Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Grinding noise while shifting to 4x4 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/grinding-noise-while-shifting-to-4x4-265145.html)

Phil21311 08-24-2013 11:04 PM

Grinding noise while shifting to 4x4

I recently bought my first jeep. 2007 Unlimited Sahara and just to see how the 4x4 function worked I had it in neutral and shifted it into 4H and it made a grinding noise. I have no clue if that's normal. I put it in park and did the same thing and it went in fine. Did it screw something up when it made the grinding noise ?

3JKs1H1 08-24-2013 11:22 PM

Almost every transfer case in the 15 or so 4wd vehicles I have owned will grind if you try to force the tcase sitting in the driveway.

Drive down a straight road (as to not stress the case) and flip it in and out of 4H. With the vehicle moving, the tcase gears will mesh much smoother. You can go to an empty parking lot in 4H and turn slightly and you'll feel it start to bind - that lets you know it's working. Don't do this often, or do a tight circle because it stresses the driveline.

FWIW, I did front and rear brakes on a Chevy 3/4 ton today and it grinds trying to pop it into neutral to allow the rear wheels to spin. It's normal.

Phil21311 08-24-2013 11:26 PM

Okay cool. Thanks a lot ! I'm glad nothing is messed up. Just bought it on Wednesday. I woulda freaked out lol. Thanks again !

kcookuscg 08-25-2013 12:41 AM

I have the same jeep. So your saying its better to be moving when shifting into 4wd. This is my first 4wd and I thought you had to be stopped in neutral

mckey73 08-25-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcookuscg (Post 4117360)
I have the same jeep. So your saying its better to be moving when shifting into 4wd. This is my first 4wd and I thought you had to be stopped in neutral

Normally you should be able to shift in/out of 4hi while driving, just make sure the driveline isn't under too much of a load. Going into 4lo can be tricky, try stopping and putting the tranny in 'N', if that doesn't work shut off the engine then put it in 4lo. You'll figure it out, if you try to shift it somewhere it's not happy going you'll hear gears grinding. Just don't force it, unless you have no other choice.

kcookuscg 08-25-2013 12:54 AM

Alright thanks for the info!

Raspy 08-25-2013 12:57 AM

If you are shifting the Tcase and you pause in neutral, it will grind.

Take the load off the driveline, put the clutch in or shift the auto to N and be either stopped or moving very slowly. Then make one movement of the T case shifter to 4 low. Don't stop in Neutral. A clunk will probably be heard and that's fine.

Of course you can shift directly from 2 hi to 4 hi while driving, but not to 4 low.

When you pause in Neutral on the transfer case, you give the gears a chance to spin up and there is no synchro to help match them during the shift, like in the transmission. Just clunk your way on through.

If you do spend too much time in Neutral and want to avoid the grind, shut the engine off and complete the shift after a couple of seconds.

Phil21311 08-25-2013 06:11 PM

Thanks for the information ! I Appreciate it!