Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   "Seafoam" in the gas tank.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/seafoam-in-the-gas-tank-258187.html)

WideTire 07-25-2013 12:31 AM

"Seafoam" in the gas tank..

Does anybody use "Seafoam" fuel additive to clean the fuel system in the jeep ?
Is it okay to use it in the jeep fuel system ?

I use it in my car and my motorcycle and its great.

Thanks in advance.

jherrington 07-25-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WideTire (Post 4000674)

Thanks in advance.

I personally don't believe in using all of that mess. Gasoline refineries have gas chemicals down to their own blend. If these companies thought you needed some of the contents of seafoam in their gas, why isn't some in there?

Just use a high quality gasoline and you won't have to worry about build up and such.

eagle223 07-25-2013 02:54 AM

I've used it in my gas tank, the crankcase and in the engine itself. Gas tank is easy just pour it in, crankcase pour some in usually a 1/3 of a can, and then replace your oil in around 50 miles. To clean the engine, put some in a different container and suck it through a vacuum line making sure the jeep doesn't stall out, let it sit for about 15 min and then go drive it. It will be producing a lot of white smoke, that's normal, it's carbon buildup that the seafoam is cleaning. There are some good YouTube videos on how to do these as well.

western196611 07-25-2013 05:55 AM

My jeep had sat for 2 years.. Wend I acquired it.... seafoam was the first thing I added to the fuel system. And believe it or not, I had no issues with the fuel system at all!!

ChaddG 07-25-2013 08:52 AM

I add seafoam to my gas. especially after cleaning the throttle plate and finding 1/16" of black buildup on the bottom of it. I will be sucking it into the intake through a vacuum line soon.

BigDeaner 07-25-2013 08:54 AM

I seafoamed my jeep when I first got it. I put it in the gas tank and sucked some up through a vac line, let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then blew out all the carbon. It produced a hell of a lot of white smoke, but I can't really say if it improved how my engine ran. Some swear by it, some don't.

DFW6ER 07-25-2013 10:44 AM

I've used it in several vehicles and lawn mowers/weed eaters/blowers over the years. I think it helps, especially if you use bargain gas like from Sam's club or do tons of stop and go driving and rarely hit the highways. The propanol and naptha in it DO help remove gum/varnish and other deposits, naptha is also the main ingredient of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner.

Jerry Bransford 07-25-2013 10:50 AM

I personally wouldn't waste my $$$ adding Seafoam, the current fad, to my gas tank. Why? Because today's modern gasolines all have more than sufficient fuel system & fuel injector cleaning additives to keep the fuel system clean.

Talk to an honest full-time experienced automative mechanic and he'll confirm that he hasn't seen a dirty/clogged fuel injector in many years. I used to have a 15-20 new car & truck dealers as customers years ago & I ended up asking that question of pretty much every mechanic I came in contact with... & that's what they said. The newer mechanics had never seen a dirty fuel injector & the older mechanics said it had been years since they had seen one.

Yes, fuel injectors USED to get dirty when the gasoline manufacturers weren't adding enough cleaning additives but that hasn't been true in many years now, probably 20+ years at least.

If you have a lawn more or similar engine where the gasoline regularly turns to varnish from sitting too long, use a more suitable product like Gumout or Sta-bil to clean things up.... they were specifically designed for such problems and cost 1/3 as much as Seafoam.

BigCrave 07-25-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WideTire (Post 4000674)

Thanks in advance.

If you think it's great in your car and motorcycle, why would you be worried about using it on the jeep. Personally I'd just stick with good quality gas, but if you don't know about how the PO ran it, clean it up and stay with good gas.

blackbird486 07-25-2013 12:35 PM

I was a non believer until I got a batch of "BAD GASOLINE" as defined by my mechanic. 1 can of seafoam and a tank of good gas my TJ 2.5 runs a lot better. Even better than before the "Bad Gasoline".

WredTJ 07-25-2013 01:29 PM

For the most part I believe it depends on your local gas supply. High amount of ethanol supplemented, lots of extra refining, extra additives, extra detergents, yada yada, you may benefit.

I searched this weeks back and the common theme was folks who could source pure gas stated this was unnecessary and those who couldn't saw benefits.

Again, my opinion. But nobody had reported anything negative! So go for it! I will be soon.

BamaRolln 07-25-2013 02:28 PM

I thought all those products like seafoam were mainly for old gas. I've heard lots of people say to add that to things that sit around like a weed eater, lawn mower, pressure washer, etc. that sits around all winter. I guess a vehicle that sits around for a while could use it but I really don't think there is any need to use it on a regular basis.

yoopone 07-25-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 4001644)
I personally wouldn't waste my $$$ adding Seafoam, the current fad, to my gas tank. Why? Because today's modern gasolines all have more than sufficient fuel system & fuel injector cleaning additives to keep the fuel system clean.

Talk to an honest full-time experienced automative mechanic and he'll confirm that he hasn't seen a dirty/clogged fuel injector in many years. I used to have a 15-20 new car & truck dealers as customers years ago & I ended up asking that question of pretty much every mechanic I came in contact with... & that's what they said. The newer mechanics had never seen a dirty fuel injector & the older mechanics said it had been years since they had seen one.

Yes, fuel injectors USED to get dirty when the gasoline manufacturers weren't adding enough cleaning additives but that hasn't been true in many years now, probably 20+ years at least.

If you have a lawn more or similar engine where the gasoline regularly turns to varnish from sitting too long, use a more suitable product like Gumout or Sta-bil to clean things up.... they were specifically designed for such problems and cost 1/3 as much as Seafoam.

My 1976 Chevy K20 pickup with a 400 small block will absolutely argue with you on this one if it had a brain and a voice. i have owned the truck since 1986 and it got to the point where is idled very poorly and made a very bad missing sound at idle and mid RPM's. My mechanic took 3 cans of Sea Foam and sucked it in through the vacuum booster line for the power brakes. The engine spit out all kinds of holy crap and when he was done i had the smoothest running 100K miles 400 around. The valves were all carboned up and the Sea Foam burned it right off. That was 6 years ago and several thousand miles later the engine still idles like a new car. I was ready to do a valve job and 3 cans of Sea Foam solved the problem. Also it fixed my starting problem/ gummed up check valve on my 99 TJ. Had the problem where the Jeep would not start after sitting for a bit and two cans of Sea Foam in the gas tank sitting for a month cleaned it right up. Starts first crank every time for 3 years now. Our gas with ethanol creates some unique issues. I believe in Sea Foam for carburated cars and for sticky fuel pump check valves. My opinion.

jherrington 07-25-2013 10:51 PM

So, you agreed that the crappy gasoline causes your problems?

tbensor 07-25-2013 10:58 PM

Had a cylinder Misfire. Pulled plugs looked fine. Engine was running rough at idle. Thought maybe coil pack. 1 can of seafoam later in the tank and no issues since. That was 6 months ago. Never believed in the stuff, but what could it hurt right?

jherrington 07-25-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbensor (Post 4004191)
Had a cylinder Misfire. Pulled plugs looked fine. Engine was running rough at idle. Thought maybe coil pack. 1 can of seafoam later in the tank and no issues since. That was 6 months ago. Never believed in the stuff, but what could it hurt right?

a LOT actually..:whistling:

WredTJ 07-26-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jherrington (Post 4004299)
a LOT actually..:whistling:

Care to elaborate?

jherrington 07-26-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WredTJ (Post 4005173)

Care to elaborate?

Running seafoam through your engine can indeed loosen up sludge and carbon. Where does that carbon go? Well it could possibly go in small oil passages and keeps oil from getting places.

It can also cause cat failure and other sensor and spark plug fouling. Google it.

tbensor 07-26-2013 09:02 PM

it could but didn't

jherrington 07-27-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbensor (Post 4007573)
it could but didn't

You're the one that asked...

WaterDR 07-27-2013 01:10 PM

In general, seafoam won't hurt anything just not sure if it does anything either. There is no way to know for sure without tearing down the motor.

Btw, the white smoke is NOT a sign of crud being burned off so don't ever believe that. It's nothing but the product itself burning.

Jerry Bransford 07-27-2013 02:02 PM

To me, Seafoam is simply the current Magic Elixer fad.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...psd2d4b691.jpg

It does a so-so job on some things but it's not the miracle cure for everything some think it is. Not to mention it is VERY (too) expensive when compared to far less expensive specific purpose products that are more effective because they were designed to to be completely effective at one particular job. Kind of like choosing a general purpose country doctor for your brain surgery.

In my personal opinion, it is strictly a so-so product for few problems but it isn't the best choice for fixing the type problem that can be fixed by some kind of chemical.

There isn't/can't be just one product that is best for fixing everything as some seem to think Seafoam is. If my engine has a particular problem, I'll buy the product that is specifically made for that problem and it'll likely be half the cost of Seafoam.

WaterDR 07-27-2013 02:23 PM

Seafoam is neither expensive or a recent fad. It is cheap as hell. Usually 6 bucks a bottle on sale and been around forever...for decades.

Jerry Bransford 07-27-2013 03:57 PM

I didn't say it was a new product, I said it has become a recent fad. And if you can find it "on sale" for $6, more power to you because in my local Autozone it is $10.99 for a small bottle... which is NOT cheap.

In my personal opinion, it's not as good as other less costly products that are better suited for any single particular job instead of one product that does a so-so job at many jobs.

Using Sea Foam for everything is like using a bar of Zest soap for shampoo, washing dishes, the car, the dog etc.. Sure it may "work" for those jobs but Zest sure wouldn't be the best at any of those particular cleaning tasks. I'd rather use a less costly specific product meant to cure a specific problem rather than some miracle product that claims to do everything... but that's just me.

Nissantech 07-27-2013 05:46 PM

Cleared up a ruff idle on a 93 pathfinder witnessed it first as I was the injecting it but I do agree with the previous statement it won't fix all your issues that pathfinder had bad carbon on the valves and it cleaned it up fast ( I was injecting threw brake booster line) I think it's an ok product but it is alittle expensive because I've done the same thing with water lol

jsuggs 07-28-2013 01:13 PM

I have used Sea Foam for years, It works as good as any other quality cleaner. Where it really excels is that it can be used in diesel engines. What is important to remember is that the upper intake, throttle body, idle air control, etc. get dirty no mater what fuel you use or what you add to the fuel. Sea Foam or Barymans can be used threw a vacuum line to remove excessive carbon. This procedure has to be done properly or it can cause engine damage. There is more to it than just flooding the engine with it. There is a product that is more user friendly. It is made by the same company that makes Sea Foam it is a aerosol can called Deep Creep. I would recommend it to anyone. It is worth the money that you spend for it. Auto parts stores usually have it in stock.

Best of luck

Jeremy
ASE Master Auto Technician

dlm32067 07-28-2013 01:38 PM

I like Seafoam. I use Seafoam. However, I cannot confidently affirm it's actual effects.

"A placebo is a simulated or otherwise medically ineffectual treatment for a disease or other medical condition intended to deceive the recipient. Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition, a phenomenon commonly called the placebo effect."

jherrington 07-28-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsuggs (Post 4012303)
I have used Sea Foam for years, It works as good as any other quality cleaner. Where it really excels is that it can be used in diesel engines. What is important to remember is that the upper intake, throttle body, idle air control, etc. get dirty no mater what fuel you use or what you add to the fuel. Sea Foam or Barymans can be used threw a vacuum line to remove excessive carbon. This procedure has to be done properly or it can cause engine damage. There is more to it than just flooding the engine with it. There is a product that is more user friendly. It is made by the same company that makes Sea Foam it is a aerosol can called Deep Creep. I would recommend it to anyone. It is worth the money that you spend for it. Auto parts stores usually have it in stock.

Best of luck

Jeremy
ASE Master Auto Technician

Thought diesels NEEDED ash in the combustion chambers?

jsuggs 07-28-2013 02:04 PM

Cleaners remove excessive build up. They do not have the strength or dwell time to remove the carbon stuck directly to aluminum which helps keep it from oxidizing. Most diesels being direct injection need a fuel cleaner to help keep the injectors clean around every 20K or so. Usually every time that the fuel filter is changed. Sea Foam will ignite in a diesel. It is a fairly common practice it fill the new filter with it.

jherrington 07-28-2013 07:43 PM

And that extinguished all of the "it takes the built up carbon out of my engine" talk.