Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Am I missing a part? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/am-i-missing-a-part-258695.html)

Fa310tx 07-27-2013 02:39 PM

Am I missing a part?

3 Attachment(s)
I was reading a little about sway bar disconnects and it almost looks like I'm missing that disconnectable bar.
I'm referring to the little bit sticking up that doesn't have anything attached to it.
Grant that I know next to nothing about this stuff (bought the Jeep this way about a month ago).
And, since I know so little, if something looks out of place, please let me know.
JJ

jokerchief462 07-27-2013 02:43 PM

Yes they are missing time to get some new ones.

Franciscoapg 07-27-2013 02:45 PM

Yes, you are missing the part. Check your sway bar to see if they are attached to that. If not, pick some up. JKS makes some nice ones.

Fa310tx 07-27-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franciscoapg (Post 4009569)
Yes, you are missing the part. Check your sway bar to see if they are attached to that. If not, pick some up. JKS makes some nice ones.

Hehehe...
I haven't figured out which part my sway bar is.
Is it in the picture?
JJ

Fa310tx 07-27-2013 03:23 PM

Would that be a good reason why my Wrangler leans so much around corners?
I have full-time lockers on the rear and I pulling out of a parking lot is a constant gas/clutch/gas affair (lean/level/lean).
JJ

Rubicondon53 07-27-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fa310tx (Post 4009672)
Would that be a good reason why my Wrangler leans so much around corners?
I have full-time lockers on the rear and I pulling out of a parking lot is a constant gas/clutch/gas affair (lean/level/lean).
JJ

Wow,, sell it ASAP... Full time locker in the rear, no sway bar linkage, maybe no sway bar.. Since you admittedly know very little of jeeps, you need to either have a very, very, short, tight, learning curve, or you'll be spending multiple thousands to get that thing right,,, full time locker in the rear, and no sway bar links,( and I'm willing to bet the rears are disconnected ) , isn't far from a death sentence..

T2000J 07-27-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fa310tx (Post 4009666)
Hehehe...
I haven't figured out which part my sway bar is.
Is it in the picture?
JJ

No your pics are to low can not see it . It runs under the plastic where it says JEEP between the bumper and the grill . Comes out each side and turns towards the rear of the jeep about a foot

Fa310tx 07-27-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 4009696)
Wow,, sell it ASAP... Full time locker in the rear, no sway bar linkage, maybe no sway bar.. Since you admittedly know very little of jeeps, you need to either have a very, very, short, tight, learning curve, or you'll be spending multiple thousands to get that thing right,,, full time locker in the rear, and no sway bar links,( and I'm willing to bet the rears are disconnected ) , isn't far from a death sentence..

Well, That seems a bit reactionary...
I have been enjoying it (fair mixture of off and on-road), I just have to drive it gingerly.
I've had it out on the highway, multiple times, without any issue (granted, I'm not going to get any speeding tickets).
I drive it, about every day, to work.
Now, it's possible that I'll trade it for something a little more sensible (it has 36" mud tires and a 6" lift), but I'm in no way afraid of it.
I don't know much about Jeeps (or off-roading, in general), but I am learning.
JJ

Fa310tx 07-27-2013 04:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by T2000J (Post 4009713)
No your pics are to low can not see it . It runs under the plastic where it says JEEP between the bumper and the grill . Comes out each side and turns towards the rear of the jeep about a foot

I'm guessing that the sway bar isn't there.
Where would I find the rear sway bar (I think it's safe to say that probably isn't there, either).
JJ

PHILDABEAST 07-27-2013 04:26 PM

Yep its gone.
The rear runs across the front side of the rear axle and should have links going up to the frame.

Fa310tx 07-27-2013 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILDABEAST (Post 4009848)
The rear runs across the front side of the rear axle and should have links going up to the frame.

I'm guessing that's another no-go.
Are those bolt-holes where it would be attached to?
JJ

Hardermods 07-27-2013 05:00 PM

Yeah those are bolt holes where the swaybar mounts an bushings would be

Fa310tx 07-27-2013 05:32 PM

Is there much of a difference between the Currie, Teraflex, and Skyjacker sway bar kits?
They look like they do pretty much the same thing, to me (and install similarly).
If I could find a used factory bar, I might go that way, but $200 for the bar and $100 for links, makes the kits seem pretty logical.
Are the aluminum ones better?
I figure aluminum would be more prone to bend.
JJ

Rubicondon53 07-27-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fa310tx (Post 4009758)
Well, That seems a bit reactionary...
I have been enjoying it (fair mixture of off and on-road), I just have to drive it gingerly.
I've had it out on the highway, multiple times, without any issue (granted, I'm not going to get any speeding tickets).
I drive it, about every day, to work.
Now, it's possible that I'll trade it for something a little more sensible (it has 36" mud tires and a 6" lift), but I'm in no way afraid of it.
I don't know much about Jeeps (or off-roading, in general), but I am learning.
JJ

Not reactionary at all, just getting your attention.. The possibility of a roll over is extraordinarily high, especially with the combo of permanent locked rear and no sway bars connected. just bind it up once, around a corner, and you'll go over.... The very first time you take that locked rear out on wet pavement, you will not be able to keep it on the road... Not opinion, just physics... ;)

Fa310tx 07-27-2013 05:47 PM

If anyone has upgraded their sway bars and wants to sell their stocks, I might be interested in buying.
Hehehe...
JJ