Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Why do people obscure license plates in photos? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/why-do-people-obscure-license-plates-in-photos-259205.html)

jadmt 07-29-2013 06:04 PM

Why do people obscure license plates in photos?
 
I am curious why people obscure their plates in photos? Just for the record I don't obscure mine and not knocking those who do just curious why.

Willybusmc 07-29-2013 06:11 PM

I'd have to say its because with your plates you can see who the car is registered to, including name and address.

County98 07-29-2013 06:14 PM

I've always wondered as well. I'm all about guarding my info, but a figure 1000 people see it every time I leave the garage.

jdambm 07-29-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willybusmc (Post 4016839)
I'd have to say its because with your plates you can see who the car is registered to, including name and address.

How is that info available? It is no different than parked in a parking lot or on the street?

Ruby Tuesday 07-29-2013 06:22 PM

some people are just paranoid

donmeca2020 07-29-2013 06:25 PM

because if someone has a pretty decked out vehicle and they decide to take some nice photoshoots of it. I'm pretty certain their just concealing their plate number so no one with access to the D.A.V.I.D system or whatever its called in other states can find out where this vehicle is located at.

djonkman 07-29-2013 06:28 PM

The NSA may be on here SHHHHHHH!

dawhitesJKU 07-29-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday (Post 4016867)
some people are just paranoid

x2.

jmb6420 07-29-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday (Post 4016867)
some people are just paranoid

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean you are wrong! :D

DIXIEDOG 07-29-2013 06:37 PM

Why does it matter? If they don't want to show their plate what's the big deal....paranoid and smart are separated by a very thin line.

JeeperJake 07-29-2013 06:44 PM

same question arises on firearm forums.....some do, some don't reveal the ID numbers

peanut09 07-29-2013 06:48 PM

I figure its because they might piss someone off online and then they can be looked up! :popcorn:
I can't think of a good reason other then that since like many have already stated you drive it around the info is out there.

nick50471 07-29-2013 06:52 PM

I think it's sexy...Kinda like back when I was a kid and the news would put black censored stripes over boobs.

2five22 07-29-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday (Post 4016867)
some people are just paranoid


This is the winning answer. Unless someone drives around without their license plate legally displayed as required, people are going to see it.

What's the larger danger? An auto thief who lives 1,000 + miles away or the local thieving scumbag who sees your blinged out Jeep in the local parking lot and who always carries his burglary tools with him?

Ageless Stranger 07-29-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday (Post 4016867)
some people are just paranoid

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb6420 (Post 4016915)
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you... :D

FIFY.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 4016961)
I think it's sexy...Kinda like back when I was a kid and the news would put black censored stripes over boobs.

Mmmmm. Boobs. :drool:

JK-linux 07-29-2013 06:59 PM

Good question. I obscure mine, but I don't know of a free way to get info on someone via their plates. I'm sure it is possible though.

nick50471 07-29-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK-linux (Post 4016989)
Good question. I obscure mine, but I don't know of a free way to get info on someone via their plates. I'm sure it is possible though.

You shouldn't be to worried driving a JK. Who would want to steal a JK. :D





:popcorn:

bc3_Jeep 07-29-2013 07:03 PM

I actually DARED a guy on here who was harping about privacy issues to FIND ME......even offered to pay his gas...... no takers so far....... offer still out there.....

Might even buy you a beer..... the plate is right over there <<<<<<<<<

nick50471 07-29-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep (Post 4017003)
I actually DARED a guy on here who was harping about privacy issues to FIND ME......even offered to pay his gas...... no takers so far....... offer still out there.....

Might even buy you a beer..... the plate is right over there <<<<<<<<<

Something fishy...Illinois plate but location says NE Iowa. If my geography from elementary school serves me isn't there a big river separating those two states?

Dempsey 07-29-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 4016961)
I think it's sexy...Kinda like back when I was a kid and the news would put black censored stripes over boobs.

Now that's a good topic. Watched Loopers last night. It had some in it but wasn't very impressive.

Only thing that is better is if we add bacon. Man I love bacon. Had me a BLT for supper. BLT's are awesome. :punk:

PissAnt 07-29-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep (Post 4017003)
I actually DARED a guy on here who was harping about privacy issues to FIND ME......even offered to pay his gas...... no takers so far....... offer still out there.....

Might even buy you a beer..... the plate is right over there <<<<<<<<<

A car dealership with access to the motor vehicle division could trace your plate. However, not the average Joe.

bc3_Jeep 07-29-2013 07:43 PM

A guy can have houses in MANY states..... and title his vehicles in ANY state he lives in AND park his vehicles where ever he chooses...... offer still stands....

Barrie 07-29-2013 07:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger (Post 4016982)
FIFY.



Mmmmm. Boobs. :drool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dempsey (Post 4017015)
Now that's a good topic. Watched Loopers last night. It had some in it but wasn't very impressive.

Only thing that is better is if we add bacon. Man I love bacon. Had me a BLT for supper. BLT's are awesome. :punk:

Damn!!! Boobs and bacon in the same thread!!!!!!!! I've died and gone to heaven. Attachment 279245 Attachment 279246

lysol 07-29-2013 07:50 PM

Honestly, the way this world is heading in this digital age, it might be a smart thing to just hide yourself the best you can. Honestly, you don't know what the internet is going to be like down the road. I have had pictures of my motorcycle snatched and posted on a lot of other people's Instagram accounts. That is only the start of it.

I feel it is a tough job to remain as much anonymous as I can, but it calms the nerves. There is too many people in this world as it is and a little work can go a long way to keep from being taken advantage of. Now the odds of someone doing something now is slim, but who knows in the future.

jadmt 07-29-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lysol (Post 4017199)
Honestly, the way this world is heading in this digital age, it might be a smart thing to just hide yourself the best you can. Honestly, you don't know what the internet is going to be like down the road. I have had pictures of my motorcycle snatched and posted on a lot of other people's Instagram accounts. That is only the start of it.

I feel it is a tough job to remain as much anonymous as I can, but it calms the nerves. There is too many people in this world as it is and a little work can go a long way to keep from being taken advantage of. Now the odds of someone doing something now is slim, but who knows in the future.

cleaning my Glock and my old 44 mag calms by nerves lol.

hipshot33 07-29-2013 08:03 PM

"Don't worry nobody looks at this stuff." - Anthony Weiner

chucky cheese 07-29-2013 08:15 PM

Back around 2006 there was a guy on here who could tell what type of computer you were on, your location ect. It was kind of creepy. And we are talking 7 years ago. How he did it? I don't know. Boobs and bacon rule.

Matthew_JK 07-29-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep (Post 4017003)
I actually DARED a guy on here who was harping about privacy issues to FIND ME......even offered to pay his gas...... no takers so far....... offer still out there.....

Might even buy you a beer..... the plate is right over there <<<<<<<<<

I just googled "license plate lookup" and got 1 hit for your plate. I didn't feel like paying the fee for the info. Because, I'm not a stalker. Nevertheless, doubt exists in my 2nd grade educated mind that, looking up plate info is possible.

P

O_M_Jeep 07-29-2013 08:20 PM

Everytime I see an ebay ad or forum pic with a plate covered up I wonder if they also cover them up when driving. Privacy is fine, but I would not want to live in that much constant fear.

ramu3527 07-29-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 4016961)
I think it's sexy...Kinda like back when I was a kid and the news would put black censored stripes over boobs.

LMAO...AHHH you funny


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.