Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   How to improve MPG? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/how-to-improve-mpg-264732.html)

Wrangler Maroon Marauder 08-22-2013 11:19 PM

How to improve MPG?

Hey guys I just had a question. How can I improve my mileage? And no I don't need derogatory answers like "get a Prius." I realize that its a jeep wrangler and the 4.0 doesn't get great mileage (14/17hwy) but there has to be some way to improve the MPG even if it's just 1 MPG more. I'd really appreciate any helpful suggestions.

elite56 08-22-2013 11:25 PM

Get a hard top and full doors. Then never take the hard top off. I'd imagine it would get you at least an extra .5-1 mpg.

OmniscientHiers 08-22-2013 11:26 PM

You'll still receive those answers. Go easy on the pedal is my best suggestion.

Jerry Bransford 08-22-2013 11:40 PM

Slow down & air your tires up a tad. Slowing down will give a dramatic improvement in mpg.

pyrilampes 08-22-2013 11:43 PM

Clean your intake check for bad alignment low tires get new spark plugs buy 87 octane. Check for error codes and get an air freshener

MarkGLHS 08-23-2013 02:23 AM

air the tires up, drive with no top on and full doors, get all the excess stuff out of the vehicle, get a good tune up, keep the vehicle clean and waxed, and if you have a 5-speed coast as much as possible in neutral......I am seeing consistent 18-18.5 mpg using these tips in 100% stop and go driving.

Atthehop 08-23-2013 06:37 AM

Your MPG is normal and the only way to improve it, to maybe 19 HWY, would to drive it really easy and not ever push it over the speed limit and on hills get into the truck lane. I drove a 100 mile RT commute for over 20 years and the best I could get was 19 MPG. Even the 18 wheelers passed me on hills. Do you have oversized tires your speedo may be off and to make an accurate you should do the following:

First thing to do is use a GPS and determine if your speedometer is accurate and if not the percentage it is off.

Now, fill the gas tank, record the odometer reading (or reset the trip odometer to Zero)

Drive the jeep until it is low, approx 1/8 tank.

Fill the tank and record the exact number of gallons it took to fill it.

Record the odometer reading and subtract the beginning mileage from it (or record the number of miles on the trip odometer)

Divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons it took to fill it back up. DO NOT omit the tenths if there were any.

Now do this a number of times and average it out.

If your speedometer is off multiply the number of miles driven by the percentage it is off and add it to the number of miles driven before dividing by the number of gallons.

Jhmace9 08-23-2013 07:22 AM

What does an air freshener have to do with this????

Kimi725 08-23-2013 07:34 AM

Don't you know its a proven fact that aor fresheners will improve mpg's? ;)

InvictusDecretum 08-23-2013 07:34 AM

Here's an entertaining post about stinger bumpers, airflow, and mpg
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/the...is-178903.html

Definitely an interesting read. Stingers look awesome either way, and I'm shopping for one right now ! Looking real hard at metalcloak.

ChaddG 08-23-2013 07:43 AM

all of this is good info.
use mobile 1 oil
put a k*n air filter in
I got better mpg with my soft top ironically.
get road tires for your Jeep

Big Sarge 08-23-2013 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

UnlimitedLJ04 08-23-2013 07:51 AM

first off, keep up on maintenance obviously: good air filter, fresh fluids, rotate the tires, etc. next, make the jeep as lightweight as possible: ditch the back seat and passenger seat, remove the carpet, ditch side steps, use full soft doors & fastback top, but you can't remove those because no top hurts aerodynamics. keep everything else stock - bumpers, body panels, no extra lights, no brush guard, no winch, factory aluminum wheels, keep small 29" tires with highway tread, etc. hypermile: always take as long as possible to accelerate and always shift before 2000-2400 rpms, keep speeds under 60-62mph, coast as much as possible, try to time red lights so you don't have to come to a complete stop. never fill the gas tank more than half way to reduce the weight you're carrying around. keep your foot off the skinny pedal as much as possible.

Basically, make your Jeep as lame as possible and drive like an old lady. You might get up to 19-20mpg hwy if you're lucky.

If you don't like those answers then get a damn Prius.

Atthehop 08-23-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 4111377)

YES, and it will never end.

Atthehop 08-23-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaddG (Post 4111373)
all of this is good info.
use mobile 1 oil
put a k*n air filter in
I got better mpg with my soft top ironically.
get road tires for your Jeep

OH NO, not another K*N advocate..........

SurfKaster 08-23-2013 08:01 AM

You're about average & better than many. Stay under 65mph & I found staying out of 5th under 45 helps too. Honestly you're not going to get much more out of her.

Kimi725 08-23-2013 08:46 AM

Oh my such meanness! I think it just takes some people getting used to the idea that while jeeps are awesome to look at and drive, they really aren't the most economical vehicles. I don't LIKE my mpg's but I also am used to driving a 5.4l 8 cyl ford. So the mpg's are just kinda one of those things. Would I like better certainly, but I know I am not going to get it.

I have been curious about mpg's as well but mostly out of concern that something else was wrong...there was. Maybe the OP just wasn't aware that jeeps run gas like most people change underwear.

Dusty Rhodes 08-23-2013 09:32 AM

Cold Air Intake, K*N, 3" exhaust with flow through muffler and resonator on the back. Performance chip, 5" wide tires aired to 50 pounds. Whale tail mounted on the rear of the hardtop. Lowered 8". Take the transfer case out and install an over-overdrive. Remove front fenders. Put a stinger on the front enclosed in fiberglass and match the angles with the hood. Rake the windshield about 60 degrees and remove the door handles and side mirrors.

AOR 08-23-2013 09:33 AM

Change all the fluids to synthetic. Reduce heat and parasitic loss in the drivetrain. And everything else that was suggested above. Well maybe not everything.

bostiguy 08-23-2013 10:02 AM

Avoid left turns...seriously.
UPS Makes No Left Turns In Quest to Deliver Sustainability; Q&A - Bloomberg

AOR 08-23-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostiguy (Post 4111843)

True! Less time idling is better overall mileage.

Wrangler Maroon Marauder 08-23-2013 10:27 AM

Ok guys calm down lol just thought I'd ask. I'm in college and taking trips home on the weekends so I thought it could be useful to see if anyone new a good way. My dad has a JK and he chipped it and put a cold air intake (2011 right before pentastar) and it improved his by 2 Mpg around town so u can't blame me for asking,

Jerry Bransford 08-23-2013 10:32 AM

Neither a chip nor a CAI should have had any effect on the mpg, despite what their advertising claims. A 2 mpg gain is HUGE & if a little different programming of the computer or a different air intake design could have done that, the factory would have JUMPED at doing so due to the immense pressure they are under to improve their CAFE (average fuel economy of all vehicles manufactured) as required by the feds.

Kimi725 08-23-2013 10:34 AM

What is this chip you speak of? I've never heard of it, or have heard of it by another name.

Jerry Bransford 08-23-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimi725 (Post 4111951)
What is this chip you speak of? I've never heard of it, or have heard of it by another name.

A chip is a computer chip that is attached to the main engine computer to change its programming. By itself, a chip won't improve mpg. They can sometimes improve HP at high engine RPMs like if you're racing your Jeep but around town, they don't do anything.

Ironhead Jed 08-23-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrangler Maroon Marauder (Post 4111925)
Ok guys calm down lol just thought I'd ask. I'm in college and taking trips home on the weekends so I thought it could be useful to see if anyone new a good way. My dad has a JK and he chipped it and put a cold air intake (2011 right before pentastar) and it improved his by 2 Mpg around town so u can't blame me for asking,

if you want to dramatically improve your mpg for long highway trips, draft a semi. not 5' from the back of one, but anything closer than 100' will have a reduction in drag and benefit in better mpg. i normally average 15 mpg but i tested this theory on a 300 mile trip and was averaging 18.5 mpg

mythbusters had an episode on it, an annoying one with all the disclaimers, but was packed with testing and data at various distances

Kimi725 08-23-2013 10:40 AM

So is it like a reverse governor? But for power not speed?
My jeep only races itself. :) my go fast foot is now a just go foot lol

MarkGLHS 08-23-2013 11:02 AM

I get 1-2 mpg more around town with no top on as opposed to having the hard top on......however I can see better aerodynamics at highway speeds w/ the hard top on but for stop and go driving the less weight the better (ie: keep the top at home).

pyrilampes 08-23-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes (Post 4111726)
Cold Air Intake, K*N, 3" exhaust with flow through muffler and resonator on the back. Performance chip, 5" wide tires aired to 50 pounds. Whale tail mounted on the rear of the hardtop. Lowered 8". Take the transfer case out and install an over-overdrive. Remove front fenders. Put a stinger on the front enclosed in fiberglass and match the angles with the hood. Rake the windshield about 60 degrees and remove the door handles and side mirrors.

I did this and got some ok additional mpgs. Then I had a vision. Next evening I saw a rainbow close by and raced to the end. The pot of gold is obviously a myth. But I caught a leprechaun, put him in a blender with a single barrel Irish whiskey. I pour about 2 tablespoons in the engine every 2 weeks and I hit about 40mpgs now.

NJO 08-23-2013 11:14 AM

Expect 15-20mpg tops on the highway at 55mph assuming proper gearing. If you want better gas mileage hook some recovery straps onto the back of a SEMI. ;) Otherwise buy a Prius. Jeeps are fantastic "do it all" utility vehicles with one single drawback. They are gas pigs. No way around it.