Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Curing my Rubicon Envy (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/curing-my-rubicon-envy-264027.html)

CouponPages 08-19-2013 09:56 PM

Curing my Rubicon Envy

Well, I must admit, before ordering my Jeep, I did almost no homework, so I ordered the basic Sport JKU, with no upgraded drivetrain options.

Once I ordered, I started educating myself by reading the forums. Now, I've got a bad case of Rubicon Envy. :facepalm:

Changing my order is not an option; so I've decided to just find out where and how to get the kind of upgrades that will cure some of my regrets.

Originally, I thought that the main difference was rock crawling, and since I could picture myself splashing in mud and snow more than rocks, I skipped out on the Rubicon. :banghead:

Now that I've seen the light and learned about things like lockers, LSDs and Brake Lock Differentials, I'm wondering where and how I can get those features.

I've seen the links for the parts such as locking differentials from places like Quadratech, but I'm clueless about what types are best (air / elecro-magnetic / etc.)... and where I would have these installed. I'm in the New York City / New Jersey area (NJ is actually easier for me).

Anyone know where I should go... and what these kinds of upgrades will cost? At the least, I will want Brake Lock Differentials.

In the end, I'm sure I'll still envy the Rubicon, but hopefully I'll have SOME of it's capabilities.... when in doubt, I'll just get a nice winch and pull myself out of the mud. :D

legitposter 08-19-2013 10:00 PM

Just get rubicon stickers, take-off Rubi shocks, wheels and tires. Boom, done.

landi jeep 08-19-2013 10:01 PM

Do you have deposit on your order?

bcsnave 08-19-2013 10:04 PM

Do NOT take delivery..order a Rubi

Don't take delivery...you'll go broke if you buy the parts and have to pay for installation

Plus you will kick yourself thinking "I should've gotten a Rubicon"

my 2 cents

Commodore Perry 08-19-2013 10:05 PM

I'm a big fan of ARB products; great quality and very well designed. If I didn't have the Rubicon lockers I would get ARB air-lockers.

jkmohican 08-19-2013 10:05 PM

You have most of its capabilities. A good driver in a sport or Sahara will get to 95% of the places a rubicon can. Think about a Rubicon as winch. Now, many people have winches, but 90% of the people with them have only used them once, for that one "oh shit" moment. That's what a rubicon is, it will get you up and over that one obstacle that your sport just can't do. Remember, your jeep has BLD, which is a pretty damn effective traction control system that, combined with the many things that make a wrangler great in the first place, will get you 95% of the places you want to go. And for even better capability, getting you even closer to a Rubicon's advantage, buy some swaybar disconnects and an air compressor, disconnect your links, air down your tires and you really will go anywhere you want. And if you want to go even further buy better tires, and odds are, your going to get bigger tires than the tires that come with a stock rubi, so by getting new tires, your leaping ahead (in one aspect).

gsn 08-19-2013 10:07 PM

Dont jks come by default with brake lock? I could swear they did O_o
edit: ah yes, answered above

CouponPages 08-19-2013 10:20 PM

I didn't take delivery, but I've already changed my order once and made my dealer end up with another JKU in his inventory he didn't want (he only stocks hard tops).

I've been waiting since June, so I'm definitely going to take delivery when it comes.

I'm very happy to hear that Brake Lock Differentials are standard, that's a great start.

Thanks for the advice on ARB Air Lockers Commodore Perry, it looks like those cost about $1200 or so each. Does anyone know where to have something like that installed? Do most people go to their dealers?

Also, do most people get two?... or are rears alone sufficient?

Stosh1 08-19-2013 10:43 PM

You probably don't need selectable lockers like ARB, etc. A limited slip differential (LSD) in the rear should suffice, but you could also put one in front. These are called automatic locking differentials and there are many brands and types. They are a lot less expensive than selectable lockers such as ARB. This a complicated subject and you should do a lot of research or find a knowledgeable person whom you can trust to advise you. Maybe the BLD is all you need. Or you could cancel your Sport, apologize to the dealer and let him make a little extra money on ordering a new, more expensive Rubi.

CouponPages 08-19-2013 10:51 PM

I've already ordered twice since June, so I would feel terrible leaving him with two soft top Jeeps since he never stocks soft tops. Plus I would have to wait another two months.

I'm going to have to find a local guy who can do some of the mods. The way I see it, the Rubicon costs about $8,000 more, so even if I spend a few thousand getting LSDs as you said, or a moderately priced set of lockers, I'll still spend less and move myself from 90% capable... to 95%?

jkmohican 08-19-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CouponPages (Post 4098755)
I've already ordered twice since June, so I would feel terrible leaving him with two soft top Jeeps since he never stocks soft tops. Plus I would have to wait another two months.

I'm going to have to find a local guy who can do some of the mods. The way I see it, the Rubicon costs about $8,000 more, so even if I spend a few thousand getting LSDs as you said, or a moderately priced set of lockers, I'll still spend less and move myself from 90% capable... to 95%?

If you were to buy selectable lockers, your going everywhere a rubi can. The lower gears and t case are great, and make off roading easier, but they won't land you somewhere your jeep couldn't if you both have lockers. Lockers ade basically what separates a rubi from a sport off road in terms of CAPABILITY (bare in mind, most people switch their tires eventually, stock ones just suck)

CouponPages 08-19-2013 11:14 PM

If lockers are the key, the big question is where do I get them installed? Do most people go to their dealer? If not, does anyone know a good NY or NJ installer?

jkmohican 08-19-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CouponPages (Post 4098818)
If lockers are the key, the big question is where do I get them installed? Do most people go to their dealer? If not, does anyone know a good NY or NJ installer?

Theirs always a trusted shop somewhere. Just ask on the NY or NJ section of the forum. Talk to local jeepers who have built up jeeps and they'll tell you where to go.

jk'n 08-19-2013 11:42 PM

Hmmmm.....did the same thing in Nov. 2007. Got the Sahara. Then Chrysler bought my jeep back......then got the Rubicon......problem solved. I'm happy with the Rubicon. Over 80K on the odometer now. Hope you get what you are looking for for features, but it's nice to have them out of the box.

Lowerumble 08-19-2013 11:49 PM

You may have wanted to listen to your dealer the first couple times around. I am guessing they don't sell soft top jeeps in New York for a reason. I'll bet you will need that more than lockers...

Stosh1 08-19-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowerumble (Post 4098911)
You may have wanted to listen to your dealer the first couple times around. I am guessing they don't sell soft top jeeps in New York for a reason. I'll bet you will need that more than lockers...

Only if they do away with "stop and frisk".

Dj Captain 08-20-2013 12:04 AM

First, Get over the rubicon envy. I bought a sport, and will gladly run with/past rubicons. It's just all about what you want to do with your jeep, and how deep your pockets are.

Second, I can not stress enough that if you need work done, to go to the guys at globelx performance. They really are the best, period.

Third, you have a jeep, jut enjoy it!

rodin 08-20-2013 12:12 AM

most importantly, don't take delivery on something you're not happy with. regardless of the dealer's feelings. screw his inventory, that's his problem. what's not his problem, is whether you're happy with your purchase after the fact.
if you want to change your order again, the dealer's sad face should be the least of your concern.

socal-jk 08-20-2013 12:24 AM

Driving skill has a lot to do with it. Building your skill set SLOWLY is essentially free. I passed on a Rubi for a nice sport. Mods are in my sig. I decided that i would rather do my own route with the savings. I have never got it stuck, or close to it, taken it some questionable places and gone everywhere mildly built rubis will go using my rails and skids. Sure the lockers come in handy no doubt. That being said BLD works wonders with a limited slip and I have yet to go somewhere that I had to stop or get strapped. The Rubi rock trac has its advantages, and disadvantages.

If you want and can afford a Rubi, get one but you dont NEED one. Remember Jeeps were crawling all over this country LONG before the advent of long travel kits, lockers, pro rock 60's, swaybar discos (and even a swaybar I guess) BLD, 37's, etc. Have some faith in your rig.

Other advice, do not sign for a car you will regret. If you are just finding all this stuff out now that means sales didn't do their job in finding or selling you on what you want/need.

Olsen185 08-20-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CouponPages (Post 4098818)

Globex in toms river, nj.

ohioviper 08-20-2013 12:36 AM

Get what you want or you will regret it.This goes for color as well as options.

guppy 08-20-2013 02:05 AM

Get the Rubicon if that is what you want. Think about warranty after mods, the dealer you are so worried about won't hesitate to tell you your jeep parts that have been modified are no longer covered by warranty.
GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!!
There are lots of dealerships out there!

Mike- 08-20-2013 02:15 AM

^^^^ yep.
It's better to trade it now when it won't cost you a dime to do so versus later when you're not happy with it.

Besides, you're changing for a more costly vehicle - they'll be fine with it, and whatever this top issue is, they're interchangeable, so they can swap yours.

DallasJKU 08-20-2013 02:18 AM

I just couldn't bring myself to paying $8-10K more than my Sport. I don't need power windows or locks. I don't rock crawl. I just enjoy light off roading and camping, but more so the top off experience. I spent that $8K on tires, wheels, lift, lighting, etc. I had a 2006 Rubicon and never used it to its capabilities except the lockers were nice. I can always add lockers and if I do I still paid less than the Rubicon and probably have better lockers in the process.

Snowboard One 08-20-2013 03:05 AM

Buy the Rubi! I think I smile just a bit bigger because of it. I had a choice between a Black JKUR or an Army Green Oscar Mike which is a better choice of color for me. I went with the Rubi and glad I did. The Rubi is a beast.

Caveman1965 08-20-2013 06:13 AM

I love my Rubi. It lets me go anywhere and return safely with my warrenty in tact.

Also, everybody talks a lot about lockers and discos. What about tires? I bought a Rubi and never even looked at a Sport. But, I'm pretty sure the tires are different. If you want to make a Sport just as capable as a Rubi, don't you need tires too?

I have no regrets. Don't get me wrong....I drool over all Jeeps. But if money is not an issue, buy the Rubicon.

panthermark 08-20-2013 06:39 AM

Well, you already have BLD....every JK made has BLD. Sounds like you should have ordered LSD on your Sport, but you can add a better aftermarket (Trutrac) unit if you want. If it lockers you want, those can be added later as well.

If it is a Rubi you want, you should get it.

But you have not really stated why you need a Rubi. I guess I'm more interested in where the envy is coming from.

went_postal 08-20-2013 06:51 AM

my $0.02...

The biggest advantage to having a Rubicon over building up a Sport the way you want it is: Warranty

That's about it. Modding in theory does not void your warranty or anything like that but when it comes with all that crap via the factory they cannot give you ANY grief about it.

The whole Rubicon Vs. Sahara Vs. Sport thing cracks me up to no end. Here I thought I was buying a Jeep. =) I guess I should only wave at other Sahara drivers. :wavey:

I would say... get a Rubi if you REALLY think it's worth it to you... otherwise... don't assume the Sport isn't going to do what you want because 100 Rubicon owners on the Forums say that it can't. Take the Sport out... if it gets stuck have someone help you out and then change out whatever got you stuck.

My Jeep will see the beach and some minor trail stuff... So far it's done just fine in the stock Sahara config. I have a friend that bought a Rubi and then added a snorkel and all the other crap he "had" to have... and the Sahara and the Rubi can go to all the same places so far.

To each their own. I would like monster tires and stuff like that. But... my only regret was the 3.21 differentials. It happened to be on the lot and the 3.73 was the only thing missing. but... for the deal I got I can go buy 4.11s and get them installed and still come out ahead/below sticker.

xcoaste 08-20-2013 07:08 AM

This conversation has been going on for 10 years now. Experience is the only thing that matters. There is a reason the old guys are usually the best on the trails, no offense! That said, my advice is to not take delivery on a $30-$40k Jeep that won't make you happy. Explain the situation to your dealer, worst case you lose a deposit which would be less than the hit you would likely take on a trade in a year.

13rian 08-20-2013 07:21 AM

Have you watch the two video on Command-Trac and Rock-track on the jeep web site. They might answer your question on which you really want/need.

Command-trac:
The Jeep® Command-Trac® 4WD - YouTube

Rock-trac:
The Jeep ® Wrangler Rubicon Rock-Trac® 4WD system - YouTube