Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Yes....another wheel / tire question.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/yes-another-wheel-tire-question-262440.html)

ed0985587 08-12-2013 10:14 PM

Yes....another wheel / tire question..
 
Trading in my '12 JKU Sport on Wednesday for a '14 JKUS. I left my '12 all stock, but on the new one I want to pull the trigger on wheels and tires and a 2.5" lift when it arrives.

My dilemma is that I love the look of the 18" wheels, but the common response I've read is to go with 17's for more sidewall.

These are the wheels I want matched with some 35 Pro Comp MT tires:
Fuel Wheels Part mhtd51317905550 - D513 Throttle, 17x9 with 7 on 150 Bolt Pattern - Matte Black Milled

Fuel says the backspacing on both the 17 and 18 rim is 5".

A little info on my intentions:

This is of course my main vehicle. I am not going to rock climb with it, however I do camp a lot in the summer and fall and will take it on trails etc. Nothing major. I also pull an 18' ski boat to the lake during summer months.

Would I really NEED the extra rubber I'd get with a 17 for my purpose, or would the 18's and 35s be fully capable for all purpose?

Also as far as wheel width...17/18x9 or 17/18x10?

ESP 08-12-2013 10:30 PM

I'd go with 17s out of those two but get what you want. :thumb:

terrabit 08-12-2013 10:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the Cranks but they are a bit more difficult to air up due to the location of the stem.

ed0985587 08-12-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrabit (Post 4070995)
I got the Cranks but they are a bit more difficult to air up due to the location of the stem.

The Kranks were the other wheels I looked at. Thanks for posting pics btw! Those are 17x9 I assume? How much of a lift do you have? Are those also 5" backspace? Trying to get a good idea of how tje 17s look with tires before I make a final decision.

terrabit 08-12-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed0985587 (Post 4071115)

The Kranks were the other wheels I looked at. Thanks for posting pics btw! Those are 17x9 I assume? How much of a lift do you have? Are those also 5" backspace? Trying to get a good idea of how tje 17s look with tires before I make a final decision.

I didn't measure before and after so I'm not sure what I ended up with. It's a 2.5" TF coil lift. Yes, 17x9. I think it was 12mm off center, supposed to be 4.5" backspace. You do not want more than 4.5". The whole point is to create more room for the larger tires. Greater backspace means less room for tires and steering/suspension components.

ed0985587 08-13-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrabit (Post 4071138)
I didn't measure before and after so I'm not sure what I ended up with. It's a 2.5" TF coil lift. Yes, 17x9. I think it was 12mm off center, supposed to be 4.5" backspace. You do not want more than 4.5". The whole point is to create more room for the larger tires. Greater backspace means less room for tires and steering/suspension components.

Crap...that's not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the tip. I may have to look at a different wheel :(

ed0985587 08-13-2013 12:35 AM

Or I guess I would have to go with wheel spacers if I wanted to do the 5" backspacing? The guy ar my local 4wheel place said they won't rub but can never really believe anything from a salesman.

ed0985587 08-13-2013 12:40 AM

Actually it shows a wheel available in 17x9 5x5 lug with 4.5" bs and -12mm offset. Wonder if they are actually available. Thay would be awesome. I think the 17s are the way to go from all I've read so I'll probably shoot for those. Appreciate the responses and pics.

http://www.fueloffroad.com/specs.cfm?id=2566

terrabit 08-13-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed0985587 (Post 4071449)
Actually it shows a wheel available in 17x9 5x5 lug with 4.5" bs and -12mm offset. Wonder if they are actually available. Thay would be awesome. I think the 17s are the way to go from all I've read so I'll probably shoot for those. Appreciate the responses and pics.

D513 THROTTLE 1PC Specs

Shoot them an email and ask. I've done lots of that sort of thing. As far as the backspace goes, it depends on the tires you want to run. For 35x12.5.17s you'll want no more than 4.5" of backspace. You can adjust the stops but that degrades your turning radius.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.