Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Need some locking storage advice (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/need-some-locking-storage-advice-264306.html)

BigRed12JK 08-21-2013 02:02 AM

Need some locking storage advice

I like to take my dslr with me whenever I can and lately, when I go paddle boarding, I want to have my camera with me just in case I see something at the beach. The problem is, there isn't a safe place to lock away a thousand dollars worth of camera gear in the Jeep while I'm 3 miles from shore. I've looked at products like the Bestop Instatrunk BUT, I have 100lb German Shepherd that likes to travel with me from time to time and I don't see myself unbolting and removing that trunk every time we go. Is there an alternative I may have missed?

jaybilly1706 08-21-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRed12JK (Post 4103295)
I like to take my dslr with me whenever I can and lately, when I go paddle boarding, I want to have my camera with me just in case I see something at the beach. The problem is, there isn't a safe place to lock away a thousand dollars worth of camera gear in the Jeep while I'm 3 miles from shore. I've looked at products like the Bestop Instatrunk BUT, I have 100lb German Shepherd that likes to travel with me from time to time and I don't see myself unbolting and removing that trunk every time we go. Is there an alternative I may have missed?

Have you tried looking at Tuffy Security Products. I have one of their consoles and I love it.

Neral22 08-21-2013 06:45 AM

Will it fit in this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009W8...sr=8-2&pi=SL75
Good luck.

ahsumtoy 08-21-2013 10:26 AM

Windows

Being a professional photography, I sometimes leave over $20k in camera gear in my Jeep. I have added more tint to the windows. All windows are totally dark and even the drivers and passenger windows are darker than what is permitted (knock on wood for a ticket). I make sure I place everything in the back area where no one can see in. I don't know of any locking locker big enough to put all my gear in. I also try never to go anywhere where I am not taking my gear with me.

derf 08-21-2013 05:20 PM

A Tuffy center console or glove box may be what you need.

I have the center console and it's cavernous. There's room in there for a good size DSLR and a couple of lenses and/or a few other things.

Gregbr 08-21-2013 09:20 PM

I carry a lot of camera gear around with me as well and sometimes will use one of the PacSafe mesh bags. They work ok although the bag needs to be sized right and done up tight otherwise it's still possible to get things out through the mesh itself. Here's one example of their 5 or so sizes:

Pacsafe C35L Camera Bag Protector

WhiskeyMike 08-21-2013 09:33 PM

Is the cubby area large enough? This secures it. JK Locking Cubby Cover for Jeep Wrangler, JK

Or consider getting a small lockbox or safe with holes in the bottom, and then attach to the tie down points in the rear. I would change the bolt to an 8.9 grade. Here's one lockbox, No. 30 Tool Box with Mounting Brackets | Top Mount Boxes| Northern Tool + Equipment. Or safe Amazon.com: First Alert 2025F Anti-Theft Safe, 0.28 Cubic Foot, Gray: Home Improvement

You might want to cover it in carpet so it's invisible and your dog doesn't slip when standing on it.

BigRed12JK 08-22-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregbr (Post 4106480)
I carry a lot of camera gear around with me as well and sometimes will use one of the PacSafe mesh bags. They work ok although the bag needs to be sized right and done up tight otherwise it's still possible to get things out through the mesh itself.

It's for an Incase Sling pack. I need to check the dims but the smallest size might work. Anchored to the trunk gives me some confidence.

Neral22 09-03-2013 04:56 PM

You can always disconnect the power lock to the hatch if you have it. I didn't so no need to worry for me. I built mine with my father with angle iron, wood, and vinyl.

Samsp99 09-03-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRed12JK (Post 4103295)
I have 100lb German Shepherd that likes to travel with me from time to time...

Is there an alternative I may have missed?

I think you answered the question in your original post. A 100lb dog is usually pretty good protection for stuff in a car.

Springtail 09-04-2013 06:02 AM

How about a locked pelican case and a kryptonite cable lock around the roll bar.

If you want stealth...how about a beat up padlocked metal cooler with the same cable lock. Some people are very protective of the their beverages.

Doc

Pinelogcreek 09-04-2013 07:08 AM

Same boat here, I use a surplus rocket can, painted with rustoleum beadliner, and lined with foam (think pelican case). The cable is attached via u bolt and the other end locked to the rear seat. On the front I used another u bolt for the lock. Both u bolts run through the handles. Pelican cases seem to scream money to me so I avoid them. This setup is still watertight/dust proof with a little silicone on the bolt heads.

Captain Ahab 09-04-2013 11:23 AM

I built a custom storage that depends on the tailgate lock. Pics on my profile.