Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Hard Top With Half Doors ??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/hard-top-with-half-doors-262463.html)

vertical horizons 08-13-2013 12:00 AM

Hard Top With Half Doors ???
 
i don't remember ever seeing a TJ with a hard top AND HALF-DOORS.
I'm sure that they are out there, but I just haven't seen one yet.
I always see them with a hard top and the full metal doors.

If you have one, please post a few pictures.

Since the hard top costs more than a soft top, I'm looking to buy my 1st TJ with a hard top already on it, and get a bikini top shortly after. But, i want to run half doors, instead of full doors.

Pictures, please?

MarkGLHS 08-13-2013 02:31 AM

having a hard top and 1/2 doors on a wrangler at the same time seems possible, but, that would be like wearing your swimming trunks and a ski cap at the same time...possible, but just not right.

concon52 08-13-2013 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm working on getting full doors but the jeep came with a soft top and half doors when I bought it.

R u s s 08-13-2013 05:06 AM

[QUOTE="MarkGLHS;4071682"]that would be like wearing your swimming trunks and a ski cap at the same time.[/QUOTe

I do it all the time.... But then again I'm Norwegian by blood. Lol

Gixxer86g 08-13-2013 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Jeep came from the factory with only a soft top and half doors. The previous owner put on a hard top. I still have the sliding uppers, but I sold the hard top. I may put the sliders on for winter.

SurfKaster 08-13-2013 06:51 AM

I've had just about all flavors. Here's a pic with hard uppers, but also ran with soft uppers. I too initially wanted a jeep with a hardtop, but ended up selling it.

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/q...4/IMG_3194.jpg
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/q...4/_5067888.jpg

wwch99tj 08-13-2013 08:01 AM

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...9982687085.jpg
Here's one before I painted the upper black
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...9825515358.jpg

TJZ 08-13-2013 09:02 AM

So, what's involved with putting a Hard Top on a TJ that came with a Soft Top ? I have a Soft Top with Half Doors and was thinking of getting a Hard Top as well. I've never seen Hard Upper doors either before. That's kinda cool.

Neil F. 08-13-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJZ (Post 4072304)
So, what's involved with putting a Hard Top on a TJ that came with a Soft Top ? I have a Soft Top with Half Doors and was thinking of getting a Hard Top as well. I've never seen Hard Upper doors either before. That's kinda cool.

Nothing mutch is involved. Remove the soft top frame at the roll bar connection (4 screws) and the door surrounds. The hard top attaches to the tub with 6 bolts and it has latches for the windshield .

vertical horizons 08-13-2013 10:00 AM

Wwch99tj -

Now that's pretty cool.

I'm glad you changed it to BLACK. It's a drastic improvement.
I knew someone out there had to have that setup. I couldn't be the ONLY one liking that arrangement.

Thanks for posting the pics.

vertical horizons 08-13-2013 10:01 AM

If you have any pictures showing it with the uppers removed, could you post them, as well?
Thanks.

wwch99tj 08-13-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertical horizons (Post 4072534)
Wwch99tj -

Now that's pretty cool.

I'm glad you changed it to BLACK. It's a drastic improvement.
I knew someone out there had to have that setup. I couldn't be the ONLY one liking that arrangement.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks :thumb:
I don't have any pics with the hardtop on and the upper off... plenty with the soft top up and upper out tho.

kcchiefs00 08-13-2013 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here mine before I peeled the wrap off.

TJZ 08-13-2013 02:24 PM

So they do make hard upper doors for the half door ? And the regular soft uppers will work with a hard top as well ? Post some pics off these hard upper doors if you have them please. Hard to see in that one pic above.

Rubi513 08-13-2013 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 285426

Rubi513 08-13-2013 02:34 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how do you guys with the hard uppers like them?

wwch99tj 08-13-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 4073590)
Not trying to hijack the thread, but how do you guys with the hard uppers like them?

I have the (Bestop) fabric with the sliding windows and I love them I have 2 sets and run them year round, I like the most because I could easily tint them.

slacker05 08-13-2013 02:50 PM

love mine. easy to see thru since it's glass and not plastic (vinyl).

wwch99tj - what prep and what type of paint did you use on your sliders? i'm in the exact same situation and hating spice.

wwch99tj 08-13-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slacker05 (Post 4073643)
love mine. easy to see thru since it's glass and not plastic (vinyl).

wwch99tj - what prep and what type of paint did you use on your sliders? i'm in the exact same situation and hating spice.

I used duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint flat black
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...2291998837.jpg
I didnt do anything for prep except tape up the window inside and out.
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...1164688636.jpg

Neil F. 08-13-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJZ (Post 4073548)
So they do make hard upper doors for the half door ? And the regular soft uppers will work with a hard top as well ? Post some pics off these hard upper doors if you have them please. Hard to see in that one pic above.

The upper hard and soft are interchangeable.

All doors work with the hard top. The upper portions are the same shape.

There are several manufactuers of the hard uppers. Bestop, Bulldawg and others. From post I have read, the actual window opening is very small on some (or all)

SurfKaster 08-13-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 4073590)
Not trying to hijack the thread, but how do you guys with the hard uppers like them?

IMO they were too heavy & a pain to install/remove. I like the fabric sliders much better even though they hang in the garage 95% of the time. They're considerably lighter & install the same way as soft uppers. The hard shell sliders needed an anchor & bolt to secure to the door.

BTW, all sliders seem to leak in heavy rain. Average rain you won't notice, but a tropical storm will wet your arm.

slacker05 08-13-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwch99tj (Post 4073664)
I used duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint flat black
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...2291998837.jpg
I didnt do anything for prep except tape up the window inside and out.
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...1164688636.jpg

Awesome, thank you for the info! How's it holding up?

wwch99tj 08-13-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slacker05 (Post 4074051)

Awesome, thank you for the info! How's it holding up?

They held up fine last winter (Nov-Mar) with the salted roads in all, they still look like they did when I first I painted them.
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psf9048294.jpg
I only use them the colder months
I have a second set that matches my soft top http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psaf0bf921.jpg

AlohaJay 08-14-2013 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres mine. Trying to find full doors or hard upper halfs

slacker05 08-15-2013 05:56 PM

wwch99tj- one last question. were the sliders you painted originally another color other than black? or were they black and you just refreshed them?

wwch99tj 08-15-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slacker05 (Post 4082781)
wwch99tj- one last question. were the sliders you painted originally another color other than black? or were they black and you just refreshed them?

They were dark tan
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...0441923264.jpg

slacker05 08-15-2013 09:53 PM

damn fine work sir.

wwch99tj 08-16-2013 05:42 AM

Thanks :thumb:

billydales_9 09-30-2013 06:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's mine! Just picked up the top last last weekend, this is a test fit. Wasn't going to even get a Hardtop but the deal was too good to pass on. Besides a few faded areas and a scratch or two it's in great condition. If I don't like it I will move it to the next Jeeper... no shortage of demand for these tops around my way. Prepping it now for a new coat of dark tan. Not really too worried about getting exact match in the colors. Love the half doors for summer, wouldn't think of getting full doors unless they fell in my lap for a couple hundred bucks in Stone White. The fit is nice and snug...

billydales_9 09-30-2013 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Half doors also look REALLY NICE with no top!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.