Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Utah, teach me.

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Mavrick243 
#1 ·
Utah, I've had it with California, in particular southern California. I was born and raised but the taxes, over regulation, handouts, red carpet for illegal immigrants, crime, and gun laws, I've had it. There is legislation on the docket that will likely get signed making my 10/22 an assault rifle. Moving out has been in the thought process for a while but all this, coupled with my wife's difficulty finding a job in the healthcare industry, it may be time to split. Nice weather only gets you so far.

Were both in our thirties, I'm a professional BMW grease monkey, she is a registered respiratory therapist. No children, not religious, we do like good food and drinks (liquor laws?). She is a home body, and I like shooting, outdoors, wheeling, and tinkering. No worries of Prius driving, solar powered toaster owning, Tofu eating, raise your taxes liberal voting, social handout giving, you don't need guns California types here!

What I like:
Awesome places to wheel
Utah seems to have its head screwed on financially and politically.
Lower cost of living (I'm sure wages compensate for this as well)
beautiful scenery\awesome places to wheel
I wants my 20 acres and a mule.... or just a decent house in a nice neighborhood with a 3 car and a nice yard.....
Lower state taxes on income
awesome places to wheel

What I worry of
Adjusting to a smaller environment/not as populous or without a multitude of things to do
Snow, snow, snow I have driven on it a few times but mostly seen pictures, the wife has just seen pictures.
Mormons. We're not religious, don't care to be, don't care if you believe in Jesus, Buddha, or the flying spaghetti monster (google it). I worked for a family of Mormons once. Super nice, big into family. My understanding is though if you aren't Mormon, you are a second class citizen. Truth or trumped up myth?

Any advice, tips, thoughts, etc are welcomed! Anybody else do this similar? I saw a few threads but figured I would make my own specific thread. Thanks again all.
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
We moved to Utah last year and we are not LDS so I can provide a good outsiders view of Utah.

Pro's

One of the best outdoor states
Endless places to wheel and Colorado is only a few hours away
Decent cost of living - especially compared to Cali
Good job market - including lots of healthcare positions
Sundays are awesome. Its the best day to go shopping, catch a movie, or hit the trails.
Utility rates and taxes are lower

Con's

Lots of state/church driven rules. The liquor laws are simply insane. Zion curtain - seriously?

Wages are typically on the lower side

Much smaller city than most so there is a lot less to do for entertainment.

Snow and lots of it. Last winter it snowed in early December and between the snow and the cold we didn't see our lawn again until February.

A lot of the mormon people make a real effort to distance themselves from non mormon people. Its really not so much as being treated like second class its more about simply being ignored. Like you mentioned most mormons are good people and are very family oriented but the family next door is non LDS and their two kids only play with the one other non LDS kid in the neighborhood so the separation would be a lot harder on your kids if you have them.

For a state that screams and yells about freedoms there is a large portion of the population that believes it is okay to try and take away your rights if it doesn't fit into their beliefs. The local NBC station (LDS Owned) wont air certain shows because enough of the moral police have complained so they pul the shows. They honestly cover the front of magazines in grocery stores just in case something might be revealing. The have also made it almost impossible to find/buy cigars here. Liquor is sold at the State Liquor stores so if they decide not to carry something you cant get it. Fat Tire beer for example.

Tips

Do a lot of investigation on the neighborhood you choose. Places like the Ave's in Salt Lake City is more diverse where as places like Provo and Orem are not.

The track/train system here is fantastic so if you choose to find a place close to the main N-S frontrunner track you can get just about anywhere on the train system.

Take advantage of the outdoors for 8 months out of the year especially since the winters are little longer here.

The winters make for a whole new type of fun with the jeep.

#3 ·
You'll find there's a wide range of Mormons here, those that are stuck up and controlling that you wouldn't want to hang out with (the few and the loud), and those that will be cool with you and be friendly (the rest). My friends drink and I don't, as I'm Mormon, they don't try to get me to drink, and I don't give them a hard time about drinking. I'm usually their designated driver, which means they all get to drink and get home safe so we're all happy.

The only people who are second class citizens around here are Sporting Kansas City fans. :thumb: (Colorado Rapids fans are not even considered citizens...) I wouldn't recommend wearing a Lakers jersey around here either... :D

#4 ·
Utah is great. Too many of you ex-Californians, though, if you ask me. (LOL) Actually, you sound like a cool one......Come on out. Don't worry about the Mormons or the liqour laws. They aren't as bad as Southern Baptists or "Dry Counties". You can get a drink when you want one, most of the time. (Wal*Mart sells cold beer and room temperature soft drinks......Go figure.)

Housing will be cheaper, utilities will be cheaper, and the drivers will be worse. But, you will adapt.

#22 ·
I agree 100% with this one , I am originally from Baltimore and had drive on 495 for work every day the drivers here are nuts !

I am not a native Utahn, I am not LDS, However my Wife and her Family are LDS. When I first moved here I was under the impression that if I was not LDS I would be shunned. Boy was I wrong, Most of my friends and wheeling buddies are LDS and always more then willing to help out. Most of them do not drink alcohol but they do not tell you not to do it either. Out of respect if someone other then family whom is of LDS faith I wont drink around them out of respect.

#6 ·
I definitely should have included bad drivers in my con list. It is impressive just how bad some of them are.

Qurty, I was at the last game so I can understand why RSL fans are a little sore. I do cheer for RSL when they aren't playing Sporting so maybe one day I will be accepted. Wait a second, I thought people here weren't talking to me because I wasn't LDS and all this time it could be because of my Sporting stickers and clothes? :)

#8 ·
I'm not sore about the last game because of SKC, I'm pissed at the league for sending an inexperienced ref to that game. I actually like SKC and their playstyle, but them and RSL have a bit of a history.

At least you're not a Sounders, Galaxy, Red Bulls or cRapids fan though.

And yes, we have the worst drivers. You'll want some big nerf bars to keep the lunatics off your tires.

#9 ·
Lakers? I'm a Laker hater. Hahaha rapist Kobe.

Our drivers here are horrible AND they have no insurance.

No worries on me bringing"California ways" with me. You guys have decent mexican food though? An don't say El Torito.....

Gun laws fairly lax?

I think the wife and I may have to make a weekend trip.

#11 ·
If it's GOOD Mexican food you want, stay in LA. You can find some decent food, but certainly not the best. I grew up in LA and moved here from the SF Bay Area. I really thought it would be a cool adventure to move where there is snow, as I enjoy skiing, but living in it gets old real quick. It's doable, and even awesome at times, but not great all the time. But I have a bunch of friends that love the winters here...so who am I to say.

As other people have said, it's a pretty nice place to live. Based on your comments, the political climate here is closer to your way of thinking. Gun laws are much more reasonable than Cali.

Other things:
- we have traffic (or so they tell me!) but it doesn't compare!
- lots of things to do outdoors
- lots of fast food - everywhere - fewer really good restaurants - but some really good ones...
- economy seems to be turning around pretty quickly...lots of new home construction and homes are selling
- small market mentality - news reports can be kind of funny compared to what you are used to...you can either accept it and appreciate it or it'll drive you nuts...I'm still somewhere in the middle :)
- not sure how big of deal the whole Mormon thing is...what I see is more around those who have lived here their whole lives (raised here), vs those people who have lived elsewhere...gives people a different perspective...and yes Mormons are super family oriented which is great, but even if you're Mormon and don't have family around you can feel like an outcast - though I don't think it's intended, they just hang with their family...

That's my 2 cents...

Good luck!
-

#14 ·
I'm a transplant from NJ but I moved to the St George area. We've been here 8 years and trust me that my area is different than SLC. We're less urban, more red neck, strongly Mormon (I'm not). To me SLC is just another big city with big city problems, traffic and crime. Probably better jobs in SLC but we have a growing need for folks like your wife, not sure about mechanics. Utah does have great outdoors and the gun laws are reasonable.

Food in the area is a crap shoot, luckily we live close to Zion National Park and there are good restaurants, I've pretty much written off St George for food.

We have not been too bothered by the missionaries, we say "Not interested" once a year and they're gone. Initially we got invited to church social events in town but when we showed no interest in the LDS that stopped. My best friend in the neighborhood is a devout Mormon and we get along great.

Good luck making a decision.

Win

#17 ·
Do they salt the roads? I don't want a rust bucket jeep and I'm fairly set in my ways. I work on a 20 year old BMW and it comes apart like the day they put it together.... I have had some rusty bugs and a REALLY rusty K5 Blazer that still gives me nightmares of an oxy torch, easy outs, drill bits, cut off wheels and air hammers.

#18 ·
The do salt the roads here so the surface rust sucks because of it but the rust can be managed if you stay on top of it.

Another pro to add to the list is Teraflex is in SLC. They are a great shop and are all a great bunch of guy except for that one new guy they hired. Seriously why would any man wear an I love Bieber shirt to the shop?

#20 ·
Lots of great pros already listed. Kevin pretty much nailed most of them. Although I am a native Utahn and never lived anywhere else, I do work/interact with a lot of out of state vendors/corporate people and when we get into conversations about outdoor activities many are amazed at what Utah has to offer.

Although I am LDS (don't want to scare anyone away), the churches influence in Utah is broad. Many people go through there day to day activities blind because they cannot think for themselves. They must be told how to live by someone else. I don't understand that and when in a conversation with these people most can only bring up the "churches" side rather than have an opinion of their own.

Put that aside Utah is a great place to live. I am glad you mentioned that you didn't drive a Prius or I would tell you to stay where you are at.:happyyes:

The only real drawback I have come to accept over the years is the freakin' snow. I used to love it when we snowmobiled but I have found over the years, the older I get the more I dislike winter in Utah. The road grime flat sucks but then again I may be a little on the anal side of keeping my shit clean. When a storm hits I try to get that crap off as soon as possible. I won't even drive my Duramax in the winter if the roads have any moisture at all on them.

Mike.

#21 ·
We moved to Saint George 16 years ago and never looked back. Don't focus all your attention up north.........southwest utah has lots to offer.
We are not LDS and have a few friends who are.....TOTALY agree with Sundays......best day to get chores done and running around handled.
Born and raised in the OC.....left for the same reasons as you, and I completely hate to return for visits......There is NO SMOG down here, (unlike up north) lol

#23 ·
What I like:
Awesome places to wheel
Utah seems to have its head screwed on financially and politically.
Lower cost of living (I'm sure wages compensate for this as well)
beautiful scenery\awesome places to wheel
I wants my 20 acres and a mule.... or just a decent house in a nice neighborhood with a 3 car and a nice yard.....
Lower state taxes on income
awesome places to wheel
That's all good and well, but do you like to go 'wheeling in awesome places? If so, Utah is definitely for you!

What I worry of

Snow, snow, snow I have driven on it a few times but mostly seen pictures, the wife has just seen pictures.
This would definitely take some adjustment, but it's not the end of the world.

Take advantage of the outdoors for 8 months out of the year especially since the winters are little longer here.

The winters make for a whole new type of fun with the jeep.
There is no reason you can't play in your Jeep year round. One of the local 4x4 clubs (not Jeep specific; they're a "non-denominational" group) goes on an annual New Year's Day run ("First Tracks") of the snakes, which are some local trails. Even the buggy guys with no top and no heater will show up:

Long story short, we dedicated Jeepers don't let a little snow keep us from having fun... and neither should you.

Also, these guys say the gun laws are ok, but I would think they rate up there with Texas. I would call them very good.
x2.

Do they salt the roads?
Sometimes they use salt; other times they use sand. Even still, automobile rust is nowhere near as bad here as it is out east (where I grew up).

#24 ·
In an effort to make winters more liveable I bought a snowmobile this last December and I really enjoyed the winter months!

#27 ·
We had snowmobiles for the past 18+ years of marriage and finally sold them about three/four years ago. We were running turbos and NOS, all custom machines and I got tired of heading up on the mountain for a Saturday ride with the family and ending up working on everyone else's machines because they treated their machines more like a lawnmower than a race engine/machine. Now I just lock myself in the shop and work during the winter months waiting for Jeeping and Harley riding weather.

I'm from So-cal as well (still here) Getting ready to move to SLC as I got accepted into U of U. So I should be moving out to SLC in july hopefully, the girlfriend is already there. been out to SLC a couple times and really liked it.

And I'm with you Socal-JK! Way to many laws and restrictions out here, can't wait to get out of cali!

So how about Jeep clubs or runs is there many out there I've noticed that the utah side of this forum seems kind of quiet, especially for how much wheeling is supposed to be out there. Is there a secret utah forum that everyone uses? haha
Not "technically" a club but we have a Utah chapter of Jeeps that try to hit the trails at least once a month on a trail run and multiple trips to Moab and/or SW Colorado for wheelin each year.

Mike.

#26 ·
I'm from So-cal as well (still here) Getting ready to move to SLC as I got accepted into U of U. So I should be moving out to SLC in july hopefully, the girlfriend is already there. been out to SLC a couple times and really liked it.

And I'm with you Socal-JK! Way to many laws and restrictions out here, can't wait to get out of cali!

So how about Jeep clubs or runs is there many out there I've noticed that the utah side of this forum seems kind of quiet, especially for how much wheeling is supposed to be out there. Is there a secret utah forum that everyone uses? haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.