Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Is driving without doors or mirrors street legal? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/is-driving-without-doors-or-mirrors-street-legal-259745.html)

CouponPages 07-31-2013 09:38 PM

Is driving without doors or mirrors street legal?
 
I'm still waiting for my first Jeep to arrive and I've been telling everyone I want to pull off the doors and drive around without the top whenever I can.

Just wondering... is that street legal?

My guess is that although some states may allow you to go doorless, most would require the side mirrors, because that could be a danger to others.

Cdwright 07-31-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CouponPages (Post 4026368)
I'm still waiting for my first Jeep to arrive and I've been telling everyone I want to pull off the doors and drive around without the top whenever I can.

Just wondering... is that street legal?

My guess is that although some states may allow you to go doorless, most would require the side mirrors, because that could be a danger to others.

Ask a police officer, it varies by state.

kik 07-31-2013 09:44 PM

NY you need at least a driver's side mirror.

CouponPages 07-31-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 4026385)
NY you need at least a driver's side mirror.

That's reasonable... so I can drive without doors in NY, as long as I can find a mirror that mounts on the side of the windshield?

Cdwright 07-31-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CouponPages (Post 4026387)

That's reasonable... so I can drive without doors in NY, as long as I can find a mirror that mounts on the side of the windshield?

There are ones that fit right in the door hinges.

jeep2007 07-31-2013 09:49 PM

The mirror usually mounts to the door hinge ..

CouponPages 07-31-2013 10:54 PM

Thanks... I just spotted a bunch of mirrors on Quadratech. It looks like most mount on the windshield, presumably for people who use the hinges for half doors, but I saw several hinge models.

To me, the hinge option is the best way to go.

Any thoughts on brand? The two most popular seemed to be Lange and Olympic.

jeep2007 07-31-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CouponPages (Post 4026645)
Thanks... I just spotted a bunch of mirrors on Quadratech. It looks like most mount on the windshield, presumably for people who use the hinges for half doors, but I saw several hinge models.

To me, the hinge option is the best way to go.

Any thoughts on brand? The two most popular seemed to be Lange and Olympic.

I like and use the American outlaw mirrors .. Love em .. Takes 10 seconds to put on or take off ..

hair2831 07-31-2013 11:26 PM

Justaddmud.com has some sweet mirrors for the door hinge.

mark_s 08-01-2013 12:08 AM

Whether it's actually legal or not the risk of you being "at fault" significantly increases if you're in an accident.

2five22 08-01-2013 12:49 AM

State contingent.

Increased liability with less than three mirrors? Please provide civil case law supporting this assertion. It is either legal per the State vehicle code or not.

CouponPages 08-01-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hair2831 (Post 4026720)
Justaddmud.com has some sweet mirrors for the door hinge.

Thanks. I love the magnetic locking... I think I'll order a pair.

FYI ... The domain is justaddmuddoffroad.com

mhilbush 08-01-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CouponPages (Post 4028877)
Thanks. I love the magnetic locking... I think I'll order a pair.

FYI ... The domain is justaddmuddoffroad.com

Actually, it's justaddmudoffroad.com ;)

jmb6420 08-01-2013 09:56 PM

====LIST of STATE MIRROR LAWS==== - JeepForum.com

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/..._by_State_(U.S.)

CouponPages 08-01-2013 10:15 PM

Sticky fingers on my iPad. :)

Anyhow, I love the idea of using a magnetic lock to hold it in place instead of using a wrench, so I just ordered a pair.

For what it's worth, I think it's a great price too, because you get a pair for under $100.

CouponPages 08-01-2013 10:17 PM

Looks like that page is no longer active... is there an updated URL?

So far, I'll most likely drive in NY and NJ with the doors off, but it's good to have a resource for checking before a road trip.

jmb6420 08-02-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CouponPages (Post 4030013)
Looks like that page is no longer active... is there an updated URL?

So far, I'll most likely drive in NY and NJ with the doors off, but it's good to have a resource for checking before a road trip.

For some reason the last period and parenthesis was dropped from the url.

Try this: Mirror Laws

panthermark 08-02-2013 06:20 AM

In Illinois it is street legal...:dance:

CouponPages 08-02-2013 10:25 PM

Thanks, Mike... that link works. It looks like I'm good to go doorless in NY and NJ, as long as I have side mirrors. I ordered the JustAddMud pair and it will arrive long before my Jeep does (drats).

One more question. What are the rules for driving with the Windshield down? That would give me the ultimate open air experience.

americonium 08-02-2013 10:48 PM

You might want to YouTube the instructions for dropping the windshield. Ugly and a pita to boot.

CouponPages 08-02-2013 10:59 PM

Thanks for the advice... I checked out a couple of videos. I think I'll pass on it now.

My sister had an 88 (YJ) in the 80s... it was much easier, so I hoped the JK would be just as easy.

army vet 08-02-2013 11:40 PM

(a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, when driven or
operated upon a public highway, road or street shall be equipped with a
front windshield in a fixed and more or less upright position
constructed of safety glass as defined in subdivision fourteen of this
section and required by subdivisions eleven and twelve hereof. No person
shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign or other nontransparent
material other than a certificate or paper required to be displayed by
law upon the front windshield or the sidewings or side windows on either
side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat.

Magnetic mirrors on Staten Island!!! You might want to re-think that.

Scott2373 08-03-2013 10:19 AM

I live in NY and looked into the laws right after I got my Jeep. You are required to have a rear view mirror on the driver side AND an interior mounted (on your windshield) mirror. As far as doors go, there are no regulations requiring them. I printed out a copy of the laws for mirrors and keep it in my glove box in case a cop gives me any guff about not having a pass side mirror when my doors are off. I use the Rugged Ridge mirror relocation kit which makes the pass mirror 90% useless with the doors off and 100% useless with the doors on.

woansleftpeg 08-03-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 4030529)
In Illinois it is street legal...:dance:

Likewise in Ontario.

david.w.johnson 08-03-2013 12:00 PM

When I lived in Alabama, it was hard to get me to go anything but naked.

CouponPages 08-03-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by army vet (Post 4033740)

Magnetic mirrors on Staten Island!!! You might want to re-think that.

The JustAddMudd mirrors are not 100% magnetic, but that's what keeps them steady.

They slip into the hinges, and they say the heavy magnet is just a way to lock them in place so you don't have to bolt them in.

For me, I won't have that many opportunities to go doorless, but I still want something that's quick and easy.

army vet 08-03-2013 11:32 PM

10-4. As long as you can bolt it down, one good pot hole and you'd watch your mirror bounce down the highway:banghead:

Turtle Shell 08-04-2013 12:21 AM

Not sure about laws for you but what I do for mirrors when my doors are off is a little trick I was taught. You go down to your local auto zone or car shop and pick up those blind spot 3m adhesive mirrors that are 2.5 in or so big. You then stick them on the air conditioner vents so you can angle them anyway desired, turn it and still have full use of AC or flip it around so it's not noticeable. It helps with the legality and makes you not worry about putting mirrors on! Also it's super cheap!

mark_s 02-16-2014 03:00 AM

Quadratech and some other aftermarket sellers sell Jeep hinge mirrors that mount on your door mount hinge pins. It takes about 60 seconds to install and adjust a set of them. PLUS you'll be a lot safer while changing lanes.

2013 Moab 02-16-2014 07:23 AM

Just ordered a set of the magnetic ones along with some foot pegs from justaddmud now all I need is for the two feet of snow to go away and some warm weather.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.