Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Buying a 2014 Wrangler....Advice please? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/buying-a-2014-wrangler-advice-please-261023.html)

realhawker 08-06-2013 04:51 PM

Buying a 2014 Wrangler....Advice please?
 
Hi Everyone. Lurked for a few weeks, just registered. Live in Northern NJ.
[I did post in welcome forum, and I have read through most of the major posts]

Would love advice from those who live in similar climate, and similar lifestyle.

Thinking about a Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited as a 3rd car.
My wife and I currently have a minivan and small SUV, both leases.

Looking for something fun, a little off road every once in a while. Also a once/twice a week commuter, but of 40+ miles. Also would love this to be my son's first car 6-7 years from now. My kids are 8 & 10. I would not see myself towing anything, but we do get a good amount of snow where i live, and I am on a hill, so it gets hairy in winter.

Debating between 2 door and 4 door wrangler. I test drove the 2 door with hard top. My friend is on his second unlimited and I have driven it. I was pretty happy with test drive.

I already joined Tread Lightly, if anything to ease negotiations.

So I am thinking about ordering within next 7 days.... trying to limit it to questions that effect the order - I am sure i'll have way more once I get it!

-----------------------------
I'll just list my general questions - appreciate any and all feedback.
(If I should start a real thread, let me know!)
In general, price is not the biggest concern, but I dont want to throw away $$ on things I don't need.

Sahara vs Sport S vs Rubicon - Thinking Sahara since it will be more on-road than off. I like the sahara wheels and painted fenders.

2 door vs 4 door? - Seems easier to have kids jump in back. My wife and I love the feel of the 2 door, and rear seats how its open. I thought the 2 door test drive, the ride was different than I am used to, i've been seeing that its probably the shorter wheelbase.

Half Doors vs Full doors - just saw this today as an option. If I wanted both, painted, what is best way to order? Really love the feel/look of this - a family summer cruiser, going to parks, etc...

Soft top vs prem. soft top vs hard top - I know I want soft top, for ease of having top down quickly. I heard bad things from dealer about premium soft top - as in it was hard to get back on, because of shrinkage

Buy vs Lease - Dealer told me lots of people end up with Lease Equity..... Won't put too many miles since its 3rd car.

Color - Was thinking of copperhead - unless its going to delay purchase too long. Other thoughts are anvil or silver/gray

Options:
Bluetooth is a must, Nav would be nice.
Satellite radio is a must
Would love upgraded sound, but not at cost of space or anything.
Some way to attach modern ipad for songs.

what else is a "must" ?


thanks!

donmeca2020 08-06-2013 05:02 PM

you being a family man i'd say the 4 door would be more approiate for you.

all your questions are basically personal preference.... everyone likes something different.

depending on your area, when it comes with weather and of course safety and in cabin security should also give you an idea if you want a soft top or hard top also with the half doors or full doors....

i would recommend buying the wrangler rather then leasing it. from what i see jeep wranglers hold value very well. doesn't really matter how the high the mileage is.

as for color choice once again thats your own preference.... i've been a guy who's always owned blue vehicles. this time around im very partial to copperhead. hydro blue would also be a thought but considering its only available for a special edition i'll stick with my copperhead.

good luck in whatever you do. please keep us informed!!

realhawker 08-06-2013 05:09 PM

Thanks!
I know most are preference questions, just thought someone with similar experience would know whether I should order.

Do you know if I could order 2014 with colors from 2013?

StarBrite 08-06-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realhawker (Post 4047212)
2 door vs 4 door? - Seems easier to have kids jump in back. My wife and I love the feel of the 2 door, and rear seats how its open. I thought the 2 door test drive, the ride was different than I am used to, i've been seeing that its probably the shorter wheelbase.

Aside from ease of entry/exit, also keep in mind those little boys are going to be BIG boys soon! Will they be happy riding in the back of a two door with their knees up around their ears? :D

Color - Was thinking of copperhead - unless its going to delay purchase too long. Other thoughts are anvil or silver/gray

Color is so personal. Have you read the 2014 confirmed color thread? It should be fall before copperhead is available. And lots of people are talking about it there.

Options:
Bluetooth is a must
Some way to attach modern ipad for songs.

Make sure you order the connectivity group. That will give you streaming Bluetooth for calls and music and the USB port to hardwire as well.

what else is a must?

Welcome Distributing GraBars are fantastic. They were one of our first mods. Tried the para cord handles, but didn't care for them at all.

ACE rock sliders were another first. Might be extra nice for the kids climbing in and out.

Hope this helps! Good luck choosing your new jeep! :flowers:

StarBrite 08-06-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realhawker (Post 4047264)
Thanks!
I know most are preference questions, just thought someone with similar experience would know whether I should order.

Do you know if I could order 2014 with colors from 2013?

On the first page of the 2014 info thread there is a list of all colors, available and discontinued.

donmeca2020 08-06-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realhawker (Post 4047264)
Thanks!
I know most are preference questions, just thought someone with similar experience would know whether I should order.

Do you know if I could order 2014 with colors from 2013?

check out the 2014 information thread that is stickied in this section. gives all info you need about 2014 models

as for colors only a few colors carried over to the 2014 model year.

im sort of like you bro, still havent gotten one yet but about to order very soon. i have about 3 and half months worth of knowledge from this site so im ready to buy.

your best bet is to research,research and research more on here. this site is just chalk full of good info.

Loudness 08-06-2013 05:17 PM

I went in to the Jeep dealer dead set on a 2 door. After test driving both the 2 and 4 door I walked out having ordered a 2014 4 door. My wife and I both felt there was no comparison with regards to ride and functionality...

Now if the darn thing would just get here (should be landing at the dealer next week)!! :dance:

realhawker 08-06-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudness (Post 4047290)
I went in to the Jeep dealer dead set on a 2 door. After test driving both the 2 and 4 door I walked out having ordered a 2014 4 door. My wife and I both felt there was no comparison with regards to ride and functionality...

Now if the darn thing would just get here (should be landing at the dealer next week)!! :dance:

Thats going to be the worst and best part - anticipation!

I guess I need to drag wife to dealer.:doh:

realhawker 08-06-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarBrite (Post 4047270)
Welcome Distributing GraBars are fantastic. They were one of our first mods. Tried the para cord handles, but didn't care for them at all.

ACE rock sliders were another first. Might be extra nice for the kids climbing in and out.

Hope this helps! Good luck choosing your new jeep! :flowers:

This does help - rock sliders look good. Grabars seems popular too.


thanks! Boy+Girl - but yeah they will be taller than me soon i think.

Nickdoesabodygood 08-06-2013 05:44 PM

As far as the half doors go it's quite a commitment. I don't know your financial situation but for me having both was NOT an option. If you order with halfs you will be giving up options including, but not limited to, leather, power windows, power locks, keyless entry, alarm, and there may be something else that I'm forgetting. If you order with full doors you can get all those options but to buy factory hals after the fact will run you in excess of $3000 especially if you want 4 doors. There are however plenty of aftermarket door options although they IMO pale greatly in comparison to the factory halfs. There is a thread discussing the differences... http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/hal...nt-259487.html
For a "family" jeep I would prob go with the full doors. FWIW I ordered my new one with halfs after driving with fulls for the past 5 years.

Dragonscape 08-06-2013 05:44 PM

With an 8yr old and a 10yr old go with the 4 door, you may think of it as the 3rd vehicle
but once in the driveway it will become the PRIMARY.
Since you are in NJ if you have a garage go with the hard top and a hoist quicker to go topless and looks better to (IMO)

StarBrite 08-06-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realhawker (Post 4047328)
This does help - rock sliders look good. Grabars seems popular too.


thanks! Boy+Girl - but yeah they will be taller than me soon i think.

Oops! Sorry, I thought you said two boys. We have a girl and a boy about two years apart, too. They are 15 and 13 and they NEED the legroom! :D

HardCase 08-06-2013 05:53 PM

I just picked out a new '13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and will take delivery in a few days. I think you made the better choice, based on handling and also passenger room. Also......I would probably not be too keen to give a teenager a 2dr Wrangler as a first car. Several people I know have done that and it has never ended particularly well. I realize that the new ones have some safety features that older ones lacked, and I'm certain that those things (stuff like stability/traction control) help, but older small Wranglers are a little squirrely in their handling and not a good choice IMHO for an inexperienced driver. I had a 2000 TJ Sport and my daughter, who graduated from high-school in '05, drove it a number of times as she was learning to drive and early in her driving career, and it scared the s**t out of her more than once. And, living in a northern climate, I suspect you see some snowpacked and icy roads from time-to-time. Having said all of that, I suspect that the longer Unlimited will handle icy roads much better.

4x4n 08-06-2013 05:59 PM

With growing kids you will want to go with the 4 door. I have the 2 door and getting in the back is a pain. My kids all all grown so no worries for me as I took the back seat out the day I got it. :D

As for the premium soft top, get it! The dealer is full of crap, it goes on just as easy, looks much better, and it quieter than the standard soft top. I had the standard top on my 2011 and there really is no comparison.

donmeca2020 08-06-2013 06:06 PM

myself personally i felt a soft top security wise is not the way to go thats the same with the half doors. the half doors with soft upper portion as well as the soft top can easily be cut into with a pocket knife and there goes whatever it is you have in that vehicle....

when i order my 2014 it will have a hardtop as well as the full doors. if you don't want the doors on sometimes you can simply take them off and or go with tube doors eventually.

JeepGuy425 08-06-2013 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Really should wait for the 2015's, they'll have camo as a color option and hover conversion kits for sahara and rubicon models.

KC_Hawker 08-06-2013 07:15 PM

My 2 cents, so take it for what it's worth. As a 3rd car, there is no reason to go 4 door unless you want to. This summer my house has been full of college aged kids, all over 6ft with 2 of us over 300lbs and 2 over 200. We fit in my jeep. I wouldn't want to go cross country with it, but around town it can be done. Since its not your primary, it shouldn't be an issue - maybe keep it for date night with the wife. :-)

By getting a 2 door, you save a good bit and get (in my opinion) a more fun to drive vehicle - I love the way it scoots around. It also is much cheaper if you want both half doors and full doors. You do :-)

I would get both tops, summer config half doors with soft top and full doors with hard top for winter. If you have a soft top, and its not garaged, you get to run out and clean your soft top every few inches of snow so you don't stress the hardware. Fyi- with dual tops you get the premium soft top too.

I would buy full doors and dual top and add half doors rolled into the financing. This would allow you to get a and keep the full power features. If you order half doors its harder to add full with power. While half doors sell well as separate items, they do detract value if its your only door choice. My trade in value dropped $2k when they found out I had half doors. They are nice, and rare, but they do decrease value.

Also, as someone older 43, I am looking hard at the Sahara's, in want more niceties than when I was young. I want it luxurious as well as tough...

packrat27 08-06-2013 09:45 PM

Welcome Hawker. I've got my 3rd Wrangler on order now, and have also owned 2 Cherokees. My kids grew up in Jeeps. :-)

> would love this to be my son's first car 6-7 years from now.

Well, keep in mind kids can tend to bang up their first car a bit while they are learning to drive. I know I did. But at least Jeeps are more rugged than a typical car, so that's a plus.

> we do get a good amount of snow where i live

Any Wrangler with good tires will do fine in street snow, but the lockers in a Rubicon do make a big difference for traction. You might like this video:
Deep Snow Trail Scouting on a Jeep Wrangler - YouTube

> Debating between 2 door and 4 door wrangler.

A 2 door will carry 2 people plus their gear for a trip, or carry 4 people and not much of any gear. So think of how much stuff you want to carry in addition to the people. A 4 door will give you a better ride and feel a little more civil, plus have better towing capacity. But the 2 door has the advantage off road. The shorter wheel base is less likely to get high centered or drag the bumpers. It also has the ability to turn around on a tight trail. With the 4 door on a tight New England woods trail, if you get to an impass you may to have to back up quite a ways before you find enough space to turn a 4 door around. But based on what you've written, I think the 4 door would be a better fit for your situation.

> Sahara vs Sport S vs Rubicon - Thinking Sahara since it will be more on-road than off. I like the sahara
wheels and painted fenders.

Depends a lot on what options you want. Download the 2014 Chrysler Fleet Buyers Guide here:
https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/v7fle...yers_Guide.pdf
and go to the Wrangler section starting on page 128. Over the next few pages, you can see what options are available with what models. That might help you choose.

> Half Doors vs Full doors

I've had both. I would suggest getting the full doors. The zipper windows on the half doors are a pain, especially at toll booths, drive through restaurant windows, and drive up bank ATMs. In the summer you can just take the full doors off completely if you want, or get aftermarket fabric half doors. If you really must have both factory sets, I would still order the Jeep with the full doors and then order the half doors separately since the full doors open you up to more options, (power windows, etc.) Also keep in mind that doors ordered separately will likely just come in primer so you'll want to have them painted.

> Soft top vs prem. soft top vs hard top ... for ease of having top down quickly

LOL - They are not that quick, not if you're thinking of a convertible car at least. Plan on 5-10 minutes at first until you've had some practice with it.

> heard bad things from dealer about premium soft top

I haven't had both myself, but I've heard although the premium top is heavier and a bit harder to manipulate, it makes up for it by being noticeably quieter inside at highway speeds. Think about if less road noise is worth it for you or not. It might be worth it to take a test drive on the highway to see first hand.

Also, Download the 2014 Jeep Users Guide here:
Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep
and look over the instructions for using the various tops.

Oh, one more thing. When you're driving around with the top off, keep in mind the back seats catch a lot more wind than what you get up front. On the major roads my kids complained the about the wind when they were little. They loved it on the back roads though, and especially off road.

And don't forget the sunscreen for the kids, just keep it in your Jeep all summer.

Hope some of this helps...

realhawker 08-06-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Hawker (Post 4047752)
My 2 cents, so take it for what it's worth. As a 3rd car, there is no reason to go 4 door unless you want to. This summer my house has been full of college aged kids, all over 6ft with 2 of us over 300lbs and 2 over 200. We fit in my jeep. I wouldn't want to go cross country with it, but around town it can be done. Since its not your primary, it shouldn't be an issue - maybe keep it for date night with the wife. :-)

By getting a 2 door, you save a good bit and get (in my opinion) a more fun to drive vehicle - I love the way it scoots around. It also is much cheaper if you want both half doors and full doors. You do :-)

I would get both tops, summer config half doors with soft top and full doors with hard top for winter. If you have a soft top, and its not garaged, you get to run out and clean your soft top every few inches of snow so you don't stress the hardware. Fyi- with dual tops you get the premium soft top too.

I would buy full doors and dual top and add half doors rolled into the financing. This would allow you to get a and keep the full power features. If you order half doors its harder to add full with power. While half doors sell well as separate items, they do detract value if its your only door choice. My trade in value dropped $2k when they found out I had half doors. They are nice, and rare, but they do decrease value.

Also, as someone older 43, I am looking hard at the Sahara's, in want more niceties than when I was young. I want it luxurious as well as tough...

thanks - this seems like the way to go. The forum rocks so far! :dance:

realhawker 08-06-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packrat27 (Post 4048467)
Welcome Hawker. I've got my 3rd Wrangler on order now, and have also owned 2 Cherokees. My kids grew up in Jeeps. :-)

> would love this to be my son's first car 6-7 years from now.

Well, keep in mind kids can tend to bang up their first car a bit while they are learning to drive. I know I did. But at least Jeeps are more rugged than a typical car, so that's a plus.

> we do get a good amount of snow where i live

Any Wrangler with good tires will do fine in street snow, but the lockers in a Rubicon do make a big difference for traction. You might like this video:
Deep Snow Trail Scouting on a Jeep Wrangler - YouTube

> Debating between 2 door and 4 door wrangler.

A 2 door will carry 2 people plus their gear for a trip, or carry 4 people and not much of any gear. So think of how much stuff you want to carry in addition to the people. A 4 door will give you a better ride and feel a little more civil, plus have better towing capacity. But the 2 door has the advantage off road. The shorter wheel base is less likely to get high centered or drag the bumpers. It also has the ability to turn around on a tight trail. With the 4 door on a tight New England woods trail, if you get to an impass you may to have to back up quite a ways before you find enough space to turn a 4 door around. But based on what you've written, I think the 4 door would be a better fit for your situation.

> Sahara vs Sport S vs Rubicon - Thinking Sahara since it will be more on-road than off. I like the sahara
wheels and painted fenders.

Depends a lot on what options you want. Download the 2014 Chrysler Fleet Buyers Guide here:
https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/v7fle...yers_Guide.pdf
and go to the Wrangler section starting on page 128. Over the next few pages, you can see what options are available with what models. That might help you choose.

> Half Doors vs Full doors

I've had both. I would suggest getting the full doors. The zipper windows on the half doors are a pain, especially at toll booths, drive through restaurant windows, and drive up bank ATMs. In the summer you can just take the full doors off completely if you want, or get aftermarket fabric half doors. If you really must have both factory sets, I would still order the Jeep with the full doors and then order the half doors separately since the full doors open you up to more options, (power windows, etc.) Also keep in mind that doors ordered separately will likely just come in primer so you'll want to have them painted.

> Soft top vs prem. soft top vs hard top ... for ease of having top down quickly

LOL - They are not that quick, not if you're thinking of a convertible car at least. Plan on 5-10 minutes at first until you've had some practice with it.

> heard bad things from dealer about premium soft top

I haven't had both myself, but I've heard although the premium top is heavier and a bit harder to manipulate, it makes up for it by being noticeably quieter inside at highway speeds. Think about if less road noise is worth it for you or not. It might be worth it to take a test drive on the highway to see first hand.

Also, Download the 2014 Jeep Users Guide here:
Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep
and look over the instructions for using the various tops.

Oh, one more thing. When you're driving around with the top off, keep in mind the back seats catch a lot more wind than what you get up front. On the major roads my kids complained the about the wind when they were little. They loved it on the back roads though, and especially off road.

And don't forget the sunscreen for the kids, just keep it in your Jeep all summer.

Hope some of this helps...

thank you - really leaning towards unlimited with full doors now.

realhawker 08-06-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGuy425 (Post 4047478)
Really should wait for the 2015's, they'll have camo as a color option and hover conversion kits for sahara and rubicon models.

May hold out for 2016's with Lazer turrets. :popcorn:

Capt611 08-06-2013 10:17 PM

Hawker, Welcome to the thread and Jeeps. I just got a 13' JKU Sahara dual top and many of the options. I LOVE it and it is my 4th Wrangler.

I think the advice you have gotten this far has been solid and would add that the Unlimited, Sahara, dual top is the way to go for many of the reasons already mentioned. Regardless of the way you go, I'm sure you will be finding reasons to drive it. When I bought my first one, the dealer said it won't be the last one and boy was he right.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

Capt.

realhawker 08-06-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt611 (Post 4048617)
Hawker, Welcome to the thread and Jeeps. I just got a 13' JKU Sahara dual top and many of the options. I LOVE it and it is my 4th Wrangler.

I think the advice you have gotten this far has been solid and would add that the Unlimited, Sahara, dual top is the way to go for many of the reasons already mentioned. Regardless of the way you go, I'm sure you will be finding reasons to drive it. When I bought my first one, the dealer said it won't be the last one and boy was he right.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

Capt.

thanks - I had no idea how addictive this can get!

It all started when my wife saw one with top down the other day....

Capt611 08-06-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realhawker (Post 4048662)

thanks - I had no idea how addictive this can get!

It all started when my wife saw one with top down the other day....

Yup, that's how it starts. Someone once told me when I bought my Harley it was a starter bike. I didn't get it until I started adding things to it. Well... Same with the JKU. There some other great forums that have several hundred pages of cheap mods that are well worth it. Most of them anyway. Have a blast, I know I am. Watch the spending though, way too easy to get out of hand. Trust me. :).

coelement777 08-07-2013 01:04 AM

I just bought a 13 2 door sport a month ago. I love it but i wish i had the premium soft top instead of the base one. I needed a car and didnt have time to order one so i was limited to what i could find on a lot. For your situation a 4 door sahara sounds like it would fit the bill. It may be a 3rd car now, but once you see how much fun they are to own and drive your going to want to take it on longer trips instead of your minivan, so with 2 kids you will need the extra room. If i was getting a 14 it would be anvil, with the dual top group and a painted hard top. Mine is a 6 speed and its a blast to drive, i would deffinatly get the 6 speed over the auto.

KC_Hawker 08-07-2013 07:12 AM

Options:
Bluetooth is a must, Nav would be nice.

Make sure you get the Connectivity Package. It adds other nice features. Many people see the Uconnect radio and think it has BT just because the buttons are present.
You also can only get Nav if you get a Sahara or Rubi unless you add it after the sale. Many people argue the difference between the 430n and 730n. 430n is Garmin based. I think the 730 is Harmon - someone please correct me if I am wrong. 430 needs the connectivity package - the radio is not BT by itself where the 730n has BT built in. Search the forum for more differences, but many people are extremely passionate about each so take what you read with a grain of salt.

Satellite radio is a must

Would be added whenever the Connectivity Package is. Not a part of it, but I believe it has to be ordered together and is a part of the Rubi/Sahara.

Would love upgraded sound, but not at cost of space or anything.

the Alpine package is ok, many don't like it yet others do. It comes standard on the Rubi and Sahara. It also takes up some cargo space in the rear for the sub but it also adds a 12v in the sub. The Sahara has a 112v outlet in console- not sure about the Rubi.

Some way to attach modern ipad for songs.

The connectivity package adds a USB outlet that will let you connect to the radio.

what else is a "must" ?

I believe having the limited slip rear, and 3.73 gears are worth it if you get the Sahara - no need in the Rubi. The rear to help in snow and the gears just in case you want bigger tires later or just better performance.

If you plan on using it on snow days, the remote start and heated seats are nice. My wife has it on her car and she hits a button, the car warms up, gets the ice half off the windows and is ready to go in less time. With the Jeep being 4wd, I could see it's use increased on snow days instead of the other vehicles.

2 door vs 4 door?

I wanted to weigh in on this one again as I have a different take than most of the other posters. Right now my 2 door Rubi is my daily driver. It only is because I work from home. I shuttle some "kids" around but that's it. I am looking at a new job , but if I go that route, I will buy another vehicle and my Jeep will then be what I consider a true 3rd car - I had done this in the past with a truck and/or motorcycles at differing points in my life. To me a primary car is to go to work - needs to be cheap on gas, cheap on price and as comfortable as I can deal with. My 3rd car is my passion. I use it for me alone. I may occasionally shuttle kids but if I need to fill all 4 seats, then its prob better in of the other vehicles.

I most likely would drive my Jeep to work 1 day a week (at most) just for the fun of it, but since it gets half the gas mileage of a primary car I would own, I would feel stupid to waste more gas than that. I average 15 MPG in my Wrangler, a 120 mile round trip commute (which I am looking at doing) would be almost 1/2 tank of gas -about $33 per day vs about $15 in an economy car. So unless I am planning on doing something specifically with my Rubi, I would take another vehicle.

To put it into perspective for long trips, I travel to Austin from KC 4 times a year. In my Jeep, its no less than 5 tankful's @ about $65 each. Last time, my wife wanted to go so we took her Kia Optima Turbo. My Jeep doesn't like going much past 65 and if you go the MPG drops a fair bit. My wife's car cruised down between 80 and 100 and still got well over 30 MPG - I made it to Dallas in 1 tank of gas! The cost difference was staggering.

The reason I am saying this is if you think like I do, you will have fun in your Jeep and it easily could be a 2 door instead of the 4 door because with the MPG and a little of the traveling, you most likely will not be taking 4 people on long trips in the Jeep unless the Jeep specifically why you want to take the long trip. It very well could be, but I think a lot of the posters are looking at you being in a 2 car only situation and needing the 4 doors for the kids. The 4 door adds several thousand to the base price and if you decide you want halfs like most people end up doing, it costs about $1K more to add halfs - that could be like $4.5K more than a 2 door with everything factored in. Like I said, for 2 months this year I have been dragging around 3 other very large people and we got by in a 2 door. Since most of the time I will be alone in mine, I am fine with it being only 2 doors, right now I am just waiting for 3 of the "kids" to get their own cars...

realhawker 08-07-2013 08:25 AM

thanks KC - nice perspective. Now you have me going back to 2-door.
If the 2-door is a hit - maybe ill swap out suv for unlimited. Still have the minivan for big time hauling or 4+ kids.

:whistling:

StarBrite 08-07-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realhawker (Post 4049673)
thanks KC - nice perspective. Now you have me going back to 2-door.
If the 2-door is a hit - maybe ill swap out suv for unlimited. Still have the minivan for big time hauling or 4+ kids.

:whistling:

Mike has a Sport JKU. We are going to trade my Odyssey for ANOTHER JKU once hydro blue comes out. The kids NEVER want to go anywhere in the Odyssey any more. Even though the Odyssey is loaded, they'd STILL rather go in the jeep, even with the doors and the tops on. :rofl:

We've taken it on several trips (4+ hrs drive time with NO built in DVD) and they love it. They watch movies on their iPad/iPhones or play games. We've had enough room for four suitcases and gear. Traveling hasn't been an issue.

thinkxingu 08-07-2013 08:53 AM

If you've got kids, you're outta yo' mind gettin' a two do'. Just sayin'.

Get rid of that lame-o van (there is NO WAY to be cool or enjoy it) and get yo'sef the right Jeep.

xjcj5jku 08-07-2013 09:17 AM

I guess I need to let go of my long standing "real Jeep" (Wrangler) bias... Connectivity, blue tooth, power locks... Very limited off road use, why not a Grand Cherokee or Compass? Jeep marketing has been very smart in breeding the Wrangler to have a foot in both worlds... so interesting what motivates our hearts to love and want a real Jeep (wrangler) yet still use it (or want it to be) like a luxury... (Ugh, wait for it... Car!) Don't listen to my bare boned and opened up Jeep bias, get whatever you love and drive it however and wherever you like!! :-)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.