Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   tj rubicon tc (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/tj-rubicon-tc-264049.html)

OverkillYJ 08-19-2013 11:27 PM

tj rubicon tc
 
Is a tj rubicon tc a strait swap into a yj?

cheapjeep71 08-20-2013 09:43 PM

No it isn't. The mounting points are different.

Norcal_Chris 08-20-2013 10:41 PM

No


The 231 input shaft sticks out 1-1/8", the 241 sticks out 1-3/8", so the seal should be fine. the front yoke on the 231 sets back 1-7/16" from the face of the tc.(where it mounts to the tranny) . the 241 sets back 2". so the front ds will be longer by 9/16". the rear 231 yoke is 16-5/16" from the face. the 241 is 15-13/16". so the rear ds will be 1/2" longer

you can tap the weep hole in the tranny for a 3/8" nc bolt and put a bead of silicone around the tc to tranny mounting surface. Or plug it another way.

You may have to to some clearancing if you are using the stock tranny mount, It will hit the 241 in a spot. Or you can space it down a touch.
Someone that I wheel with did this same swap

c5wagner 08-20-2013 11:01 PM

Norcal Chris got to it first so I'll chime in on some more basic things. If you have your stock axles, then you also have to worry about the nv241or not having the vacuum switch to engage your front axle. Also, the shift arm on the 231 faces down and the 241 faces up, so the linkage would have to be fabbed up a bit.

OverkillYJ 08-21-2013 08:11 AM

Well I have solid axle swap in. Can't remember how long it has been since I had a stock length driveshaft front or back. I guess I would just need the 4wd bracket to fit for the shifter. not bad I guess if I find one cheap enough. I should be able to sell my tc pretty easy. I recently rebuilt it and if course have an sye.

c5wagner 08-22-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverkillYJ (Post 4103802)
Well I have solid axle swap in. Can't remember how long it has been since I had a stock length driveshaft front or back. I guess I would just need the 4wd bracket to fit for the shifter. not bad I guess if I find one cheap enough. I should be able to sell my tc pretty easy. I recently rebuilt it and if course have an sye.

Sounds good, clean up the tc and sell it, I hear the 4:1 low is well worth the swap. As for drive shafts, cjtatton on ebay has made me some really nice driveshafts in custom lengths. I'm going to have him make me more when I do my engine swap. It's best to give him a call 1-801-685-0056 and his name is curtis.

OverkillYJ 08-22-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c5wagner (Post 4106975)
Sounds good, clean up the tc and sell it, I hear the 4:1 low is well worth the swap. As for drive shafts, cjtatton on ebay has made me some really nice driveshafts in custom lengths. I'm going to have him make me more when I do my engine swap. It's best to give him a call 1-801-685-0056 and his name is curtis.

Yeah I had one of his shafts.

Is there a way to reduce the gear in the 231? Sounds like it may be less hassle to just do that.

Norcal_Chris 08-22-2013 10:43 AM

Teralow kit. It isnt as strong, is noisier, and more expensive. New they are 1100 or so.

Plus I know you like mud, and the teralow cant be spun high because the planetaries will blow up. The welds come off on the planetary housing. I t ook my old one apart and there are a bunch of small gears in there... cant beleive it survives.

c5wagner 08-22-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcal_Chris (Post 4108192)
Teralow kit. It isnt as strong, is noisier, and more expensive. New they are 1100 or so.

Plus I know you like mud, and the teralow cant be spun high because the planetaries will blow up. The welds come off on the planetary housing. I t ook my old one apart and there are a bunch of small gears in there... cant beleive it survives.

Ya, I know a guy who got the terelow kit and it was crap. I really want an atlas so I can have twin sticks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.