Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   TJ Seat Risers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tj-seat-risers-262182.html)

Zarranz 08-11-2013 05:47 PM

TJ Seat Risers
 
4 Attachment(s)
After struggling with the position of the fire extinguisher and flashlight and hearing complaints from the wife about the seats being too low I decided to install seat risers. I got the kit from Rough Country Suspension Systems and easily installed them. It was easy and solved the extinguisher problems. Wife loved the higher seat ..BUT WAIT!!! The first time we moved the passenger seat forward for a rear seat rider the seat flew into the windshield shattering it. So much for an easy fix.

XXtexasrubi 08-11-2013 05:52 PM

ouch!!! Im looking at doing the same thing to mine. Im 6' 2" and wife is 6' 4" so we need all the leg room we can get.

JeepersDave 08-11-2013 09:58 PM

I'm 6'7" and the better half is right at 6'0". I installed Misch Big Boy Brackets and am completely comfortable with my clutch leg able to be straight out. These brackets move the seat back 4", all the way back to the front if the rear seat. They aren't cheap, but they do solve the legroom problem. I do have an extra set from another TJ I had if you're interested.

scot68 08-12-2013 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep been there done that!!! I learned that the hard way, I have 1.5" seat risers that allow the seat to clear the dash. :banghead:

thgr8alex 08-12-2013 01:09 AM

Wow im glad i have a 98 with factory seats higher than the newer tjs. Never knew of this issue until now. Ill make sure my buddy with an 06 lj doesnt buy these.

Neil F. 08-12-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 4068267)
Wow im glad i have a 98 with factory seats higher than the newer tjs. Never knew of this issue until now. Ill make sure my buddy with an 06 lj doesnt buy these.

(Note the OP has a 97-02) Yea seen post for proken winshields before. Like above mentioned, the Big Boy brackets are great.

scot68 08-12-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 4068267)
Wow im glad i have a 98 with factory seats higher than the newer tjs. Never knew of this issue until now. Ill make sure my buddy with an 06 lj doesnt buy these.

The seat risers improve leg room and increase visibility which is why I installed them. It was my fault I didn't consider the pass seat contacting the windshield.
Don't tell your friend not to buy them, just let him know he can't throw the pass seat forward to hard. :thumb:

thgr8alex 08-12-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scot68 (Post 4069084)

The seat risers improve leg room and increase visibility which is why I installed them. It was my fault I didn't consider the pass seat contacting the windshield.
Don't tell your friend not to buy them, just let him know he can't throw the pass seat forward to hard. :thumb:

Haha true. Hes 6'4' and hasnt complained about leg room yet. Haha so were good. But hes a little clumsy so maybe the seat relocater along with the seat risers would be better for him but like i said he hasnt complained about it so all is good for now

Malfunction 08-12-2013 11:20 AM

I have 1 3/4 risers on mine and I'm 6'2. My roll cage runs across the top of the dashboard, couldn't see the front of the jeep at all without the risers.

Zarranz 08-12-2013 11:46 AM

Passenger seat was not thrown too hard in my case. My ten year old daughter gently pushed the seat forward to exit from the rear seat. Rough Country Suspension Systems has already contacted me this morning and are very concerned and realize this is a product liability issue. Just because you make a modification using a product sold for that purpose should not jeopardize the normal intended function of that product. (Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and do not play one on TV on the net.)

j_strength 08-12-2013 05:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
wow i took the easy way out, just used some washers laying around and picked up some bolts at home depot. raised it about an inch and no problem with the passenger seat hitting the windshield.

scot68 08-12-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_strength (Post 4070128)
wow i took the easy way out, just used some washers laying around and picked up some bolts at home depot. raised it about an inch and no problem with the passenger seat hitting the windshield.

I hope they were Grade 8..

j_strength 08-12-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scot68 (Post 4070503)
I hope they were Grade 8..

I believe so, i asked the home depot employee for the strongest bolts he got the size of the original but just longer and he gave me some.

scot68 08-13-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_strength (Post 4070712)
I believe so, i asked the home depot employee for the strongest bolts he got the size of the original but just bigger and he gave me some.

I wouldn't trust your safety to an Home Depot employee. Check the bolt heads, if they are Grade 8 you should see 6 radial lines or hash marks on the top of the bolt head. 3 lines usally indicates Grade 5. It may not seem important but in a collision inferior hardware could fail allowing the seats to separate from the tub. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable using washers as spacers, because they are multiple separate pieces stacked (as opposed to a block) they could allow additional lateral load on the bolt in a collision.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.

j_strength 08-13-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scot68 (Post 4071502)
I wouldn't trust your safety to an Home Depot employee. Check the bolt heads, if they are Grade 8 you should see 6 radial lines or hash marks on the top of the bolt head. 3 lines usally indicates Grade 5. It may not seem important but in a collision inferior hardware could fail allowing the seats to separate from the tub. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable using washers as spacers, because they are multiple separate pieces stacked (as opposed to a block) they could allow additional lateral load on the bolt in a collision.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Thank you for your concern. I really appreciate it and I'll definitely be looking into this.

bhamtyme 05-15-2014 11:55 PM

Installed 1.5" aluminum seat risers this evening. Love the extra view and leg room.

Jeep Wrangler TJ 1997-2006 1.5" Seat Riser (Seat Spacer, Seat Lift) Ki – Frameshaker Products

Easy 30 minute install.

jawkDNA 05-16-2014 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhamtyme (Post 10660642)
Installed 1.5" aluminum seat risers this evening. Love the extra view and leg room.

Jeep Wrangler TJ 1997-2006 1.5" Seat Riser (Seat Spacer, Seat Lift) Ki – Frameshaker Products

Easy 30 minute install.

Does the passenger seat touch the windshield with the 1.5" risers from FrameShaker?

bschurr 05-16-2014 01:49 PM

I installed the Buchanan seat risers - they come complete with grade 8 hardware.

My passenger seat first slides forward before it folds so the top of the seat hits the windshield header not the actual windshield.

JGreen06TJ 05-16-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bschurr (Post 10673674)
My passenger seat first slides forward before it folds so the top of the seat hits the windshield header not the actual windshield.

I have the Rough Country seat risers mentioned above (06TJ) and my seat hits the windshield header as well, not the actual windshield. I'm 6'0" and these seat risers made a big improvement in trail visibility.

bhamtyme 05-18-2014 03:23 PM

The passenger seat on my 2005 actually hits the header above the windshield with the 1.5" risers from Frameshaker. I have the rear seat removed and my only backseat passenger is my bird dog. Since I had read there may be a problem with hitting the windshield, I was gentle pulling seats forward the first time to see if an issue. Thankfully I'm good to go.

NoBoat0429 05-18-2014 03:26 PM

Just got the 1.5" spacers from supreme suspensions on Amazon for 59.99 for my 03 Sahara. I will post my results.

Sehnsucht 07-20-2014 06:37 PM

I'm considering these. What were your results?

NoBoat0429 07-20-2014 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sehnsucht (Post 12095586)
I'm considering these. What were your results?

Sorry and thank you for reminding me to follow up. I only used the driver side, as my wife was not interested in me modding her seat. It installed in about 30-40 minutes and made a HUGE difference in my view and comfort level. I used to have a 2000 TJ, so when I bought my 03 pretty much without even me sitting in it, the last thing I would have thought was that jeep would lower the seats. This mod was well worth it. As for the passenger side...even though i did not install them, i would say either skip it because of the previous entries with the broken windshield or do a shorter lift on the passenger seat. Imo, the hard leather piping on that seat contributed to the broken glass, and those specific seats are not terrible common, so this problem could be VERY model specific.

Suprarob 07-22-2014 05:34 PM

Would the passenger seat contact a 2004 Sahara windshield with 1 1/2" risers? Whats the line of demarcation? Maybe 1"?

MOTJ 07-22-2014 07:53 PM

I have 1 risers under the seats in my 05 and dont have this problem.

Doc_H 07-22-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtexasrubi (Post 4066951)
ouch!!! Im looking at doing the same thing to mine. Im 6' 2" and wife is 6' 4" so we need all the leg room we can get.

holy shit :jawdrop:

xigiff 08-07-2014 10:35 PM

I just put my 1 1/4 on yesterday. So far, they haven't had a problem. Really liking them. Got them from Fat Bob's Garage.

lynn 08-08-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTJ (Post 12142553)
I have 1 risers under the seats in my 05 and dont have this problem.

Same here.
Made mine from aluminum bar per this thread:


Seat spacers - JeepForum.com

Jeffreybomb 08-08-2014 05:26 PM

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be an ass, but that made me laugh. It sucks, I know, but it's kind of funny. Flame away.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. I'm thinking about doing risers for my TJ, too.

peter46f3 08-16-2014 12:05 PM

Installed 1-1/2" seat risers from Buchanan (purchased at 4wheelparts) today and the passenger seat slides forward until it contacts the windshield header. No contact is made with the glass.

Kind of wish I went with the 1" because my leg hits the steering wheel now when I enter the vehicle, but I wonder if the 1" would allow enough clearance so the headrest hits the glass. I'm 6'3".


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.