Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Anyone have a radio stolen from their Jeep? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/anyone-have-a-radio-stolen-from-their-jeep-259563.html)

KC_Hawker 07-31-2013 10:33 AM

Anyone have a radio stolen from their Jeep?

I am planning on upgrading my head unit and have been going back and forth between OEM and aftermarket. I don't have Uconnect, so aftermarket makes more sense, but everyone seems so afraid it will be stolen.

I can understand the logic, but how many people has this actually happened to?

I do have a soft top and half doors, so its even easier to break into than a "regular" soft top...

lolpetewtf 07-31-2013 10:48 AM

Gone are the days of using a coat hanger to pull a stereo out. If someone wanted your stereo they would have to know Wranglers to some extent. In my '12, you have to take off a panel, pull the electric window switches and know where the 14mm screws are, then pull the dash out.

I doubt your average jerk looking to pull radios from any car they can find will know this.

That being said, I can take out a 2012+ stereo in less than 5 minutes, since I have done it probably 20 times. I have a Clarion stereo and park it outside doorless all summer and never have a problem. You'll be fine is what I am willing to bet.

Neral22 07-31-2013 10:52 AM

I got this and love it. Secure and adds a place for coins and sunglasses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DZ...AC_SX110_SY190

KC_Hawker 07-31-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neral22 (Post 4023753)

I have seen that and thought about it, but to me, it kinda makes the Jeep look Ghetto - like going into an area where all the houses have bars on the windows and doors. I have locking underseat boxes, but they are at least hidden.

I know anything can be stolen ( I had some kids break into my Jeep and take things that were not locked down) but just trying to see if its a rational fear.

I guess in the end, I have good insurance. If I upgrade and it gets stolen - I can get the radio lock on the replacement - and maybe I will get a better radio :rolleyes:

woansleftpeg 07-31-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 4023732)
Gone are the days of using a coat hanger to pull a stereo out. If someone wanted your stereo they would have to know Wranglers to some extent. In my '12, you have to take off a panel, pull the electric window switches and know where the 14mm screws are, then pull the dash out.

I doubt your average jerk looking to pull radios from any car they can find will know this.

That being said, I can take out a 2012+ stereo in less than 5 minutes, since I have done it probably 20 times. I have a Clarion stereo and park it outside doorless all summer and never have a problem. You'll be fine is what I am willing to bet.

That's true, but you have to bear in mind that a thief wanting to remove a stereo doesn't really care what else he damages and with a large screwdriver, a thin wrecking bar and a disregard for anything else being damaged, you could get a stereo out of a Wrangler dashboard in pretty short order.

I've got a double DIN JVC unit with a removable faceplate. It's OK, and vastly superior to the factory units. Pioneer do some double DIN HUs with removable faceplates as well, they're probably superior quality stereos to the JVC but you'll pay more for them as well. That's about the best security you'll get for a head unit, as long as you remember to remove the faceplate each time.

I haven't used these before, but if I didn't have a removable faceplate I would. It's a good idea.

st1264 07-31-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 4023732)

Not sure if anything has changed, but a friend had one stolen... thieves just broke the panel and ripped it out. Thieves don't care if they break everything, just want the crack rock they can trade it for.

Put the stereo in, with a good alarm. Live your life. Not many car stereos are stolen now. Everything is made in China... not that expensive as it used to be.

labmule 07-31-2013 11:20 AM

Tyrone biggums red bulls - YouTube

lysol 07-31-2013 11:25 AM

Radios are still getting stolen. But, I do believe they are becoming more rare as the years go on.

Main reason being that most cars can't easily have an aftermarket stereo installed due to car manufacturers making the dash more unique. Gone are the days where every dash has a universal double or single DIN stereo slot. There are still a few though.

panthermark 07-31-2013 01:09 PM

The antitheft/code helps a little bit, and you would think that any HU with nav would be somewhat traceable.....but I guess not.

Drock1979 08-14-2013 02:57 AM

revival... Im looking into a 2013 rubi with factory nav but soft top, does the factory nav have a removable faceplate, if not what can be done to secure this. Im used to nothing fancy in my jeep so this is causing some anxiety. Thanks for your info.

staticattic 08-14-2013 03:49 AM

When I was in high school, I had a job at the local Lowe's lumber yard. One of the guys that worked there had a second source of income in that he acquired and sold stolen car stereos. No one really knew until the cops showed up and arrested him at work one day. Talking to him later, he told us thieves were mostly interested in the smash and grab, anything they can get quickly. If he and his crew broke in a car and found out they coud not quickly remove the head unit, they would just shove a screwdriver in the CD slot to make sure it was broken and no longer usable. That was their way of saying, "You made it hard for me to steal your stereo, now I am going to make sure you can never use it again."

Fast foward 23 years to today. I roll with my top down all of the time. Honestly, I have never given a second thought to the idea of someone stealing my radio. What I am more worried about is someone stealing my daughter's booster seat. I don't think there is much of a demand for black market booster seats, but it would be something that could be easily and quickly removed from the Jeep without attracting much attention. I will say, that even with the top down, when I park it somewhere, I roll the windows up and engage the alarm. The back seat is still exposed, but at least if someone wanted to remove something from the front seat area, they would have a little more difficulty.

2five22 08-14-2013 10:21 AM

In the days of the CJ5 and CJ7, having a Pioneer Super Tuner cassette deck in a Jeep was a thief's dream.

Now, unless you buy and install truly high end gear, nope. Factory units aren't highly regarded.

Drock1979 08-14-2013 09:00 PM

So even factory navigation would not seem like a target? I think I see your points just don't have anything currently that would tempt a thief and the niceness of the Jk and its nav makes me think it would be more tempting for said thief to give it a go.

WhiskeyMike 08-14-2013 10:47 PM

I just put in a Pioneer double din unit with detachable face plate, and I don't really worry about it except when reading these threads. :nonono: the main thing for me is that I don't frequent neighborhoods where crime is common either at home or work. I have the detachable plate which makes it worthless.

If I did frequent problematic neighborhoods, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I'm more concerned with a vandal than a thief.

panthermark 08-14-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drock1979 (Post 4079354)
So even factory navigation would not seem like a target? I think I see your points just don't have anything currently that would tempt a thief and the niceness of the Jk and its nav makes me think it would be more tempting for said thief to give it a go.

Yes and no....

They are expensive units, so they are worth something. But they only work in certain Chrysler built vehicles made in certain years. That limits the market compared to a universal aftermarket unit.

2five22 08-14-2013 11:04 PM

Keep in mind that even the expensive 730N isn't universally well regarded as a navigation unit or a receiver. Do a search here and you'll see a number of complaints about it.

Much better options exist in the aftermarket world and if someone were going to steal stereo units, they'd rather go after higher end stuff for more return per unit stolen.

jdambm 08-14-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drock1979 (Post 4079354)

'12 and '13 factory head units are antitheft which require a 4 digit code if removed from the original vehicle. Without that code it is a brick.

Pfiffmeister83 08-14-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdambm (Post 4079930)

'12 and '13 factory head units are antitheft which require a 4 digit code if removed from the original vehicle. Without that code it is a brick.

I don't see the point.

It's not like a thief is going to return the radio because he couldn't get it to work.

Drock1979 08-14-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pfiffmeister83 (Post 4079985)

I don't see the point.

It's not like a thief is going to return the radio because he couldn't get it to work.

Exactly lol

Brankz 08-14-2013 11:37 PM

Where are u located? I have a new jk radio unit. If u in San Diego Or near is yours for a beer or American honey lol just joking beer is ok.
If not I ship it to u but u pay shipping= 6 bucks I think.

Rmiller31 08-14-2013 11:43 PM

You have to remember that the people stealing from cars probably aren't the sharpest crayons in the box. They will figure it out sooner or later when they try to use it or sell it but the majority of theives are opportunity thieves.

I had one steal my old satellite radio out of my tj which needs a code to activate but I'm sure he didn't know that.

joeuncool 08-15-2013 12:03 AM

I was reading articles that car stereo theft is way, way, down. There is just no money in it and it takes to long. Today thieves are stealing that smartphone, iPod, iPad, laptop, or navigation device that you may have left in your car. One of the biggest things around here is that they are stealing gym bags because they are hoping that the above items might be inside. It only takes 2 seconds (or less) to pop a window and reach in and grab what is on the seat.

Ajax333333 08-15-2013 12:59 AM

My jeep was broken into Saturday night. The only thing they got was an empty sunglasses case. They didn't mess with the radio or the locked glove compartment. The only reason the center counsel was unlocked is because in my last jeep it was locked and they just ripped off the top if it.

Never owned a jeep that wasn't broken into. Owned 4 cars in my life and 3 of the have been jeeps.

Brankz 08-15-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeuncool (Post 4080124)
I was reading articles that car stereo theft is way, way, down. There is just no money in it and it takes to long. Today thieves are stealing that smartphone, iPod, iPad, laptop, or navigation device that you may have left in your car. One of the biggest things around here is that they are stealing gym bags because they are hoping that the above items might be inside. It only takes 2 seconds (or less) to pop a window and reach in and grab what is on the seat.

Uhmmmm u have lots of experience uh ?! 8/ lol just playing

TopDwnWhlsUp 08-15-2013 04:55 AM

Had my stereo stolen out of my yj a couple years ago, friend had his stolen out of his tj. They've left my jk alone so far though. Funny part about the yj they only got the faceplate, wrecked the crap outta my dash trying to get the rest of it.

Drock1979 08-16-2013 04:06 PM

Thieves suck!

jlr551cfd 08-16-2013 05:09 PM

Remember, most aftermarket stereos have more features and are LESS expensive than the factory original also!