Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Trail Pics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/)
-   -   First time off the road! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/first-time-off-the-road-263461.html)

elite56 08-17-2013 02:39 PM

First time off the road!
 
8 Attachment(s)
Well I heard of a spot near me that sounded like a fun area and I decided to try it out. It was my first official off road adventure. The area had a lot of sand dunes and wooded hard packed dirt areas. With a mix of some water and hills. It was a blast. I was the only vehicle but I did go with one friend. I ended up getting stuck for a little three times. All three times I got stuck in the sand because I made a rooky mistake and went to slow :doh:. The big 12.5 wide tires sure didn't help though. One time I got stuck real good and I ended up smoking my clutch a little when I was trying to get out :hide:. That was definitely not a very good feeling. All in all I was very nervous about the whole ordeal because it was my first time and no one else was out there to pull me out of I did get stuck really badly but I loved it. I can't wait until next time and maybe then I won't make so many mistakes.
Here's some pictures of the area and my jeep!



Attachment 286964



Attachment 286965



Attachment 286966



Attachment 286967



Attachment 286968



Attachment 286969



Attachment 286970



Attachment 286971

elite56 08-17-2013 06:11 PM

There trails are located in Jacksonville, Fl.

SuperTJ 08-17-2013 06:15 PM

Nice rig! Looks like fun.

elite56 08-17-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTJ (Post 4090467)
Nice rig! Looks like fun.

Thanks! She was yearning to be broken in!

The Green Monster 08-17-2013 07:16 PM

Is this near Osceola NF? I went there 2 years ago. My brother lives near Jacksonville so always looking for places around there.

elite56 08-17-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Green Monster (Post 4090644)
Is this near Osceola NF? I went there 2 years ago. My brother lives near Jacksonville so always looking for places around there.

I would say it's probably about an hours drive from Osceola national forest.

GladiatorMMA 08-19-2013 08:34 AM

Nicely done!! Great looking Jeep as well.

elite56 08-19-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GladiatorMMA (Post 4095780)
Nicely done!! Great looking Jeep as well.

Thanks!
You mean nicely done except for the clutch haha. Not my proudest moment.

tabber02 08-19-2013 01:38 PM

4 wheel lo and low tire pressure... :thumb: that'll help you out in the sand going forward... like 12 to 15 psi in your tires.

your clutch will thank you! :D
.

elite56 08-19-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 4096712)
4 wheel lo and low tire pressure... :thumb: that'll help you out in the sand going forward... like 12 to 15 psi in your tires.

your clutch will thank you! :D
.

What about driving on the pavement after I'm done in the trails? Would that low of a PSI be ok for 20 minutes of pavement driving back to my house?

tabber02 08-19-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elite56 (Post 4097259)
What about driving on the pavement after I'm done in the trails? Would that low of a PSI be ok for 20 minutes of pavement driving back to my house?

yes... i wouldn't go nuts... but it should be fine for limited driving. :thumb: as the tires get hotter (from the road) air pressure will rise a little anyhow.

also not a bad idea to look into a portable compressor to bring with you. viair and smittybilt make decent ones...
.

elite56 08-19-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 4097321)

yes... i wouldn't go nuts... but it should be fine for limited driving. :thumb: as the tires get hotter (from the road) air pressure will rise a little anyhow.

also not a bad idea to look into a portable compressor to bring with you. viair and smittybilt make decent ones...
.

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into the compressors.
The only issue I was having with 4L is that when I would slow down to put it into 4L I would get stuck and then on occasion I couldn't get it to engage since I wasn't rolling.

tabber02 08-19-2013 05:07 PM

trans in neutral? sometimes mines a little picky... but if i'm stopped or barely rolling with the trans in neutral it always works fine. :thumb:

and with the lower tire pressure, you'll be okay in the deeper sand. don't want to be in 4HI is soft stuff, you'll cook your transmission!

.

elite56 08-19-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 4097357)
trans in neutral? sometimes mines a little picky... but if i'm stopped or barely rolling with the trans in neutral it always works fine. :thumb:

and with the lower tire pressure, you'll be okay in the deeper sand. don't want to be in 4HI is soft stuff, you'll cook your transmission!

.

Yep always in neutral. I read somewhere in the manual that sometimes if you go into 4l when your stopped then it may not engage due to the gears not being lined up properly.
Ya I found that out about my transmission on my last outing haha. I'll make sure to definitely deflate my tires for sure next time!

GoldenSahara00 08-19-2013 06:28 PM

Don't worry about driving on the road aired down, just keep it slow.

Next time you get stuck, burry your passenger waist deep in the sand and then have him hold your winch cable :rofl:

tabber02 08-19-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 4097621)
Don't worry about driving on the road aired down, just keep it slow.

Next time you get stuck, burry your passenger waist deep in the sand and then have him hold your winch cable :rofl:

now that's a great idea :thumb:















:rofl:

elite56 08-19-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 4097621)
Don't worry about driving on the road aired down, just keep it slow.

Next time you get stuck, burry your passenger waist deep in the sand and then have him hold your winch cable :rofl:

So are you volunteering yourself?

GoldenSahara00 08-19-2013 09:48 PM

I don't think I was your passenger but this weekend was a blur. Who knows.

elite56 08-19-2013 10:24 PM

Next time I'll bring someone that I dislike and use that method to get out :D

98tjteen 08-20-2013 06:28 PM

I love the jeep what lift and tires do you have. I'm only 17 with a stock 98. I would love to have a jeep like yours.

elite56 08-20-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98tjteen (Post 4101798)
I love the jeep what lift and tires do you have. I'm only 17 with a stock 98. I would love to have a jeep like yours.

Thanks! Lots of working and saving will you get you there!
3" zone suspension lift and 33"x12.5" goodyear wrangler duratrac tires

Duma03tjx 08-21-2013 10:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 288704



Attachment 288705



Attachment 288707



Attachment 288708

elite56 08-21-2013 11:19 PM

Very nice! It's quite a bit more hilly then where I was.

elite56 08-24-2013 11:57 AM

To the experienced winch users.

How far of an angle can you use a winch? I had a situation the other day where the angle of the line was probably at about 75 degrees from the actual winch. Besides the possibility of it flipping the jeep is there any strain put on the line that is dangerous or any damage inflicted on the winch itself?

NFGZ 12-08-2013 06:50 PM

Im in Jacksonville and just bought a TJ today for my wife. Its stock, so if you got stuck in it in this rig I better get some modding on! Where abouts was this?

tabber02 12-08-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elite56 (Post 4115516)
To the experienced winch users.

How far of an angle can you use a winch? I had a situation the other day where the angle of the line was probably at about 75 degrees from the actual winch. Besides the possibility of it flipping the jeep is there any strain put on the line that is dangerous or any damage inflicted on the winch itself?

I would be more concerned with the winch line spooling back to just one side of the drum. 75 degrees is damn near a right angle. did you guys have a snatch block?

had you had a block, you could have pulled off of another jeep or off of a mature tree (with a tree saver and the snatch block) to reduce the angle of the line coming back to the drum....

elite56 12-08-2013 11:08 PM

Wow this was a long time ago! In that situation I managed to find a tree that was just within reach of my winch. Literally if it was another foot farther then we would have gone past the red part that was marked on the 100' line! Also, at the time I did not have a snatch block so I was just lucky!

NFGZ, the place I was stuck at was a completely different place then the pictures.
Unfortunately where these pictures were taken you can no longer go to. They started some construction in the area so it's now closed off.
There's nothing really in Jacksonville that's bad. The only thing you have to worry about is mud. If you're looking for a place to wheel check out osceola or ocala forest. I'm unsure how stock your jeep is but over Christmas break I'll be headed down to either ocala forest or hard rock and you are welcome to join me. I still haven't picked out a date yet. I should know by next Sunday after my clubs meeting.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.