Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   UCF Ultra High Clearance T-Case Skid (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/ucf-ultra-high-clearance-t-case-skid-261135.html)

Neal5280 08-07-2013 12:09 AM

UCF Ultra High Clearance T-Case Skid

Hey all,

I just ordered my Ultra High Clearance skid and lopro trans mount. Do any of you out there run this? Looking for any tips or tricks for install.

Nice thing is because I still have the stock suspension I won't have to do a whole lot of other upgrades... Until I do the lift then the barrel of monkeys gets opened, it will be a while before that happens though.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

BreckenridgeYJ 08-07-2013 12:32 AM

This may sound stupid or obvious, but make sure to support the tranny and t case with a jack/jackstand..... I've heard of people not doing so in the past when dropping the skid and damaging their drivetrain as the did not know the skid was the support as well......

Neal5280 08-07-2013 01:05 AM

Yep for sure, now I know it doesn't come with hardware and I want to make sure to use grade 8 I believe it calls for 1/2 x 1 1/2 13tpi bolts, where is the best place to find these... Home Depot/Lowes/ACE/?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreckenridgeTJ (Post 4049014)
This may sound stupid or obvious, but make sure to support the tranny and t case with a jack/jackstand..... I've heard of people not doing so in the past when dropping the skid and damaging their drivetrain as the did not know the skid was the support as well......

BreckenridgeYJ 08-07-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal5280 (Post 4049099)
Yep for sure, now I know it doesn't come with hardware and I want to make sure to use grade 8 I believe it calls for 1/2 x 1 1/2 13tpi bolts, where is the best place to find these... Home Depot/Lowes/ACE/?????

I would call fastenal.... They have several locations throughout the state. Their prices are killer and I've almost never found something the don't have in grade 8+

Neal5280 08-07-2013 01:55 AM

Awesome thanks I appreciate it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreckenridgeTJ (Post 4049108)
I would call fastenal.... They have several locations throughout the state. Their prices are killer and I've almost never found something the don't have in grade 8+

BreckenridgeYJ 08-07-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal5280 (Post 4049177)
Awesome thanks I appreciate it!

I'd replaced a few windshield torx bolts on my tj from the stealership for 6-8.00/each.... I bought a full set of hex head ones for my new yj..... About .30 each ;).

The belly up is going to be killer... Gspup one of the forum members runs a 2" budget boost on his tj with on (hi line tube fenders and 35's)... His jeep flat out works! LCG and looks killer. I think your build is going to be amazing. I believe it's even the same color! Add an oil and gas tank skid and assuming you're locked, you're ready for 90% of the trails in this state!

Neal5280 08-07-2013 03:05 AM

Cool there is one pretty close to me so early next week I'll go talk to them and pick em up. Looks like I can get a box of 10 for under 10$.

Yea I am excited for it, I will be working over the next year or so to build up everything to run 35's. Still need to figure out what I am going to do with the rear end/lockers since I have the turdy five. Not sure if I'll go with a 44 or an 8.8. After the belly up and oil and gas skids I'll be done till next year. Then I'll be doing either a 2" or 3" lift, SYE & CV DS, control arms all the way around, steering upgrade, breaks upgrade then 35's. I wish my wallet would cooperate so I could do it quicker!

Owen_TJ 08-07-2013 09:30 AM

You're going to need a sye and drive shaft to make that skid work (assuming you're putting it on now)...

Also, this may be dumb to ask, but do you have a body lift to run that skid?

BreckenridgeYJ 08-07-2013 01:16 PM

I've read that "supposedly" you can run that skid with the low profile mount with no body lift..... I've heard mixed responses as to its success.....

As for axles, watch for a built/geared set (hp30/44 or hp30/8.8 or 44/XXX)..... a lot of people are doing one ton conversions and you can get a locked/built set that are bolt in and already geared often in the 1200-2000 range. That's what I did on my previous jeep and it worked out great.

Owen_TJ 08-07-2013 04:01 PM

I'm pretty sure you arent able to run that skid without a body lift...thats the purpose for their "no body lift" high clearance skid.
I'm also 99% sure you need to run a SYE and CV shaft when doing a tummy tuck...i also think the rear upper adjustable control arms are mandatory but that part i could be wrong.

As for axles, yeah...that can get spensive but if you look around you can find a deal.

I converted mine to a rear 8.8, 4.88 gears, and chromoly shafts in the front 30 for $2000 out the door (parts/install included).

GSPup 08-07-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreckenridgeTJ (Post 4049187)
The belly up is going to be killer... Gspup one of the forum members runs a 2" budget boost on his tj with on (hi line tube fenders and 35's)... His jeep flat out works! LCG and looks killer. I think your build is going to be amazing. I believe it's even the same color! Add an oil and gas tank skid and assuming you're locked, you're ready for 90% of the trails in this state!

Ya I have this belly up kit. Love it. Thanks for the props andrew! And he is correct, the only difficult trails I haven't run are Carnage, Patriot and Indy,(those three trails are just nuts) and never been to the Junction trail system.

For me this is what worked on a 2" BB w/hiline fenders...Rear upper adjustable control arms, SYE and new driveshaft all with the ultra high clearance skid.

Now...I didn't want to deal with a motor mount lift so I knew I was going to need the upper adjustable control arms. It's my understanding you can get by without the adjustable arms if you get the MM lift and the lo-pro mount. Not sure how it will be without the SYE, but if you're running no lift I 'think' it can be done.

Your best bet is to call matt at UCF, he knows all the variables well. He had me tell him all the parts I had, he said it should be all good and it was.

GSPup 08-07-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal5280 (Post 4049223)
Yea I am excited for it, I will be working over the next year or so to build up everything to run 35's. Still need to figure out what I am going to do with the rear end/lockers since I have the turdy five. Not sure if I'll go with a 44 or an 8.8. After the belly up and oil and gas skids I'll be done till next year. Then I'll be doing either a 2" or 3" lift, SYE & CV DS, control arms all the way around, steering upgrade, breaks upgrade then 35's. I wish my wallet would cooperate so I could do it quicker!

Sounds like a good plan, same basic build as I'm doing. I haven't upgraded my brakes yet and they've been doing fine FYI. Steering upgrade is next on the list...or at least a tie rod upgrade if I take the cheap route for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreckenridgeTJ (Post 4050692)

I've read that "supposedly" you can run that skid with the low profile mount with no body lift..... I've heard mixed responses as to its success.....

Same here.

Neal5280 08-07-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen_TJ (Post 4049889)
You're going to need a sye and drive shaft to make that skid work (assuming you're putting it on now)...

Also, this may be dumb to ask, but do you have a body lift to run that skid?

I talked to Matt w/UCF and since I am with stock suspension any vibes I get should be taken care of with a 1" MML. SYE/DS & CA won't be needed until I do suspension work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen_TJ (Post 4051156)
I'm pretty sure you arent able to run that skid without a body lift...thats the purpose for their "no body lift" high clearance skid.
I'm also 99% sure you need to run a SYE and CV shaft when doing a tummy tuck...i also think the rear upper adjustable control arms are mandatory but that part i could be wrong.

As for axles, yeah...that can get spensive but if you look around you can find a deal.

I converted mine to a rear 8.8, 4.88 gears, and chromoly shafts in the front 30 for $2000 out the door (parts/install included).

From what I understand I won't need the body lift, we shall see. I most likely will be going with the same set up axle wise that you are but probably not till next summer ish :whistling:

Neal5280 08-07-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSPup (Post 4051540)
Ya I have this belly up kit. Love it. Thanks for the props andrew! And he is correct, the only difficult trails I haven't run are Carnage, Patriot and Indy,(those three trails are just nuts) and never been to the Junction trail system.

For me this is what worked on a 2" BB w/hiline fenders...Rear upper adjustable control arms, SYE and new driveshaft all with the ultra high clearance skid.

Now...I didn't want to deal with a motor mount lift so I knew I was going to need the upper adjustable control arms. It's my understanding you can get by without the adjustable arms if you get the MM lift and the lo-pro mount. Not sure how it will be without the SYE, but if you're running no lift I 'think' it can be done.

Your best bet is to call matt at UCF, he knows all the variables well. He had me tell him all the parts I had, he said it should be all good and it was.

Nice I am excited for it, just need to hit the trails more :) I talked with Matt at UCF and he addressed all of my concerns and because I am stock I shouldn't need the SYE/DS. If I do then it will be a forced upgrade and I won't have to deal with the wrath of the wife :thumb: You going to Jeeptober? I'd love to see your set up.

Neal5280 08-07-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSPup (Post 4051568)
Sounds like a good plan, same basic build as I'm doing. I haven't upgraded my brakes yet and they've been doing fine FYI. Steering upgrade is next on the list...or at least a tie rod upgrade if I take the cheap route for now.

That's good to know. I think I'll probably do the ZJ tie rod upgrade until I do my lift and we'll see after that.

Neal5280 08-07-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreckenridgeTJ (Post 4050692)

As for axles, watch for a built/geared set (hp30/44 or hp30/8.8 or 44/XXX)..... a lot of people are doing one ton conversions and you can get a locked/built set that are bolt in and already geared often in the 1200-2000 range. That's what I did on my previous jeep and it worked out great.

Yea just keeping my eye out and if something comes up and I can jump on it I will sooner than later. I need to do some research about lockers I don't know a ton about them. That's the nice thing about working nights it gives me research time :hide:

Owen_TJ 08-07-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal5280 (Post 4052550)
From what I understand I won't need the body lift, we shall see. I most likely will be going with the same set up axle wise that you are but probably not till next summer ish :whistling:

Well...lemme know how it goes...ucf skid and gas tank skid are next on my list but I ran out of money lol

In the last 3 weeks I've done:

35" tires
Iron rock steering system
4.88 gears
Chromoly front shafts
Ford 8.8 rear axle
4" front springs
Front extended brake lines
Adjustable upper control arms front and rear
Fixed lower control arms front and rear
Slip yoke eliminator
Adams cv shaft
Adjustable rear track bar
New trans mount

Umm, I think that's all lol...but ucf skid and gas tank skid are definitely next along with a Novak cable shifter

Neal5280 08-08-2013 12:34 AM

I will update this for sure once I see how it goes. Yea that is a good amount of work especially in a short time frame!

GSPup 08-08-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal5280 (Post 4052579)
Nice I am excited for it, just need to hit the trails more :) I talked with Matt at UCF and he addressed all of my concerns and because I am stock I shouldn't need the SYE/DS. If I do then it will be a forced upgrade and I won't have to deal with the wrath of the wife :thumb: You going to Jeeptober? I'd love to see your set up.

Nice, ya I think he would know what works better than any of us. Also If everything works out with your tummy tuck why bother lifting...grab some highline fenders and stuff some 35's under and call it a day. :punk:

It's a great way to get the axles higher up and not drop a fortune to get 35's. Keeps very good road manners without all the other hoopla involved with taller lifts. I'm a big proponent of lower center of gravity if it works for you. Don't worry too much about lockers just yet, I only have limited slip and am still deciding if they are what I want.

I am hoping to make jeeptober. I'll try to find a few pics worth posting for you this afternoon.

Sorry about the essay, just my 2 cents.

Neal5280 08-08-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSPup (Post 4054321)
Nice, ya I think he would know what works better than any of us. Also If everything works out with your tummy tuck why bother lifting...grab some highline fenders and stuff some 35's under and call it a day. :punk:

It's a great way to get the axles higher up and not drop a fortune to get 35's. Keeps very good road manners without all the other hoopla involved with taller lifts. I'm a big proponent of lower center of gravity if it works for you. Don't worry too much about lockers just yet, I only have limited slip and am still deciding if they are what I want.

I am hoping to make jeeptober. I'll try to find a few pics worth posting for you this afternoon.

Sorry about the essay, just my 2 cents.

Ok that's be awesome to see some pictures.

I am running metal cloaks up front now so that's taken care of, I was going to do the lift last depending how I like the 35s without a lift. I wan't to make sure that I am not limiting myself without the lift.

If I do end up doing the 8.8 then I'll probably do the locker at the same time. But I want to make sure that I have a selectable locker because of the horror stories of them in snow and on slick roads... It's my daily driver and I have to be able to drive it around town year round.

I am hoping that I'll have the new axle and steering upgraded by next spring so I can have a great summer next year :punk:

Neal5280 08-08-2013 09:11 PM

Also did you have to do any trimming to the rear wheel openings for the 35s? In just looking it seems like it will be a pretty tight fit.

Justin04Lj 08-08-2013 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my Lj with 35s and the 3.5 rock krawler x factor. I took my bushwhacker fender flares off cuz they rubbed alot. The rear still rubs at full flex but I dont have bump stops yet :-)

Attachment 283558

Justin04Lj 08-08-2013 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a closer one.

Attachment 283559

Neal5280 08-08-2013 10:03 PM

Cool I should update my avatar I am not running any flares front or rear but without a lift it just seems like I'll need to do some trimming for 35s....

Sinister6 08-08-2013 10:05 PM

Looks good Justin! :thumb:

Owen_TJ 08-08-2013 10:19 PM

Not sure if this will help you in any way but here's a quick pic of my 99 on 35s

The only things missing in the pic are:

Iron rock steering system
4.88 gears
Chromoly front shafts
Ford 8.8 rear axle
4" front springs
Front extended brake lines
Adjustable upper control arms front and rear
Fixed lower control arms front and rear
Slip yoke eliminator
Adams cv shaft
Adjustable rear track bar
New trans mount

I'll get some better pics up after next week when the control arms and slip yoke are put in but yeah, you get the idea...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...n_SVT/35s1.jpg

Justin04Lj 08-08-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 4057016)
Looks good Justin! :thumb:

Thanks buddy.

Neal5280 08-09-2013 02:23 AM

Love it! I wish I would have held out for an LJ but doesn't change how much I love my TJ :punk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin04Lj (Post 4056946)
Here's a closer one.

Attachment 283559

Neal5280 08-09-2013 05:35 AM

Just got the shipping notification so I should have everything mid next week. I'll probably shoot to install a week from Saturday. I think I'll start the PB Blasting when I get home this morning and soak the frame bolts everyday to make my life easier.

BreckenridgeYJ 08-09-2013 05:43 AM

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...-8-8-rear.html

Uh oh ;)