Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   pinging noise (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/pinging-noise-263645.html)

pozzer145 08-18-2013 02:21 PM

pinging noise

i have a 2011 jku 6 speed, there is a pining noise when shifting. when i get under load (going uphill, or high rpms) there seems to be a pinging or rattle sound in the engine....sounds like something is going to break. anyone ever heard of this...it is still under warrenty but dealer has no idea but can hear the noise

tab22092 08-18-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pozzer145 (Post 4092941)
i have a 2011 jku 6 speed, there is a pining noise when shifting. when i get under load (going uphill, or high rpms) there seems to be a pinging or rattle sound in the engine....sounds like something is going to break. anyone ever heard of this...it is still under warrenty but dealer has no idea but can hear the noise

Its called detonation. Un controlled burning in the cylinders caused by low octane fuel in a high compression motor usually. Couldve just got a bad batch of fuel. I cant imagine the 3.8 detonating on 87 it dosent have a high enough compression ratio for the most part. Their are other factors that can cause this such as heat etc.

pozzer145 08-18-2013 02:38 PM

do you have any sugestions on fixing this i tried putting in a tank of 93 octain in but not helping ....is it ok and is just the way it is?

tab22092 08-18-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pozzer145 (Post 4092988)
do you have any sugestions on fixing this i tried putting in a tank of 93 octain in but not helping ....is it ok and is just the way it is?

Hmmmm not to sure. Id have to hear it in person to really tell if it is true detonation to begin with. Could be timing as well. i dont know how the 3.8's control timing. I know some people do confuse transmission grumbles for detonation occasionally though. It should not come anywhere near detonation with 93 octane. If it is really detonation i would take it in to the shop. True detonations destroys engines.

UtWolf 08-18-2013 02:45 PM

its not ok.......something will get damaged!!!
If 93 octane fuel did not get rid of it, I would take it to the dealer, let them deal with it cause something isn't right....could be a simple timing issue but as long as its under warranty continue to take it to the dealer. That's what I would be doing anyways.

Jared66 08-18-2013 02:51 PM

I hear this pinging too I can create it by pressing on the pedal hard while already drivin under load . But doesn't last long. Maybe 3-4 ping then stop then 3-4 ping ish then atopic again. Can't pinpoint where it's comming from. Sounds metallic. Had issue for a little while. Throw away barring and clutch just got replaced. Same sound. Continues. So deffinetly not any of those components. 2011 with the 6 speed aswell. Goin to go to 5-30 Mobil 1 next oil change to see I it goes away.

pozzer145 08-19-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66 (Post 4093019)
I hear this pinging too I can create it by pressing on the pedal hard while already drivin under load . But doesn't last long. Maybe 3-4 ping then stop then 3-4 ping ish then atopic again. Can't pinpoint where it's comming from. Sounds metallic. Had issue for a little while. Throw away barring and clutch just got replaced. Same sound. Continues. So deffinetly not any of those components. 2011 with the 6 speed aswell. Goin to go to 5-30 Mobil 1 next oil change to see I it goes away.

I'm already put Mobil 1 in now but 5-20 and a Mobil 1 filter but didnt help

relyt 08-19-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pozzer145 (Post 4092941)

What kind of RPM are you running? Gas engines don't like being under heavy load at low RPM. Go down a gear or two and it should be better, unless you have something mechanically wrong.

pozzer145 08-20-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relyt (Post 4095419)

What kind of RPM are you running? Gas engines don't like being under heavy load at low RPM. Go down a gear or two and it should be better, unless you have something mechanically wrong.

It is during high rpms like3500-4000 in 2nd or 3 rd gear and going up hills at high rpms is when it is really noticeable