Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rattle that sounds to be on passanger side (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rattle-that-sounds-to-be-on-passanger-side-264481.html)

sparksel1 08-21-2013 09:03 PM

Rattle that sounds to be on passanger side

At low Rpm's, there is a rattle that sounds to be on passenger side of the engine. I had got underneath and tapped around with a screw driver trying to find anything that sounds like a rattle. I have tried to manipulate the heat shields and just stumped. Thoughts? It's driving me nuts!

tab22092 08-21-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparksel1 (Post 4106411)
At low Rpm's, there is a rattle that sounds to be on passenger side of the engine. I had got underneath and tapped around with a screw driver trying to find anything that sounds like a rattle. I have tried to manipulate the heat shields and just stumped. Thoughts? It's driving me nuts!

Its called a jeep wrangler lol i think each one has its own specific noises it likes to make lol but on a serious note i think there are two tubes that come out of the firewall that sit rather closely to each other. Sometimes they are a little too close and rattle.

Lusus_Naturae 08-21-2013 09:28 PM

First make sure it's not inside. There are two silver HVAC lines that run behind the dash - you can see them when you take off the glove box to the left in back. They run next to eachother and sometimes will rattle. Get a piece of heat proof rubber hose and separate them. They do get hot so don't touch them after driving.

tab22092 08-21-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae (Post 4106508)
First make sure it's not inside. There are two silver HVAC lines that run behind the dash - you can see them when you take off the glove box to the left in back. They run next to eachother and sometimes will rattle. Get a piece of heat proof rubber hose and separate them. They do get hot so don't touch them after driving.

^^^ this was what I was talking about to clarify lol

sparksel1 08-26-2013 08:10 AM

Ok, sorry to be the bother. I installed two pieces of heat resistant rubber between the two metal pipes and that did not help what so ever. I have been underneath banging around on everything I can find and still no luck.

ohioviper 08-26-2013 08:19 AM

Does it do it all the time at low rpms while sitting still ? If so leave it running and try to pinpoint it.

sparksel1 08-26-2013 10:20 AM

It does not do it all the time. More when engine is warm than cold. Could not reproduce it while sitting still in neutral or in drive.

New2012JEEP 08-26-2013 11:44 AM

Mine has this rattle too, can't quite figure out what it is. I have been able to hit an area in complete silence. It seems to happen after depressing the brake, and hitting the gas. It sounds rotational, but only does it immediately after jeep starts moving, then goes away. It does sound like heat shields though.