Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   90,000 mile check-up (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/90-000-mile-check-up-259593.html)

jiminmanjr 07-31-2013 11:30 AM

90,000 mile check-up

Hey all...

My 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport is coming up on 90,000 miles. Aside from a clutch pedal that occasionally squeaks, everything on the ride is pretty good. Regular maintenance, a few repairs (sway bar for Death Wobble, etc.), and I know I need new tires before winter.

Any suggestions of other things I should consider/review/must do?

Appreciate the input!

jiminmanjr 08-05-2013 03:53 PM

Just bumping up... in case someone has a suggestion.

jherrington 08-05-2013 04:00 PM

fluid changes if you haven't already been doing so.

DBoat 08-06-2013 12:24 PM

I am doing a complete cooling system upgrade and change out.. belt, hoses, fan clutch and radiator. I have 89,000 on the clock. New battery and battery cables too.

Robertsk1 08-06-2013 12:26 PM

Plugs, cap, rotor, wires...

jiminmanjr 08-06-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jherrington (Post 4042660)
fluid changes if you haven't already been doing so.

Been doing that for sure...

Quote:

I am doing a complete cooling system upgrade and change out.. belt, hoses, fan clutch and radiator. I have 89,000 on the clock. New battery and battery cables too.
Hmmmm.... doing that always concerns me. I've always been partial to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" idea. The system works well, so I'm not sure I need to repair/replace all that.

Thanks for the tips!

jherrington 08-06-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiminmanjr (Post 4046351)

Hmmmm.... doing that always concerns me. I've always been partial to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" idea. The system works well, so I'm not sure I need to repair/replace all that.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm also a fan of the if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Changing out correctly working parts can leave you with broken parts in the end.

DBoat 08-06-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tips!

To each his own.. I'd rather put in some new parts rather than have old parts fail on me while I am miles back in the woods and halfway crawling up some rocky hill.

MarkGLHS 08-07-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robertsk1 (Post 4046295)
Plugs, cap, rotor, wires...

the o.p.'s TJ is a 2003 which of course does not have a distributor cap or plug wires. but changing the spark plugs is an excellent idea.

at 90K you should change all the driveline fluids (differential, xfer case, trany).

i'd also think about coating the inside of the frame with Eastwoods internal frame coating if you have not done that yet, you will need 2-3 cans for the complete frame.

UnlimitedRubicon 08-07-2013 04:20 AM

Replace the serpentine belt (keep the old as a spare) and flush the cooling system.

R u s s 08-07-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tips!

I would agree no need to replace battery if it is still working good

Verf 08-07-2013 07:01 AM

BTW, the Eastwood Internal Frame stuff is only $15.99 with free shipping on Ebay and its direct from Eastwood. Best deal I could find, so I ordered 3 since I needed to do it anyway, lol.

Robertsk1 08-07-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGLHS (Post 4049284)
the o.p.'s TJ is a 2003 which of course does not have a distributor cap or plug wires. but changing the spark plugs is an excellent idea.

at 90K you should change all the driveline fluids (differential, xfer case, trany).

i'd also think about coating the inside of the frame with Eastwoods internal frame coating if you have not done that yet, you will need 2-3 cans for the complete frame.

Completely missed the year. Thanks for the correction :thumb:

UnlimitedRubicon 08-07-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R u s s (Post 4049487)
I would agree no need to replace battery if it is still working good

For me it would depend entirely on how old the battery was. If it's near the end of it's probable service life, I'd put a new one in. A new battery will be less expensive than a tow from the middle of nowhere and/or other potential costs.

R u s s 08-07-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedRubicon (Post 4050865)

For me it would depend entirely on how old the battery was. If it's near the end of it's probable service life, I'd put a new one in. A new battery will be less expensive than a tow from the middle of nowhere and/or other potential costs.

I carry a jump pack. I guess Im just frugal that way.... nope never mind just poor;p lol

Verf 08-08-2013 07:02 AM

I'm gonna let you guys in on a secret about batteries. They don't really die. Industry secret. Its why Wal-Mart or Advance Auto gives you $5 back for the core, but a salvage yard will give you up to $12 back for it...they get recycled. As in reused. Cause they aren't really dead unless the case is cracked or a terminal destroyed, but even those can usually be saved.
My brother-in-law has done countless get rich quick schemes and like most, they don't pan out. One of them wasn't a get rich quick scheme, but a personal business called Battery Doctor. Its a niche business, he had connections at a local post office and was able to get a foothold there and got an annual contract. On the side, he'd charge folks $30 to re-condition their batteries, giving them a full 3 year warranty. Not pro-rated, full. Look around your local Craigslist for a Battery Doctor. They can do any battery, regardless how dead or old. Most charge between $30-$50. If you bring them extra old batteries, most will deduct some off your bill as they will usually turn around and sell those.
And its more than just adding new electrolyte. Its a whole conditioning process. I don't buy new batteries anymore. Good luck!