Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   North Carolina Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f73/)
-   -   New to NC; What are some mods that are't inspection friendly? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f73/new-to-nc-what-are-some-mods-that-aret-inspection-friendly-265293.html)

Tribefan 08-25-2013 06:30 PM

New to NC; What are some mods that are't inspection friendly?

I just moved to Charlotte at the end of June. Pretty soon I'll have to do my first state of NC inspection so I can get my NC plates. In Ohio we didn't have inspections like this, so can you guys give me some examples of what mods would get rejected when doing the NC inspection?

Right now the only one I have that I'm slightly concerned about is I cut off the 3rd brake light and replaced it with the Delta lug nut lights. Do you think that'll get dinged? What are some other potential ones?

Scott-CJ8 08-26-2013 09:30 AM

Yeah, the 3rd brake light might. Be sure you don't have any engine codes being thrown. Usually headers or oversized exhaust can mess 'em up. Lift and tires usually aren't an issue.
I moved here from Indiana, we didn't have any inspections at the time. Found out all the necessary stuff had been removed from my Suzuki. Bummer!
If you fail any area, you have 30 days to get it fixed and bring it back to the same inspection station and get re-inspected (you only pay for it once tho).

Nissantech 08-26-2013 03:04 PM

I'm passed inspection school in N.C. If I remember correctly 3rd brake lights were optional and the fact u have delta lug lights is great I would think you'll be alright

4DoorCrush 08-27-2013 05:50 AM

I don't even have a 3rd brake light

4DoorCrush 08-27-2013 05:56 AM

Tint on your front driver and passanger window over 35 %

Tribefan 08-27-2013 11:52 AM

So maybe my modified 3rd brake light won't be a problem like I was thinking. Cool.

4DoorCrush 08-27-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribefan (Post 4126026)
So maybe my modified 3rd brake light won't be a problem like I was thinking. Cool.

Shouldn't be

Jeep.chick 08-27-2013 12:34 PM

Don't have advice..
Just thought I'd welcome you to NC! :)

4DoorCrush 08-27-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4DoorCrush (Post 4126153)

Shouldn't be

Should be!!! Sorry

Tribefan 08-27-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep.chick (Post 4126163)
Don't have advice..
Just thought I'd welcome you to NC! :)

Thank you very much! :wavey:

Scott-CJ8 08-27-2013 03:29 PM

Only reason I mentioned it is because I had a camper shell on my PU truck, which had a brake light above the back window on the shell ... it didn't work, I didn't pass ...
Original equipment - they're kinda picky about it at times. (Can you reinstall the brake light just for the inspection?)

Tribefan 08-27-2013 03:50 PM

Not easily. If I were to reinstall it, I'd probably leave it on permanently instead of going through the hassle every year.

Nissantech 08-27-2013 04:08 PM

Oh yeah welcome to NC and yeah inspectors are picky. A smaller shop will not look at as much stuff cause their not out to gut your wallet when I worked at the dealer they would ding people for everything!

Scott-CJ8 08-28-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribefan (Post 4126895)
Not easily. If I were to reinstall it, I'd probably leave it on permanently instead of going through the hassle every year.

Well, you could give it a try as you have it now before you make any changes and see if it goes. If not, you've got 30 days to change it and get re-inspected. I'd try a smaller shop setup (like Simpson's in Huntersville).
If it doesn't look like you've altered it (remove all 3rd brake light hardware), they may not notice it - I mean come on, lots of vehicles don't have a 3rd brake light and Jeeps are kinda expected to be modded out.
Just my 2 cents here.

Tribefan 09-06-2013 07:08 AM

How about clear or smoked side marker lights that are on the front fenders? Would they ding you for those? My orange marker lights on gray fenders on a silver Jeep just stick out like a sore thumb to me.

4DoorCrush 09-06-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribefan (Post 4337689)
How about clear or smoked side marker lights that are on the front fenders? Would they ding you for those? My orange marker lights on gray fenders on a silver Jeep just stick out like a sore thumb to me.

I wouldn't think so