

I have a warn powerplant winch/compressor combo and I've used the compressor to fill tubes and little things like that, but yesterday after I had aired down for a trail I was not able to put air into my tires with the compressor.

Am I doing something wrong? The only thing I could think of was that I was using the wrong nozzle, but it is the one that came with the winch. Do I need a different one?

I would appreciate any help because its a pain to have to pay to fill up at a gas station when I have a compressor on the front of my car that advertises being able to fill up 4 tires in under 8 minutes.

Phaedrus 07-25-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burton861 (Post 3997716)
I have a warn powerplant winch/compressor combo and I've used the compressor to fill tubes and little things like that, but yesterday after I had aired down for a trail I was not able to put air into my tires with the compressor.

Am I doing something wrong? The only thing I could think of was that I was using the wrong nozzle, but it is the one that came with the winch. Do I need a different one?

I would appreciate any help because its a pain to have to pay to fill up at a gas station when I have a compressor on the front of my car that advertises being able to fill up 4 tires in under 8 minutes.

I'm not sure how to answer your question, but you are obviously doing something wrong, or your Warn Powerplant is malfunctioning. Mine quickly and reliably takes me from 15 psi to 30 psi on four tires in under ten minutes. I have done it many times. I have used several different chucks with it and some do work better than others, although they all are theoretically the same type. If the chuck is bad you will hear it leaking instead of filling the tire. You might describe what connections and chuck you are using.

burton861 07-27-2013 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The chuck I am using looks just like this picture where ever it is... I attach the hose to the compressor and the chuck to the hose using the quick coupling on each side (all of this is using warn equipment).

And I never heard any leaking from any point in the system. When I put the chuck on the tire it just doesn't make any sound at all, almost as if it doesn't have enough pressure to push air in. But the compressor does occasionally kick back in to fill up the tank- but not nearly enough.

For the record, I did inflate one tire like three psi and it took about two minutes to do that.

Off Pavement 07-27-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burton861 (Post 4008875)
The chuck I am using looks just like this picture where ever it is... I attach the hose to the compressor and the chuck to the hose using the quick coupling on each side (all of this is using warn equipment).

And I never heard any leaking from any point in the system. When I put the chuck on the tire it just doesn't make any sound at all, almost as if it doesn't have enough pressure to push air in. But the compressor does occasionally kick back in to fill up the tank- but not nearly enough.

For the record, I did inflate one tire like three psi and it took about two minutes to do that.

Perhaps your hose or the chuck is partially plugged. Could be a mfg defect

Phaedrus 07-27-2013 01:18 PM

I think you need to replace the chuck. The Warn PowerPlant is a tankless compressor, so it should be running all of the time when you are filling a tire. Otherwise the compressor will stop running when there is no demand and the built up pressure in the air line causes it to stall. I had to experiment with a couple of different chucks before I found one that worked satisfactorily.

JPi4.0 07-27-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus (Post 4009358)
I think you need to replace the chuck. The Warn PowerPlant is a tankless compressor, so it should be running all of the time when you are filling a tire. Otherwise the compressor will stop running when there is no demand and the built up pressure in the air line causes it to stall. I had to experiment with a couple of different chucks before I found one that worked satisfactorily.

It has a small built in tank. A gallon if I remember right. But everything else works the way you said.

JPi4.0 07-27-2013 01:38 PM

Next the chuck on the compressor is a relief valve with a ring on it. Pull the ring and let the air out. The compressor should turn on