Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   General Grabber 35" tires with Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/general-grabber-35-tires-with-rough-country-3-25-suspension-lift-264730.html)

Medic44 08-22-2013 10:32 PM

General Grabber 35" tires with Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift

2006 Wrangler X with stock wheels and tire holder. Issues? Concerns? Good?

hondamxer 08-22-2013 11:17 PM

your gonna have alot of people tell you that there are many issues with this, but ill just leave that up the them. they can go into detail.:popcorn:

OmniscientHiers 08-22-2013 11:21 PM

You're asking opinions of 35s on the rc 3.25 lift? Not sure how well that would fit...

:popcorn:

Owen_TJ 08-22-2013 11:47 PM

Short answer...

not going to fit and will rub
can't fit that wide on stock rim
Tailgate can't support it and will break

If you still go through with it:

Will need new axles
Will need to regear
Should get new brakes
Will need new steering
Will need more lift or at least new fenders and rear flat flares
Will need new rims or at the vey least some spacers

Couple other things...but yeah...others will chime in for sure

Jerry Bransford 08-22-2013 11:48 PM

A 3.25" lift is not tall enough for 35" tires for offroad use, that size is barely adequate for 33" tires. Not many are fans of the Rough Country suspension lifts, they ride as rough as their name would indicate.

Not to mention there is a lot to successfully running 35" tires beyond having enough suspension lift height. Strong enough axles (Dana 44 in the rear), stronger aftermarket steering, lower axle ratios to compensate for the tire's larger diameter, better brakes, etc. It's not easy or cheap to properly run 35" tires. :)

Medic44 08-23-2013 07:53 AM

Helpful note: I don't do a lot of serious off roading. Mostly want to beef up the look. Thanks for the input.

UnlimitedLJ04 08-23-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic44 (Post 4111397)
Helpful note: I don't do a lot of serious off roading.

who said anything about serious off-roading?

Medic44 08-23-2013 08:21 AM

I did. Find another forum for useless dbag remarks. Just need info.

Ironhead Jed 08-23-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic44 (Post 4111458)

unlimited's comment was pointing out a common misconception, the things mentioned are just as important if not more so for on-road travel

any lift, gears, brakes, steering will be safe enough on the trials in low speed scenarios, where the only person hindered by a broken part is the driver. its on-road where quality steering, brakes, and gears really shine. i'm not trying to say the stock stuff is ideal for off-road use, but its def not safe enough for on-road use with 35's

:hide:waiting for the claims that my statements are garbage and stock parts are just fine. I thought i could get away with some of it for a bit as well, until i upgraded and felt the difference

Neil F. 08-23-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic44 (Post 4111458)

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkk..........before the flames start, Medic44, you are new. Unlimited is one of the most technical people and gives tons of detailed advice all the time about how to "properly" setup a suspension for full capability. There is A LOT that really should be done to run 35's. I belive his point was pretty much that you will not be capable of much if not any off road. Serious is out of the question.

UnlimitedLJ04 08-23-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 4111478)
unlimited's comment was pointing out a common misconception, the things mentioned are just as important if not more so for on-road travel

bingo.

T2000J 08-23-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironhead jed (Post 4111478)

its on-road where quality steering, brakes, and gears really shine. I'm not trying to say the stock stuff is ideal for off-road use, but its def not safe enough for on-road use with 35's

x1000

Medic44 08-23-2013 09:24 AM

Better. That's what a "new guy" needs. Helpful info. Lifting Jeeps is not my specialty or a hobby I have much time for. Hence the inquiry here. Thanks again for the advice!

Owen_TJ 08-23-2013 09:45 AM

Well, same goes to you...dont make snap remarks when you dont understand where the poster is coming from.

Regardless, takes a lot to run 35's and your rig wont be up to the task without some $$$

read this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i-...-my-tj-751873/

MFsoftball22 08-23-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic44 (Post 4111701)
Better. That's what a "new guy" needs. Helpful info. Lifting Jeeps is not my specialty or a hobby I have much time for. Hence the inquiry here. Thanks again for the advice!

So if you got what you were looking for then what did you learn?

Not trying to be an a$$hole but want to make sure you are taking more away from this than just knowing you that the setup you presented is not a good one. That is what people like Unlimited are getting at. They not only want you to understand that it is not a good setup, but more than that they want you to understand why. noob usually say ok thanks, then a little while later they are asking a similar question on another thread. Knowledge is key.

Medic44 08-23-2013 10:28 AM

Last question: What are your tire recommendations for my Jeep with stock wheels and the 3.25" lift with no other updates?

UnlimitedLJ04 08-23-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic44 (Post 4111926)
Last question: What are your tire recommendations for my Jeep with stock wheels and the 3.25" lift with no other updates?

first off, i wouldn't recommend that 3.25" kit. stick with something that doesn't use coil spacers and lift springs together.

Owen_TJ 08-23-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 4111934)
first off, i wouldn't recommend that 3.25" kit. stick with something that doesn't use coil spacers and lift springs together.

Agreed

OP, go with a 3" suspension lift where you dont utilize coil spacers. If you go with a 3" lift, i'd recommend 32" tires in order to give room for flex. You could go with a budget kit and do a zone 4.25" which is very popular and is good quality and then throw some 33's on there but thats about the most you should go without modifying a lot of other things.

And before you ask, if you go with a 4" suspension lift, its about guaranteed you're going to need a SYE and driveshaft so again to keep cost down go with a 3" suspension or a 4.25" kit (that way you can throw the mml lift on there and not use a tcase drop).

NC Bear 08-23-2013 12:38 PM

If you don't want to do much and you want to run your stock wheels go for a 2 inch OME, or BDS lift. Slap a good set of 31's and roll on. After you have ran that for a while, then add a 1 inch motor mount lift, a 1 inch body lift, tummy tuck your skid and you can run 32 x 11.50's with ease. I would run these on 8 inch wheels though.

In MY opinion lift and tires go like this:

2'' 31's
3" 32's (alloy wheels help with weight)
4" 33's (really need to regear here)
5" 35's (you will need a lot of stuff to run 35's safely on or off the road with 35's)

I also recommend a SYE for any lift.

Medic44 08-23-2013 01:35 PM

Ok guys, going to give it one last shot here. The Rough Country 3.25" suspension is not a variable. It's going on. Thank you but no thank you for your opinions on that part. I want tire recommendations for that lift and most likely stock everything else for now.

MFsoftball22 08-23-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic44 (Post 4112496)
Ok guys, going to give it one last shot here. The Rough Country 3.25" suspension is not a variable. It's going on. Thank you but no thank you for your opinions on that part. I want tire recommendations for that lift and most likely stock everything else for now.

Considering the fact that you are the one asking for advice, I'm a little thrown off by the smarta$$ remarks. You asked a question and people are going to give you their opinins and personal experiences. If you dont want to hear it then don't ask. Go pay some 4X4 expert shop to give you answers you want to hear and stroke your ego so they can sell you that crappy lift with the biggest damn tires you want. If you want real experience answers with reasoning then listen to what people are telling you. If your set with that lift then fine, but you asked a very general question with a lot of different factors that come into play. They are mearly trying to give you a better understanding of what your options are.

And to answer your question I would say 32's are the best option. Especially cause we dont know what your current gearing and drivetrain is with the exception of having the 4.0L. Going with 33's could hinder your performance and drivability on the road if you have a bad driveline set up.

lordmike 08-23-2013 03:09 PM

My understanding is that lift height can largely irrelevant to your decision about tire size. My offroading gang all swear that you shouldn't go bigger than a 31" tire if you aren't doing a major overhaul of your drivetrain. For my money, I'm certain they are correct. I run 3.07 gears with 31" and even now it is kind of a turd. I can't imagine how bad bigger tires would be. What is your gear ratio?

Medic44 08-23-2013 03:09 PM

Thanks for that life altering revelation, I'll log that away. But the second paragraph after the novel is helpful. So thanks. Tip for the future though: not everybody wants to sift through pretentious crap to get what they're looking for. We know you're the hardcore "experts". Don't waste our time by trying to rub it in our faces. I couldn't care an ounce less about anything beyond what I ask you specifically. Mind blowing, I know. You all have a fantastic day. I'm out. Peace.

lordmike 08-23-2013 03:13 PM

Wow, that guy was awesome. I hope his 35's fall off.

MFsoftball22 08-23-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic44 (Post 4112724)
Thanks for that life altering revelation, I'll log that away. But the second paragraph after the novel is helpful. So thanks. Tip for the future though: not everybody wants to sift through pretentious crap to get what they're looking for. We know you're the hardcore "experts". Don't waste our time by trying to rub it in our faces. I couldn't care an ounce less about anything beyond what I ask you specifically. Mind blowing, I know. You all have a fantastic day. I'm out. Peace.

Hopefully out for good, but if you need more help please grace us with your presence again. Then we can try to give you more helpful information all for you to turn around and not use a bit of information we give you. We are only trying to help you protect your Jeep and your wallet.

Oh BTW not everyone is a hardcore offroader, myself being one who really isnt. You dont have to be an offroader to understand mechanics.

But until next time. :wavey:

KBR97 08-23-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

:rolleyes:

The tires you are choosing suck, the lift you have chose sucks more, your stock wheels won't work with 35's, and your stock tire carrier will bend with that weight. Go with 32's or maybe 33's but expect some rubbing. That pretty much sums up what you asked specifically in your title, and first post. Is that answer as straight forward as you would like it? If you would like to know more try doing a search and some more reading.
If the RC 3.25 lift is not a variable why was it mentioned?

MFsoftball22 08-23-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmike (Post 4112741)
Wow, that guy was awesome. I hope his 35's fall off.

Yup, I couldnt decide between suggesting 37's or bicycle tires. I decided to be somewhat nice and give some advice. LOL

Sccrbrg 08-23-2013 03:30 PM

Aw mangh.

I woOd defnatley IMo go witH rustys offrode lift! Much beeter and cheeper to!

lordmike 08-23-2013 03:32 PM

I think what he should do is put some sweet 35's in the rear but 25's in the front to give him amazing aerodynamics.

ztman 08-23-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

:flipoff: