Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Odometer reading. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/odometer-reading-260770.html)

blade4804 08-05-2013 04:40 PM

Odometer reading.

So I have realized my 99 TJ had the loose/dirty connection issue with the gauge cluster. I noticed while I was driving and the speedometer was flat my odometer also didn't move. I just bought this jeep and the likely hood that this started as soon as I got the jeep is slim to none. Is there anyway to find the actual mileage on this jeep? Is there info in the computer? (If it has one) is there something I can do and get the dealership to get me a rebate since actual mileage is most likely way higher than what the odometer reads....

Thanks guys.

Shelby427 08-05-2013 10:03 PM

If it's like most, the computer stores the mileage as does the cluster. Makes it nearly impossible to defeat it. If you had a reading it was correct at the time. Fix your connection problem and the only difference will be the miles you drove between the time the odometer was working and the time you fixed the connections.

So say the odometer showed 50,000 miles when the odometer stopped reading.
The computer would still keep track of it. And we'll say you drove 50 miles until you fixed the connection problem. Soon as you hooked it back up the odometer would now show 50,050.

And no I doubt the dealer is going to do anything about it for you, monetarily wise.

blade4804 08-05-2013 10:39 PM

So I fixed the connection issue, and my odometer didn't change. It is changing now that I am driving with it fixed. The reason I bring this up, I used to drive an '02 Mazda protege and I bought an eBay gauge cluster to replace mine. My actual mileage on my original cluster was 165k and the replacement cluster had its own reading of 85k. When I traded it in, I had to sign a waiver stating the mileage was wrong.

So on the jeep, carfax says it was sold to the PO at 112k miles, it had 114.5k miles when I bought it. The previous owner had it for 7 years. I highly doubt he only put 2.5k miles on it in 7 years. So if I take it to Jeep, can they pull the actual mileage from the computer? Or am I screwed not knowing?

Also it had factory tires on it, the speedo was off by about 5mph (the few times it worked), I just put 31/1005/15 on them and the speedo is now accurate, so I am thinking its been running on 31"'s for a while and they were sold off before trading in...

...sorry just frustrated thinking I may have overpaid for the jeep because of what I thought was great mileage....

Shelby427 08-05-2013 11:07 PM

The computer is what sends the signals to the cluster. So your computer should be sending the correct mileage.

Don't know on a Mazda. Did it have an electronic readout or the old roller style odometer? Roller is easy to trick, electronic not so much.

GM vehicles store the mileage in the PCM, BCM, and odometer. If you swap out the cluster in one, and don't have the system reprogrammed, the odometer will jump to the correct vehicle mileage reading within a mile of driving, from what ever was on the odometer.

You could always contact the the DMV, normally with each years registration the mileage on the vehicle has to be listed. Also if in an inspection state, it's listed every time the inspection is done.

mfarr75 08-06-2013 12:58 AM

I wish my odometer would stop. I would love to never have to do an oil change again!

Steve2012 08-06-2013 01:35 AM

I would definitely look into the car fax difference, and would contact the dealer. They should have known it was not correct if only had 2500 miles in 7 years. Should have disclosed that to you.

Tripp 08-06-2013 01:53 AM

I've only put 3000 miles on my TJ in 4 years. It is not my primary driver, pretty much only gets towed behind the RV. So it could be possible that the mileage is right.

Seriously doubt it though....

smooved 08-06-2013 02:14 AM

Same as Tripp here, I put my daily driver to rest about 4 years ago with about 99k on it and have put about 2k on it since then. 2.5k in that amount of time is possible, but unlikely.

blade4804 08-06-2013 11:30 AM

the odometer in the protege was digital, the gauge cluster has a memory and it stores the info. I found out the older TJ's do the same. the actual mileage should still be in the ECU however, so taking it to Jeep to see if they can give me a free reading lol... doubt it tho.

I was trolling ebay last night and found some GC's for 75 to 100 bucks that have an odometer reading of 25k... lol might have to swap it out.