Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Got my spider top....(gray) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/got-my-spider-top-gray-264038.html)

rollingrock 08-19-2013 10:46 PM

Got my spider top....(gray)

2 Attachment(s)
Well I got my first "soft top" on our '14

Picked up this Gray Spiderweb mesh top. Looks darker in person, but I like how it turned out. Haven't seen this color yet.

Love it so far.

RR

MPitchford72 08-19-2013 11:20 PM

Just got mine in the mail last week. Hope to install it this week. I went for black on black. Like the blue.

rollingrock 08-19-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPitchford72 (Post 4098831)
Just got mine in the mail last week. Hope to install it this week. I went for black on black. Like the blue.

What year do yo have? I would like to know how you manage the front corners. They were kind of a bear.

MPitchford72 08-19-2013 11:28 PM

2014, it's being delivered to my office tomorrow morning. My first jeep... so excited.

rollingrock 08-19-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPitchford72 (Post 4098852)
2014, it's being delivered to my office tomorrow morning. My first jeep... so excited.

congrats, this too is our first Jeep, I watched them take it off the truck last week.

At my buddies ranch, we have 5 jeeps, 2 of them are Willies. I had to break down and get it done. I bought a 93 pathfinder to make a ranch truck...it was a money pit. So I fixed it and sold it.

Lowerumble 08-19-2013 11:34 PM

oh, spiderweb shade...

rollingrock 08-19-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowerumble (Post 4098871)
oh, spiderweb shade...

my bad, did I call it by the wrong thing?

Megawatt308 08-20-2013 07:40 AM

I got the same color trail mesh spiderweb shade two weeks ago to go with my bright white 2013 JKU. I am using grey to break up the black and white look on everything.

For the front corners I ended up going round the plastic and not just on the cushion on the sport bar, it helped to pull the corners tight. I tried to wrap the spiderball around the cushion but it made the corners sag and did not look like a clean install. I will snap some closeup pics later tonight after shift. You will see on my shade the rear edge does not come as far back no the rear sport bar as in your pic. I am not saying either way is wrong, just a different position.

rollingrock 08-27-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megawatt308 (Post 4099565)
I got the same color trail mesh spiderweb shade two weeks ago to go with my bright white 2013 JKU. I am using grey to break up the black and white look on everything.

For the front corners I ended up going round the plastic and not just on the cushion on the sport bar, it helped to pull the corners tight. I tried to wrap the spiderball around the cushion but it made the corners sag and did not look like a clean install. I will snap some closeup pics later tonight after shift. You will see on my shade the rear edge does not come as far back no the rear sport bar as in your pic. I am not saying either way is wrong, just a different position.

Hey can you get a few shots of how you went around the front corners? Also is your flapping in to the sound bar any?

Thorshammer7 08-27-2013 07:01 PM

I had one on my 2009 JKU and loved it, never had a flapping problem with it. Recently traded for a new JK and ordered another SWS for it.

Megawatt308 08-27-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollingrock (Post 4127458)
Hey can you get a few shots of how you went around the front corners? Also is your flapping in to the sound bar any?

No flapping at all. I can't believe its actually raining out here in the desert so I have my top up, but as soon as I take it down again I will snap pics.

Megawatt308 08-28-2013 07:22 PM

Still raining so the top is still up. In the corners I wrap the spider ball around the rigid plastic in the corner. I tried with the cord at the end of the plastic piece and on the sport bar padding where it could be tucked away and not seen but it caused the shade to sag in the corners.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ff3cc94.jpg

Here is a view from underneath of how the corner spider ball keeps the shade tight on my JKU. It is a cleaner look when the cord is an inch further back on the padding behind the plastic but that position causes wrinkles and allows more air inside the cabin.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...psbcdfac13.jpg

TwoNin9r 08-28-2013 07:25 PM

how hard was it to get the elastic to stretch that far? i may try this on mine tonight.

also, my speakers on the bar make a buzzing sound now, anyone else?

rollingrock 08-28-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoNin9r (Post 4131677)
how hard was it to get the elastic to stretch that far? i may try this on mine tonight.

also, my speakers on the bar make a buzzing sound now, anyone else?

yeah my question too, seems like that is a way long way around. Letting go may result in some GD's and MF's being yelled.

Thanks for the pictures man. Very helpful.

TwoNin9r 08-28-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollingrock (Post 4131790)
yeah my question too, seems like that is a way long way around. Letting go may result in some GD's and MF's being yelled.

i know at Home Depot, and i think i've seen it at wally world, they sell an assorted pack of different sized bungees like this. i may try to find a bit larger one and possibly even go above the edge, around the actual bar, and back above the edge, though i think that might pull down the plastic a bit.

rollingrock 08-28-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoNin9r (Post 4131831)
i know at Home Depot, and i think i've seen it at wally world, they sell an assorted pack of different sized bungees like this. i may try to find a bit larger one and possibly even go above the edge, around the actual bar, and back above the edge, though i think that might pull down the plastic a bit.

my thought exactly.

zoliandmike 08-28-2013 08:57 PM

i just got one for my 2008 JK 2 door. love it. you can leave it on when you put the hard top on as well. it makes a cool headliner. go to there website and watch the video. supper easy to install!

mike

Megawatt308 08-28-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoNin9r (Post 4131677)

I did not have any problem stretching the spider ball around. It fit the first time I tried and I did it unassisted, I just pulled it and secured it. But in that position the shade has no ripples and keeps out more of the 110F air we had three weeks ago (new Jeep owner and had to drive with top off for the full experience).

donmeca2020 08-28-2013 11:29 PM

for that being gray that looks white in the photos.... either way nice choice... spiderweb shade is one of the first things i'll be ordering AFTER i order my jeep.

Nuke83 08-28-2013 11:46 PM

Have you guys watched the video on their website on how to install? From your picture (bottom pic in post #12), it appears that you have the corner too far back. In the install video, they slide the spider ball under the plastic molding (you have it wrapped around the outside of the plastic molding) and then tuck the ball into the crevice on top of the molding. This should pull it tighter in the corners and eliminate the wrinkles, sagging and air flow issues you mention.

Check out the install video, particularly starting at the 1:25 time mark.

Wrangler Accessories, Jeep Top, Wrangler Top

rollingrock 08-28-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuke83 (Post 4132750)
Have you guys watched the video on their website on how to install? From your picture (bottom pic in post #12), it appears that you have the corner too far back. In the install video, they slide the spider ball under the plastic molding (you have it wrapped around the outside of the plastic molding) and then tuck the ball into the crevice on top of the molding. This should pull it tighter in the corners and eliminate the wrinkles, sagging and air flow issues you mention.

Check out the install video, particularly starting at the 1:25 time mark.

Wrangler Accessories, Jeep Top, Wrangler Top

I did not but i feel better about my install, but that was helpful, I took mine off right now b/c I was working on my Top Cap Roof Lift today...

Silencer 08-29-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollingrock (Post 4131790)

The spider balls are NOT supposed to be wrapped AROUND the plastic molding in the front corners. If you watch the installation video that's posted on SpiderWebShade.com, you'll see that they call for the elastic to be slid UNDER the plastic molded so that it's not at all visible from the outside. If done correctly, the ball itself actually tucks very neatly into the top of the molding so it can't be seen at all. I strongly suggest you watch the video. It's VERY helpful!

UgaTyler 08-29-2013 07:14 AM

I have this exact top. I thought mine was lighter than in the photo but I love it.

UgaTyler 08-30-2013 08:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few shots of the grey! Almost looks white in the photo.