Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Adding a Hardtop (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/adding-a-hardtop-258469.html)

mikemass 07-26-2013 09:48 AM

Adding a Hardtop

I bought my new Jeep Unlimited with a soft top only. If I find a hardtop on Craigslist, eBay, will it be plug and play?

I am aware about bolting on the sides, and the bolts on the roll bar. But wondering about rear winshield wiper & defroster. Any chance somewhere in the "guts" of my jeep there will be a place to plug these in? I guess the other issue would be, even if there is a plug & play, how would I activate the defrost and wiper blade?

thomm99 07-26-2013 10:18 AM

I have seen kits with the parts you will need. wiper stalk, wiring harness, dash defrost button, fluid hose, connectors. It takes a dealer visit to update the computer as well.

Something like this, but may vary by year: MOPAR 82210215AG - MOPAR® Hardtop Wiring Kit for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with OE MOPAR® Hardtop & AC - Quadratec

Michel347 07-26-2013 10:43 AM

Yes, you need the wiring kit from the dealer, around 250$ here with installation.

mikemass 07-26-2013 10:47 AM

Thanks. Seems pretty entailed. I guess I should have went with the duel top for the $940 option that it was. I don't understand how on the sticker price $940 is the duel top feature. But if you want to get just a hard top after the fact it is thousands...

mcgee10 07-26-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemass (Post 4005623)
Thanks. Seems pretty entailed. I guess I should have went with the duel top for the $940 option that it was. I don't understand how on the sticker price $940 is the duel top feature. But if you want to get just a hard top after the fact it is thousands...

My buddy bought a hard top off craigs list and never hook up the rear wiper or washer( no wiring harness) he did'nt have to do anything took him 10 minutes.
Myself I can't figure out why everyone would not have a hard top. Warm and noise free in winter and it comes off for the summer.

mikemass 07-26-2013 01:05 PM

Yup. I really can do without the luxury of the rear wiper or defroster. I just still can't get over the cost of these. 1500-1800 used? What are they new?

What a mistake I made not getting the dual top group. it was a $940 option and I would have had the both hard top and the Premium soft top. Now I just have the regular soft top. I feel cheated.

JKUTBFE13 07-26-2013 01:38 PM

Not sure where you saw a listing to add dual tops for only $940. The Jeep.com build price shows that the dual top option adds $2185 to the cost of an Unlimited, but the cost for only a hard top is $995. Maybe that will ease you mind some regarding your missed opportunity to buy the dual top right off the bat.

mikemass 07-26-2013 01:47 PM

ah-ha... You are right. i just went to the jeep web site to build one. I must have been thinking of just the hard top. That makes me feel better. But okay. Now i have to ask: "Why won't a jeep dealer sell me one new for $995?" Is there any after market ones worth looking at or is used my best bet?

jwilson2598 07-26-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemass (Post 4006229)
ah-ha... You are right. i just went to the jeep web site to build one. I must have been thinking of just the hard top. That makes me feel better. But okay. Now i have to ask: "Why won't a jeep dealer sell me one new for $995?" Is there any after market ones worth looking at or is used my best bet?

The reason the option is cheaper when buying new is because they are giving you a credit for the soft top and giving you the hard top only. When you order the dual top option, you are essentially upgrading to the premium top and buying a hardtop outright:

$0 - standard soft top in price
$400 - difference in price to replace your standard top with the premium one
$995 - difference in price to remove soft top and replace with hard top
$2195 - difference in price to replace standard top with premium top and add a hard top.

Metonymy 07-27-2013 01:57 AM

Yup. I went hard top only. I've always seen soft tops being sold later on by people who get lazy. I've passed up a few and each of them was cheaper than if I had gone with the dual-top group. I'll buy one eventually. :)