Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Why is a Jeep not a car or a truck...? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/why-is-a-jeep-not-a-car-or-a-truck-262508.html)

Bmast 08-13-2013 10:06 AM

Why is a Jeep not a car or a truck...?

I've been a Jeep owner now for a few months (07 Wrangler Sport) and I'm digging it! Lately I've noticed that when referring to it, I don't like to call it a car or a truck (the girlfriend and I have disused this a bit, she finds it funny, but I just can't call it anything else).

So I ask, why is a Jeep not a car or a truck? And what do you call it?

Also, I'm curious if anyone has named their Jeep!

RoadiJeff 08-13-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmast (Post 4072326)
Also, I'm curious if anyone has named their Jeep!

It's funny that you would ask this because right below this thread is this one:

What's Your Jeep's Name?

Anyway, I don't know about calling it a truck but whenever you call it a car they say a kitten dies.

harleydragon 08-13-2013 10:51 AM

most of these newer ones remind me of a car but my older jeeps get used as if they were trucks here on the farm

RevCo666 08-13-2013 10:55 AM

I would classify my jeep TJ closer to a truck but never a car tho... If I did call it a "car" a little kitten somewhere would die and we don't need that now lol

TJZ 08-13-2013 12:13 PM

A Kitten Dies ! Lol. That's freakin Awesome. ROFL ! That's goin on a shirt or bumper sticker for me.

RevCo666 08-13-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJZ (Post 4072796)
A Kitten Dies ! Lol. That's freakin Awesome. ROFL ! That's goin on a shirt or bumper sticker for me.

Jeep superstitions :) I want bids if you make a nice shirt, I'd buy one!

GoldenSahara00 08-13-2013 12:23 PM

It's an SUV. Like seriously.

jebby 08-13-2013 12:23 PM

because its a Jeep

JDsDream 08-13-2013 12:56 PM

It is a Jeep. There is no other like it.

No car or truck let's you go topless and doorless and has the ability to take you anywhere you want to go all rolled into one.

No car or truck can be modified in so many ways that it would be possible for no 2 to be the same.

As far as I know there is only one thing that a Wrangler can't do...Win a Race.

tabber02 08-13-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 4072972)
It is a Jeep. There is no other like it.

No car or truck let's you go topless and doorless and has the ability to take you anywhere you want to go all rolled into one.

No car or truck can be modified in so many ways that it would be possible for no 2 to be the same.

As far as I know there is only one thing that a Wrangler can't do...Win a Race.

or pass a gas station :rofl: :D

http://02varvara.files.wordpress.com...6641024121.jpg

Spitse 08-13-2013 01:31 PM

There was a dead cat in front of my Bank today. Who called my Jeep a car?

hbgirl 08-13-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 4072981)
or pass a gas station :rofl: :D

it's funny because it's true :nonono: :rofl:

Neral22 08-13-2013 04:09 PM

Help control the pet population as Bob Barker used to say. Everyone needs to call their Jeep a car... I have 7 cats, hope to reduce my pet population... Jeep car FTW!

Blastek 08-13-2013 06:27 PM

It's a Jeep thing.™

OmniscientHiers 08-13-2013 06:39 PM

Sport utility vehicle? That's the closest definition in correlation to a common-named vehicle.

Also Jeeps win races, well one race... anyone see the CJ vs the Ferrari? Plus a TJ completed the Baja 500 a few years ago.

Y-Guy 08-13-2013 06:50 PM

A car is a car, a truck is a truck and a Jeep is a Jeep. If you say SUV that could be a Ford Excursion or a tiny Suzuki.

When you see this picture you know it's a Jeep, not a truck, not a car and definitely not an SUV.
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/wp-c...ar-II-Jeep.jpg

harleydragon 08-13-2013 07:03 PM

I love seeing old pics like the one above....
my 91 yj,4.0,auto,soa with 33's thinks it's a truck..it spent today pulling a trailer around the farm as we loaded pecan limbs on it that we had cut off the trees..
my 80 cj7,400 horse 350,350 turbo,1 tons with 4.56 gears thinks it is a 68 camaro SS and feels like one on the street

Ruby Tuesday 08-13-2013 08:54 PM

It's a "Jeep" always has been, always will be to me, but I'm old school.

Tarby 08-13-2013 08:58 PM

I call them ORV...Off Road Vehicles. SUV makes no sense to me. What "Sport" do you use a "Utility Vehicle"? Stupid term for a vehicle made up by idiots at a desk with nothing better to do...lol!! Kinda like "Cross-Over" vehicles...what?!? Didn't know automobiles had an identity crisis.

hankdude 08-13-2013 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 285517

A little humor

GoldenSahara00 08-13-2013 09:24 PM

Sport being wheeling... Offroading. Or used to get you and your equipment to an obscure location. Fishing hunting hiking kayaking mountain climbing exploring etc

Just because in recent years companies have tried to make other SUVs that suck in quality and comparison to a wrangler doesn't change the fact that the wrangler was the original SUV. Everything else is a bad copy. I'm not sure why some of you can't comprehend logical classifications of vehicles. It's really not that big of a deal but apparently to some of you it is!

Tarby 08-13-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 4074936)
Sport being wheeling... Offroading. Or used to get you and your equipment to an obscure location. Fishing hunting hiking kayaking mountain climbing exploring etc

Just because in recent years companies have tried to make other SUVs that suck in quality and comparison to a wrangler doesn't change the fact that the wrangler was the original SUV. Everything else is a bad copy. I'm not sure why some of you can't comprehend logical classifications of vehicles. It's really not that big of a deal but apparently to some of you it is!

Didn't mean to get your feathers all ruffled:hide:

" Jeep Cherokee (XJ) was the first true sport utility vehicle in the modern understanding of the term.[6] Developed under the leadership of AMC's François Castaing and marketed to urban families as a substitute for a traditional car (and especially station wagons, which were still fairly popular at the time), the Cherokee had four-wheel drive in a more manageable size (compared to the full-size Wagoneer), as well as a plush interior resembling a station wagon.[6] With the introduction of more luxurious models and a much more powerful 4-liter engine, sales of the Cherokee increased even higher as the price of gasoline fell, and the term "sport utility vehicle" began to be used in the national press for the first time.'

This is what I was talking about...the term wasn't really around till the XJ. Everyone referred to them as ORV or just "JEEP"

Also, the first "SUV"...."The earliest examples of SUVs were the Chevrolet Carryall Suburban (1935, RWD only)"

Just sayin':) When people call jeeps "cars", I feel the same way when they are called "SUV"...not saying that offroading isn't a sport, or fishing, hunting, etc....but if you look at adds for "SUV"...the only sport they are advertised is for soccer, football, etc. Ping-Pong is a sport, it is in the Olympics, but I wouldn't consider it a sport for a utility vehicle....but I guess you can drive the team in it?

GoldenSahara00 08-13-2013 10:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Trust me my feathers aren't ruffled and I probably use my wrangler in its intended habitat more than 99% of this forum. However anyone else wants to describe or use theirs is their own business.

Go look up wrangler. It says "SUV". I can't control classifications of vehicles and I'm certain the willys was a better "SUV" than the early suburban! :rofl:

My point is just because the modern definition (or impression) of an SUV is wimpy doesn't change the fact that the wrangler/jeep was originally brought to civilian use for that purpose and has been the best at it ever since.

And from of the same wiki articles you used:

Tarby 08-13-2013 11:00 PM

When I was small, the CJ3B on my Great Uncle's farm was one of the tractors, because it had the Willys plow set for the rear...Loved it.

My point was that the term "SUV" hasn't been around as long as the vehicles that have been classified. Ask an elderly person if the term SUV was around when the Willys was prominent. It is a term used in the last maybe 25 years. Trust me, I'm the last person to be insisting on being right...lol!! I guess in time relation, as the original poster said Wrangler, the Wrangler has been produced during the tenure of the term "SUV".

Mine is still Jeep, or by designation in models.

Sorry to get off track...carry on....

TJZ 08-13-2013 11:24 PM

Wow ! Haha

Attachment 285589

jkmohican 08-13-2013 11:34 PM

Why do I not call my jeep a car? Because the guy in my avatar will shoot me...

GoldenSahara00 08-14-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarby (Post 4075590)
When I was small, the CJ3B on my Great Uncle's farm was one of the tractors, because it had the Willys plow set for the rear...Loved it.

My point was that the term "SUV" hasn't been around as long as the vehicles that have been classified. Ask an elderly person if the term SUV was around when the Willys was prominent. It is a term used in the last maybe 25 years. Trust me, I'm the last person to be insisting on being right...lol!! I guess in time relation, as the original poster said Wrangler, the Wrangler has been produced during the tenure of the term "SUV".

Mine is still Jeep, or by designation in models.

Sorry to get off track...carry on....

Wrangler has been around since 86. The xj aka your first "modern SUV" came out in 84... So yes.

Of course they haven't been called the same thing for 70 years, but just because nomenclature wasn't the same doesn't mean that's not essentially what they were by definition.

I understand you're point and honestly it's not a big deal but what the hell is it if it's not an SUV. It has to fit some type of classification even if it is an extreme instance or example of one. Just like humans and whales and deer are all mammals, but vastly different. We all share similar defining characteristics.

Anyways I think we've about talked this one out :rofl:

Mines still a TJ, an awesome Jeep. That might just be an SUV. Have a good night man.

whetstone 08-14-2013 12:32 PM

I've never owned an older (pre-'80) jeep but I did have several Scouts and early body style Broncos. They were classified as station wagons on the registration and I wouldn't be surprised if the CJ's were the same.
The reason that most people don't call them cars or trucks is due to the group-think mentality that enthusiasts, especially Internet enthusiasts, are predisposed to. I'm really enjoying watching people make the case that their Wrangler isn't an SUV, even though it says it is right on the registration...

GoldenSahara00 08-14-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whetstone (Post 4077646)
I've never owned an older (pre-'80) jeep but I did have several Scouts and early body style Broncos. They were classified as station wagons on the registration and I wouldn't be surprised if the CJ's were the same.
The reason that most people don't call them cars or trucks is due to the group-think mentality that enthusiasts, especially Internet enthusiasts, are predisposed to. I'm really enjoying watching people make the case that their Wrangler isn't an SUV, even though it says it is right on the registration...

:thumb: You put into words what my frustrated thoughts were thinking :rofl:

tabber02 08-14-2013 01:47 PM

i don't know about you guys... but my registration vehicle type says - lifted bad arse jeep - don't effing screw with this guy...

the font's just real small :rofl: