Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Seeking Experienced Jeepers HELP!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/seeking-experienced-jeepers-help-25847.html)

Sgt.Pepper22 01-25-2009 05:49 PM

Seeking Experienced Jeepers HELP!!!

Hey all,

I've got a 2002 wrangler that just started acting up. For starters, it won't turn on. When I turn the key, all I get is a grinding sound with no start up. Then, a light comes on saying "check gauges". all the guages read at 0 also.

Any advice????

ccain 01-25-2009 05:52 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I moved this to the "TJ Forum" so it would get a broader audience!

Sgt.Pepper22 01-25-2009 05:57 PM

Thanks man, I appreciate it :punk:

ExDementia 01-25-2009 06:24 PM

sounds like the gear in the starter isn't shooting forward all the way. same thing happened to my buddies jeep.

ExDementia 01-25-2009 06:25 PM

Take it out (only a couple bolts) and take it to auto zone, they have a machine that can test it there.

Joe Dirt 01-25-2009 06:37 PM

Check the battery first and see if it has 12 volts in it.

Sgt.Pepper22 01-25-2009 06:44 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help on this :wavey:. My buddies on his way over and we're gonna try jumpin it first. Then I can atleast go to autozone to get some tests done.

Jerry Bransford 01-25-2009 06:52 PM

Remove the battery connections, clean them, then mount them back onto the battery securely. If it doesn't start then, try a jump start. If it starts with a jump start, that's good, but since the battery is dead, the engine won't continue to run for very long once you remove the jump-start battery. If that's the case, have the battery load-tested at your local battery store to confirm if it's truly bad or just needs a good overnight charge. :)

Sgt.Pepper22 01-25-2009 07:22 PM

Thanks Jerry. I'll give that a shot to make sure it's not a faulty connection. And I;m gonna be in your neck of the woods this weekend. Birthday party in Hidden Meadows :punk:

speepdaedeesi 01-25-2009 07:45 PM

do the ''key dance''

put the key in.

turn it on- but dont start it. turn it to the last position before it will start.

turn it back off.

do this three times total, within 5 seconds.

on the third time.. stop with it in the on position.. not started of course.

the dash will light up, when the dash lights go out, keep an eye on the odometer. it will show you some codes.

write them down.

post them here

q8jeeper 01-25-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speepdaedeesi (Post 314008)
do the ''key dance''

put the key in.

turn it on- but dont start it. turn it to the last position before it will start.

turn it back off.

do this three times total, within 5 seconds.

on the third time.. stop with it in the on position.. not started of course.

the dash will light up, when the dash lights go out, keep an eye on the odometer. it will show you some codes.

write them down.

post them here

oooh cooool !!! never knew that before !!! :cool:

Sgt.Pepper22 01-25-2009 09:28 PM

Ok, so I just tried the "key dance", and didn't get any code. The word "done" popped up....and then the engine light blinked. Also, and tried to jump it an it still wouldn't start. Any more suggestions????

jdhallissey 01-25-2009 09:39 PM

starter pull it and buy new one. Then your jeep will start.

jpdocdave 01-25-2009 10:01 PM

ya, sounds like starter, don't rely on autozone to test it either. they tell way too many people the starter is fine, then they put it back in, and beat their head for a little while longer before replacing the dumb thing.

ExDementia 01-25-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 314101)
ya, sounds like starter, don't rely on autozone to test it either. they tell way too many people the starter is fine, then they put it back in, and beat their head for a little while longer before replacing the dumb thing.

Thats i always look when they do it too. Test the lines going to the starter before you take it out. Another way to tell is to bypass the starter and bump start it. if that works you know its the starter.