Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Jeep Ground Effects (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jeep-ground-effects-258138.html)

Gregbr 07-24-2013 07:44 PM

Jeep Ground Effects

ok i know you're gonna say this is a dumb idea - why'd you bother buying a jeep then...?

i want my jeep to be as good off-road as it can possibly be - but i'm only doing that 10% of the time. the other 90% of the time i'm on the highway or city streets.

so maybe this would look really stupid but it seems that there just aren't any ground effects pieces that can easily be put on and taken off that would improve the aerodynamics of the jeep for day to day use?

is it because the difference in aerodynamics really wouldn't make that much of a difference and that other aspects like weight, tires, transmission etc really are more so the issue?

Pfiffmeister83 07-24-2013 07:54 PM

Probably not big enough of a market for a company to make a profitable business related to this sort of thing.

lolpetewtf 07-24-2013 08:07 PM

Never seen anything remotely like you're describing.

jkjeeper06 07-24-2013 08:17 PM

Aerodynamics would help a jeep but what you are thinking of wouldn't be significant enough to compensate for the flat windshield and flat grill

JK-linux 07-24-2013 08:17 PM

This is about as close as you will find... 1991 Jeep Renegade

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2483/3...9bb2ef99_z.jpg

Pfiffmeister83 07-24-2013 08:49 PM

Lol. That looks terrible.

Jeepin Bowhunter 07-24-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pfiffmeister83 (Post 3999843)
Lol. That looks terrible.

I once saw a renegade that was built and looked less bad. But let's face it,. You just can't make a brick aerodynamic.

Pfiffmeister83 07-24-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepin Bowhunter (Post 3999894)

I once saw a renegade that was built and looked less bad. But let's face it,. You just can't make a brick aerodynamic.

True. This stuff just doesn't look natural on a Jeep.

Lowerumble 07-24-2013 09:20 PM

I would try a large cone attached to the front and removable wing off the hardtop. Think Roadrunner Superbird...

Lynskey 07-24-2013 09:20 PM

Did I stumble onto the Civic rice-burner section? :D

Thegame 07-24-2013 09:24 PM

Lmao :rofl:

Y-Guy 07-24-2013 10:16 PM

I just don't know how I'd add ground effects to this to make it aerodynamic.

http://gblyden703.files.wordpress.co...nial_brick.jpg

bfschor 07-24-2013 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You could add some hydraulics to raise and lower as you want. Lowered = that's just wrong!

Attachment 277092

the Kolector 07-24-2013 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like this? :banghead:

Gregbr 07-24-2013 11:50 PM

I'm thinking of something like a quick detach air dam and something similar to the side skirts some semis have on the trailers. To limit and/or smooth the air flow under the vehicle.

I have no idea where you'd store this stuff once you got to the trailhead but I am curious about what effect if any this might have on mpg.

You're right about the ugly part - I don't see anything appealing about the jeeps pictured in this thread!

Lusus_Naturae 07-24-2013 11:59 PM

About the closest I have seen is the new air dam under the front bumper. I don't think it does much either since I never saw any difference after it was removed.

BacaraJKU 07-25-2013 01:28 AM

Some may use it for good, others for bad. I sure hope there are no companies that start making ground effects for a jk. Then you're gonna see 26's dropped to the ground. Please no. Haha.

lolpetewtf 07-25-2013 02:02 AM

Don't buy a Jeep. get a Juke.

legitposter 07-25-2013 08:20 PM

OP, you're out of luck. I was interested in a nice fancy bumper COVER, like is available on most enthusiast vehicles, but when it comes to the wrangler only REAL bumpers were available. Darn.

You're in the same boat.

Either don't get a wrangler or enjoy it for its own unique image, which doesn't require body changes.

HappyJKU 07-25-2013 08:32 PM

Just take off your top and doors and bumpers and back seat and carpet, and, just make it lighter...:hide:

Wyldeone 07-25-2013 08:40 PM

You could make your own aerodynamics. Sometimes small things will help in ways you did not think possible. I designed, built, and installed my own rear diffuser on a 06 mustang and gained 1.2MPG. There are lots of area on the jeep I plan to tackle a little later. The mirrors are big dumbo ears, so a set of smaller mirrors from one of the previous generations might help with that. But you are in the wrong forum for this topic. You need to check forums with people that understand the idea of aerodynamics. Not saying people in this forum are not smart enough, but enthusiasts of a particular type of vehicle (mustang owners tend to be the same way) don't usually want to bother trying things like this.

JK-linux 07-25-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyldeone (Post 4003676)
You could make your own aerodynamics. Sometimes small things will help in ways you did not think possible. I designed, built, and installed my own rear diffuser on a 06 mustang and gained 1.2MPG. There are lots of area on the jeep I plan to tackle a little later. The mirrors are big dumbo ears, so a set of smaller mirrors from one of the previous generations might help with that. But you are in the wrong forum for this topic. You need to check forums with people that understand the idea of aerodynamics. Not saying people in this forum are not smart enough, but enthusiasts of a particular type of vehicle (mustang owners tend to be the same way) don't usually want to bother trying things like this.

Sorta like you don't see too many requests for tips on 6" Mustang lifts or Camaro 9000 lbs winch bumper installations on hot rod forums? They aren't dumb, they just don't want to bother trying things like this? :rolleyes:

FXnut 07-25-2013 09:00 PM

The only aerodynamic Jeep I've seen, and that's mainly because it's missing the windshield!

AmphiGator Jeep WaterCar - YouTube

HillbillyJeeper 07-25-2013 09:08 PM

Uhhhhh... Not quite sure how to deal with this post. I'll be back when drunker with a trollin smart ass post.

Wyldeone 07-25-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK-linux (Post 4003711)
Sorta like you don't see too many requests for tips on 6" Mustang lifts or Camaro 9000 lbs winch bumper installations on hot rod forums? They aren't dumb, they just don't want to bother trying things like this? :rolleyes:

Except clearly with the posts about improving mileage and now aerodynamics, people are interested in this. :facepalm:

gsn 07-26-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyldeone (Post 4003896)
Except clearly with the posts about improving mileage and now aerodynamics, people are interested in this. :facepalm:

Rant mode on ~~~~~~~~~~

Get a cherokee then, or anything else from the jeep lineup.

Honestly, what do you want in a wrangler if you want aerodynamics? I think this question is not dumb, but something you have to make yourself and look at it objectively.

You would need to change the entire car for that to happen. First, they would not be able to bring it out with 32 inches and with the current coil length as they are coming now, it would have to be thrown down. Second, they would have to put a greater slope on the windshield. Third, they would have to change the entire design to make it less square, remove the flares, slope the grill and add a bunch of air dams and spoilery pieces. Fourth, they would have to go from a full solid front axle, to an independent front suspension, to make it more comfortable, that right there just killed the wrangler. You are basically literally describing a grand cherokee, or a cherokee, or an fj, or a land rover.

Honestly, why buy a wrangler if you want a grand cherokee? why try to f*ck up a nice offroad car, the only one left of its kind in the US.

I dont know why, for some reason, I feel my worst dream will come true in a future not too far, and chrysler will do a solid axle delete and put an IFS on the wrangler and make it a city wagon or convert into an FJ. I dont know why... just like manual wranglers are disappearing, with more non-offroaders getting the wrangler and wanting a luxury ride, they will end up pushing chrysler into killing the wrangler, and basically, a front axle will be a mod that will have to be done.

~~~~~~ Rant mode off

Bah bai, sorry if I make people cry a river.

P.S: the most mpg gaining mod that can be done is to put aluminum bumpers, dont carry any weight on the back or front like armor, winch or anything else, and dont carry a spare tire. Use 5w20 oil and drive slow. Nothing you do on the body of the wrangler aesthetically will be able to change its aerodynamics and fuel efficiency unless you start cutting and reshaping and convert it into a cherokee.

2five22 07-26-2013 01:10 AM

Buy an old Chevy IROC and convert it to 4wd. You'll have some aerodynamics and off road capability.

MRT2 07-26-2013 01:31 AM

Maybe not a body kit... But I do think if one had a hard top, a nice Minimal Lip spoiler would add to the asthetics. Just my 2.

Lusus_Naturae 07-26-2013 01:54 AM

@gsn - You have a very good point. Once you start looking at it in parts needed, you end up rebuilding it out of a Wrangler design. Each piece alone wouldn't do a lot, and combining them all would end in a Cherokee or Liberty, or Patriot - depending on what you put together.

In the opposite direction - I have seen people get really creative and build stuff like a 4x4 Camaro. It's just is pieces again - a truck base with a Camaro body. Lots of work to do it right though, as unibody vehicles are a pita to work with and frame vehicels don't always match well either. Most of the interior ends up custom to fit the powetrain as well. A friend built a nice Powertruck, a truck 4x4 base with a 50's rat rod body on top. He can put the front bumper on a tree and idle it in low and the paddle tires will dig a hole over time. The issue here, you have to build it all.

BRUT4CE 07-26-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 4000766)
don't buy a jeep. Get a juke.

x2