Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   taking carpet out (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/taking-carpet-out-263585.html)

mjh486 08-18-2013 08:04 AM

taking carpet out

I am wanting to take out my carpet in my jeep and put down some bed liner or something anyone got any tips on what kind of bed liner to get or anything i should know before doing this. Thanks

Philmycrackin 08-18-2013 10:17 AM

One of the best things I did was remove the carpet. Some will say the floor gets a lot hotter without the heat barrier, but its not that bad. I like that I just pull the drain plugs, hose down the inside after wheeling and shop vac out the water that didn't drain. I see monstaliner brand mentioned quite a bit here. I have yet to do the liner yet but its on my list

tim2 08-18-2013 10:20 AM

I used Monstaliner on my YJ and love it very easy to keep it clean. I am tearing out the interior of the 97 I just got and will probably line the interior of it also.

Wattapunk 08-18-2013 11:31 AM

You will find many threads on this but Monstaliner probably the best and most popular roll-on bedliner on here. Herculiner is cheaper but it's quite rough on bare skin with no UV protection. If you have the tools to spray, then U-Pol raptor liner is a great option. Prep is the most time consuming of the whole process and will take a day. It took me one weekend to Monstalined mine.

Jerry Bransford 08-18-2013 12:10 PM

Every time I removed my carpeting thinking I would just live with the added heat, I ended up putting the carpeting back in due to how hot the floor is without the carpeting. And no roll-on or spray-on liner will provide enough thermal insulation to make a difference in that.

I wouldn't mind putting some type of liner on my flooring & getting rid of the carpeting but I'd sure add some reflective insulation between the catalytic converter & my feet. The cat gets HOT and its heat is a problem without something to insulate the interior away from it.

jsuggs 08-18-2013 12:13 PM

If you are worried about the floor being hot you can put Dynamat on the firewall. It will cut down on tire/road noise.

As far as bed liner goes. There are a lot of good brands. Some brands you can order in various colors, some you have to put uv protector over. If you want a smooth texture I would recommend having it sprayed on. If you are going to do it yourself, test it out on a piece of sheet metal first to make sure that you get the texture that you want. You can do a lot with different rollers and thicknesses of the bed liner. At work we have been having Line-X sprayed on. It is one of the better ones that I have seen over the years, It has a fairly smooth texture when done. For other equipment and the occasional repair I use this Dupli-Color® Bed Armor™ BAA2010 - Truck Bed Coating | O'Reilly Auto Parts

It works well, has a nice texture when it dries.

Best of luck

Jeremy
ASE Master Auto Tech

Jerry Bransford 08-18-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsuggs (Post 4092636)
If you are worried about the floor being hot you can put Dynamat on the firewall.

heat that gets introduced after removing the carpeting comes from the catalytic converter which is directly under the front seating area, on the passenger side of the tunnel. Insulating the firewall will not help insulate from the converter's heat in the least. Dynamat on the floor & tunnel area would certainly help. :)

Jerry Bransford 08-18-2013 12:58 PM

The issue of heat coming up through the floor from the catalytic converter isn't going to be helped by insulating the firewall as you advised. I am really sorry you didn't like being called on it.