Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

soa lift and 6 in lift springs?

18K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Ibuildembig 
#1 ·
I want to lift my jeep. I use it for mud and want more clearance... a lot more. I want to have a 6in rough country spring lift installed. but on top of that I also want to spring over axle the jeep this should give me like 10-12 inches of suspension lift (avg 5.5in from soa + 6 in lift springs= 11.5in).

has anyone done this and what are some problems in doing this?

obviously the jeep would be top heavy.
the 31's would look puny
gas millage would be destroyed
have to have a sye

I know a lot of people will say that's too high but I don't like body lifts and already made a rope ladder jk

coming in to some money and have a friendly competition with my buddys chevy truck, must win!

but seriously I drive the jeep about 3 miles each way to work everyday and maybe to town and back never more than 12 miles one way, NEVER HIGHWAY AND NEVER OVER 55-60mph

See less See more
#4 ·
Steering is doable. Driveline angle is another story

#5 ·
You're gonna need full width axles (high steer on the front one), at least Cherokee springs for a stretch in the back (which means relocating gas tank and doing a comp cut), an SYE, Trac bar, and tires bigger than 31s to put more weight down low.

#6 ·
And I thought I had a big lift with 5.5". :eek:

#10 ·
So then you are not even using a CV shaft? I know with CV shafts you get that angle reduced, but the CV joint is the same size whether you have a 1310 or 1350 shaft. I was told even the 1410 CV joint is the same size. I ask about that since it has been the point of failure for me in the past.

#12 ·
Yeah, after talking to you on the phone a while back, once this CV shaft I have craps out I will be going with a non CV 1350.

#16 ·
And here I thought stock springs with soa was too tall...

#20 ·
For what its worth, this is my old 94 I had in high school. Spring over, with 2.5" lift springs and 38.5x16 TSLs. With some tube fenders you could stuff even more tire under it I'm sure. With 12" wide wheels it was very stable. Just drive like you have some sense. :punk:

#22 ·
I am SOA +1.5". I would not go more then maybe an inch bigger at most without going wider. I get used to driving my Jeep and not going very fast, but then I drive my car and notice a big difference. When I get back in my Jeep I feel like I will roll if I take a turn just a little too fast. Also hitting certain hills in the woods I know I WILL roll if I push it too far without going wider.

#23 ·
its just a friendly competition at work. he has the tallest truck there and I want to break his record plus I ve always wanted a super tall jeep. I just like being up high feels like you own the road ya know. he keeps going taller with his truck I go taller with my jeep but hes got me beat and probably always will its nearly impossible to make a jeep as tall as you can make a truck( and still drive it). its just one of those, "hey whats goin on down there" kinda things.

#24 ·
seriously tho I have some questions if (when) I go that high how do you fit the rear drive shaft? my first thought was to get a sye and drop my skid plate say 2in but then I see on here the guy whose done it say no? but then how?

also if I buy a 6in leaf kit it comes with a 6in drop pitman arm and longer sway bars... I can extend the sway bars with tubing but what about steering what are the options or will 6in drop be enough?(I doubt it)

12inches of lift is a lot but I want it its more about ride height than clearance for tires... tired of framing out in mud pits ( I realize bigger tires are needed)

-theres no such thing as too big or too high when it comes to a jeep, just got to compensate with bigger seat belts lol-

#25 ·
Why so high? If you want a mud vehicle, go with something with a long wheel base, not a jeep. Unless you are putting rockwells, stretching the wheel base quite a bit and everything that goes with that along with comp cutting the fenders, its pretty much pointless. Too high of a center of gravity for anything offroad related.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.