Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Body Lift? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/body-lift-2625.html)

WranglerHawg 08-15-2006 09:01 AM

Body Lift?

Just wondering why so many people dislike body lifts. My buddy and I were talking about this the other night, and besides the fact of the obvious you can see the frame under the body answer, whats the reason? Heres my take on it...See, we live in Florida, there is no hills, no rocks, only two things, mud and water. Where you guys try to get the biggest tires possible, with the smallest amount of lift, for those off camber trails, you would shy away from something like a bodylift. The higher center of gravity without actually gaining and flex must mess you guys up. Eventually i plan to run 38s with about 10 or 11 inches of lift. Even though i could probably run them with only 8 or 9 inches of lift. My only concern, (since i know i wont be tipping over on any crazy mountainous terrain,) I want to get my ass way up in the air, get some big meats, and get my pumkins as high as possible. So just wondering...is that the reason for the hating on body lifts? :cool:

mrbigjeep 08-15-2006 09:02 AM

have you ever heard of the body coming off the frame? :)

stainless 08-15-2006 09:09 AM

You named most of the reasons why I don't do body lifts.
They also put more stress on the points where the body bolts to the frame.

As far as your application, I don't see where a body lift would hurt your performance. The biggest benefit you'd see with a suspension lift would be to get your frame up out of the muck higher. Skidplates will slide over some of the more solid mud that we have in GA, but act like parachutes in water and in that black swamp mud that yall have in FL.

WranglerHawg 08-15-2006 09:12 AM

Hey stainless, where in GA do you live, and what is the terrain like?

WranglerHawg 08-15-2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep
have you ever heard of the body coming off the frame? :)

Never heard of that happening, but i can tell you if it did, it would scare the absolute crap out of me. :eek:

mrbigjeep 08-15-2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WranglerHawg
Never heard of that happening, but i can tell you if it did, it would scare the absolute crap out of me. :eek:

lol yeah me too

stainless 08-15-2006 09:28 AM

I'm in Newnan. Terrain here is mostly red clay, kinda flat, some hills, but there is a MASSIVE granite outcropping about 5 minutes from my house where we go every now and then.
I like it because you go there and you have everything. Gravel roads, dirt roads, dirt 2 track, trails through the woods, mud puddles, mud holes, bottomless pits, rocks, hills, creek crossings, and when it rains there are lots of places where water pools on the rocks to make some awesome water holes with solid granite at the bottom for traction.

However, its on GA Power Property and they are tired of those few people trashing it and abusing the privilage. I've actually gone through their procurement department and gotten a letter that I used to keep with me all the time. Its basically my hall pass to wheel there with other responsible people.

WranglerHawg 08-15-2006 09:59 AM

Sounds like a great place to ride. How far from the FL border?

stainless 08-15-2006 10:13 AM

I think I'm somwhere around 240 miles from the line. I know i'm 185 miles from Tifton.

WranglerHawg 08-15-2006 10:21 AM

10 4. Just wondering how far away, I'm about 5 hours south of the FL/GA line. Tryin to find new places to ride, but i think thats pushin it.

stainless 08-15-2006 10:26 AM

Yeah, definitely not a day trip. And if you're driving this far, I'd say keep going another 2 hrs to the mountains.

1BLKJP 08-15-2006 06:25 PM

Like someone else said before you already mentioned the reasons why I'm not to high on the big body lift. I do all rock crawling and having the body up that far off the frame will put stress on things I don't want to break, like the bolts and the body mounts themselves. Also when you get up that high you really do have linkage issues that you have to solve either on your own or by purchasing other products.

That said I do believe in mild body lifts to accomplish more tire clearance. I run a 1" body lift myself for those purposes, but I wouldn't ever go with more. It's just a differing opinion based on who you ask. I know guys here in AZ that run 3 inch lift springs and 2 inch BL's to get all of their lift to stay lower to the ground. It's just what one prefers over another.

And with your application down there in the mud and water I don't see why it would be a problem at all.

hardy1531 08-15-2006 06:39 PM

I am not a huge fan of body lifts, b/c like you said you can see the frame and it doesn't help me clear anything except bigger tires. On the other hand I have seen a body come off the frame on a TJ. The Jeep was hit by a fullsize p/u and completely ripped the body off the frame. it was pretty scary. I am not saying that this couldn't have happened with no body lift, I am just relaying what my experiences are. I will dig around and see if I can find those pics.

mrbigjeep 08-15-2006 07:46 PM

the body is much less likely to come off the frame without a body lift

amerijeep 08-15-2006 11:33 PM

yeah the body is less likely to come off with a body lift.

bluvikng 08-15-2006 11:37 PM

Yeah, see, yeah............ROFLMAO

mrbigjeep 08-15-2006 11:54 PM

whats up with you amerijeep? why do you keep doin that?

amerijeep 08-15-2006 11:55 PM

ya I agree. Why do you keep doing that?

Just picking at ya. I knew you could laugh along.

mrbigjeep 08-15-2006 11:59 PM

ok

amerijeep 08-16-2006 12:11 AM

I should be picking at bluviking. He has a sore shoulder. ;)

mrbigjeep 08-16-2006 12:17 AM

my bad if i keep doin that...just tryin to help

upinar 09-09-2006 12:36 AM

i live in miami florida, I have a 3 inch body lift with 2 inch susp. lift and 35" x-terrains. theres a lot of mud and swamp related to the everglades. wish there more rocks though. about the body lift, i think u should go for it if you just want to clear the tires. mine holds up great and it helped me to fit my 35"s.