Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Unit Bearing / hub conversion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/unit-bearing-hub-conversion-259291.html)

Rubicondon53 07-30-2013 07:25 AM

Unit Bearing / hub conversion
 
Back in 04 when I bought my jeep, I remember thinking, and still do, that about the only thing Chrysler did wrong, was not offering the option of Warn manual locking hubs. Before I bought it, I did a bit of research and found that Warn offered a conversion kit. Cool, when the unit bearings go, I'll convert... Now, Warn quit offering the kit.:( My question is two fold... How long will those unit bearings last? Does the Mile Marker kit still have the top notch quality that they possessed 30 years ago? Looking forward to all opinions.. Thanks..

UnlimitedLJ04 07-30-2013 07:42 AM

I don't get why you'd want manual hubs. The unit bearings are a whole lot easier to deal with.

I've worked on a friend's truck with manual hubs, and I much prefer my unit bearings.

Jerry Bransford 07-30-2013 08:38 AM

Randy's Ring & Pinion bought the Warn hub line several years ago, they sell them. Randy's Ring & Pinion

So far as manual hubs go, I've had them on two TJs & they do offer some nice/significant benefits over unit bearing hubs. They aren't as easy to work on, granted, but they are still a worthwhile upgrade for some.

Rubicondon53 07-30-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 4018847)
I don't get why you'd want manual hubs. The unit bearings are a whole lot easier to deal with.

I've worked on a friend's truck with manual hubs, and I much prefer my unit bearings.

Once, with my 99 2.5. We blew a ujoint on the way home from Quebec. Granted, it was under warranty, but we wasted a full day and a half being towed to dealership and waiting in a hotel, only 200 miles from home... 4 years ago, with the 04 still under warranty, front driveshaft failed, and there I was, in a very precarious section, with rocks jabbing and contorting my body, removing said shaft and strapping it to my racks.. And yah know what? These type of breakdowns will happen again. A simple turn of two dials and problem solved, until home, a shop, or back to camp... Total cost to rebuild a set of warns? About $120, give or take... I'm also a bit on the old school side of things ..

Rubicondon53 07-30-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 4018956)
Randy's Ring & Pinion bought the Warn hub line several years ago, they sell them. Randy's Ring & Pinion

So far as manual hubs go, I've had them on two TJs & they do offer some nice/significant benefits over unit bearing hubs. They aren't as easy to work on, granted, but they are still a worthwhile upgrade for some.

Thanks,, ill bookmark Randy's

Jerry Bransford 07-30-2013 11:04 AM

One non-existent benefit I should mention not to expect with manual hubs is better fuel economy. Won't happen. :)

Rubicondon53 07-30-2013 11:29 AM

Oh yeah,,, maybe 100 years ago there was an MPG benefit,, but not a good reason with today's drivelines... I am humored by the claims of the big box retailers that there is any benefit.. Some one should hold their feet to the fire for making false statements...

Black Magic Brakes 07-30-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 4019211)
Once, with my 99 2.5. We blew a ujoint on the way home from Quebec. Granted, it was under warranty, but we wasted a full day and a half being towed to dealership and waiting in a hotel, only 200 miles from home... 4 years ago, with the 04 still under warranty, front driveshaft failed, and there I was, in a very precarious section, with rocks jabbing and contorting my body, removing said shaft and strapping it to my racks.. And yah know what? These type of breakdowns will happen again. A simple turn of two dials and problem solved, until home, a shop, or back to camp... Total cost to rebuild a set of warns? About $120, give or take... I'm also a bit on the old school side of things ..

Trust me on this, I am a huge fan of hub conversions, Warn in particular, but your problems could have easily been solved with very little fuss neither of which require the expense and maintenance of a hub conversion.

Rubicondon53 07-30-2013 02:56 PM

Had the 2.5 been out of warranty I would have simply removed the offensive axle. Removing the driveshaft seemed to be the best option.. You guys are far more experienced than I , so I'm all ears when it comes to more reasons to be a fan of the warn lock outs.. ( nice to have full float axles ? )). Thanks

UnlimitedLJ04 07-30-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 4019934)
...your problems could have easily been solved with very little fuss neither of which require the expense and maintenance of a hub conversion.

exactly.

I have a spare set of shafts for potential breakages. Inner + outer shafts w/ good u-joint and unit bearing all assembled. If I break a u-joint, I can swap the whole shaft assembly in on the trail with just 3 bolts. I carry a 12-pt 13mm and a torque wrench in my tool bag.

Rubicondon53 07-30-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 4020920)
exactly.

I have a spare set of shafts for potential breakages. Inner + outer shafts w/ good u-joint and unit bearing all assembled. If I break a u-joint, I can swap the whole shaft assembly in on the trail with just 3 bolts. I carry a 12-pt 13mm and a torque wrench in my tool bag.

Well then ,, I've got all the tools and spare ujoints, just no spare axles or unit bearings... Still knawing on this, I'll most likely make up my mind when the units finally give out .....

joedert 11-01-2013 09:31 PM

Will the Warn kit from Randy's fit on my 04 rubicon D44 axle? All the kits I find say they are for the D30. From what I've been told the the diff. Is the only difference in the two axles.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.