Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   quick display lights flash and quick speedo die (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/quick-display-lights-flash-and-quick-speedo-die-260078.html)

DirtyTeddy 08-02-2013 11:51 AM

quick display lights flash and quick speedo die

Doing 75 on the way to the beach and about 3 times along the way, random lights would flash upon the dash and the speedo would completely bug out and drop as if slowing down but I was still maintaining speed.

It lasted less than a second so could not tell what lights were popping up. Also these consecutive times all happened in a span of 20min on an hour trip. Happened once on the way home as well.

Any Insight on what gremlin I have would be awesome

nwbronco 08-02-2013 11:54 AM

Check your battery voltage. Should be around 12.5VDC with engine off, and around 14.5VDC with the engine running.

Bob K.

sunnykk 08-02-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyTeddy (Post 4031477)
Doing 75 on the way to the beach and about 3 times along the way, random lights would flash upon the dash and the speedo would completely bug out and drop as if slowing down but I was still maintaining speed.

Also interested in this thread. Happened to me too, yesterday while on the freeway. First time this has happened to me since I got my Jeep.

DirtyTeddy 08-02-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnykk (Post 4031556)

Also interested in this thread. Happened to me too, yesterday while on the freeway. First time this has happened to me since I got my Jeep.

@ bronco will do thanks

Glad someone else is in the same boat and just not a stray gremlin lol did your speedo die for a second as well?

sunnykk 08-02-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyTeddy (Post 4031827)
@ bronco will do thanks

Glad someone else is in the same boat and just not a stray gremlin lol did your speedo die for a second as well?

Yup, the speedometer did die for a second or less. But my actual speed didn't change. At least, it didn't feel like it. It all happened so fast. The flashing etc. lasted for a fraction of a second.

DirtyTeddy 08-02-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnykk (Post 4031887)

Yup, the speedometer did die for a second or less. But my actual speed didn't change. At least, it didn't feel like it. It all happened so fast. The flashing etc. lasted for a fraction of a second.

Ok then it is the same exact circumstance. Was scared it was a cause of me flooding my jeep earlier this year LOL

Phaedrus 08-02-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyTeddy (Post 4031477)

It lasted less than a second so could not tell what lights were popping up. Also these consecutive times all happened in a span of 20min on an hour trip. Happened once on the way home as well.

Any Insight on what gremlin I have would be awesome

Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. Any momentary break in contact will cause this.

DougM55 08-02-2013 06:49 PM

Just went through this. Not 100% sure what fixed it. Dealer replaced the TIPM and WCM. I also disconnected my aftermarket remote start.

DirtyTeddy 08-15-2013 08:27 AM

Just a bit of update, it happens randomly now usually in the heat. But I notice now that I do lose acceleration because it happened back to back and was noticeable. Checked my battery connections and they seem tight, I'll give a go cleaning them

ave8er 08-15-2013 09:54 AM

My '12 did this. And then it left me stranded miles from anywhere. It turned out to be the battery on my Jeep, may not hold true for you. They told me the battery shorted out inside. It was on a Sunday and it was like 7pm. I bought a battery from the closest auto parts store. Mailed the receipt to Jeep and they mailed me a check.

scottmphoto 08-15-2013 12:29 PM

My Rubi did this, the electronic sway bar unit was not waterproofed and was shorting. Chrysler replaced it.

sunnykk 08-20-2013 10:05 AM

It has happened to me 3-4 times now. Also, it is not limited to driving on the freeway. It happened to me when I was doing 10MPH twice back-to-back in a span of 20 seconds.

I may need to at least have my battery checked out.

DirtyTeddy 08-20-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnykk (Post 4099949)
It has happened to me 3-4 times now. Also, it is not limited to driving on the freeway. It happened to me when I was doing 10MPH twice back-to-back in a span of 20 seconds.

I may need to at least have my battery checked out.

I sprayed some wd40 and it hasn't happened since. Maybe coincidence. I'll check out the battery if it happens again. Also may put some dielectric grease when I clean the bay

DougM55 08-20-2013 03:29 PM

I ended up having a bad battery replaced under warranty on my 2012 with 28K miles.

Olsen185 10-27-2013 07:34 PM

Unfortunately I'm in the same situation. I was finally able to video the issues today though. Off to the dealership tomorrow.
2012 Rubi electrical issues - YouTube

DirtyTeddy 10-27-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olsen185 (Post 5696417)
Unfortunately I'm in the same situation. I was finally able to video the issues today though. Off to the dealership tomorrow.

I sprayed WD40 and wiped the terminals. Hasn't happened since...

Olsen185 11-01-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olsen185 (Post 5696417)

Along with the electrical issues I am also having an issue with my auto transmission. Well I got a call from the service manager today, apparently even after seeing the video and reading my trouble codes (P0741, P0573) they can't find anything wrong with my jeep. Here is the kicker, he told me that my error codes were probably caused because I have an aftermarket radio and aftermarket headlights.

I left a message for the gm, I'm waiting for a call back now.

WranglerAddict 11-02-2013 12:44 AM

Had this happen a few weeks ago while the wife was driving. It was right after I lifted ours so I thought maybe something came loose and body shifted over the axels. All lights came on and speedo dropped for a brief second she said. Took it into dealer and they said my comp malfunctioned and try replaced the entire computer system. I have a '13 JKU Sport

Texanrojo 11-02-2013 12:59 AM

Same happened to me twice now. I've installed offroad lights and a line level converter for my factory sub. I have a feeling it's the line level converter because my sub sounds like crap before it happens. So I'm betting there's a short in there because of that. But I need to check batt as well

DirtyTeddy 11-02-2013 05:34 AM

Try unlocking your battery and cleaning it up.