Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Best bike rack available? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/best-bike-rack-available-265858.html)

rla1999 08-27-2013 09:43 PM

Best bike rack available?

I am interested in getting a bike rack that can hold two bikes for my JK. What do you guys recommend? Something $150 or less if possible

Rita Wrangler 08-27-2013 10:26 PM

I have a Yakima it goes behind the spare tire ... If you have stock wheels it works perfectly .. If not it will not fit ... I bought a new bumper and tire carrier ( threads are longer ) and it fits perfectly

Rita Wrangler 08-27-2013 10:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 291537

rla1999 08-27-2013 10:41 PM

I just checked it out...looks good. Thx for your recommendation

Rita Wrangler 08-27-2013 10:47 PM

No problem glad I could pass on some info

Raiderfan001 08-27-2013 11:34 PM

I use a Thule 2 bike hitch rack. It was about $200.

MattK 08-28-2013 02:13 AM

I'm using the Thule SpareMe 963Pro. It's a spare tire carrier and will fit oversized tires as it comes with multiple parts to extend the length fromt he tire carrier to the rack. It has a built in cable lock and also has a lock on the rack to keep people from unscrewing the mount. When "locked" that piece free spins and you need to use the key to reconnect it so you can unscrew it.

I only use it for my own bike mostly and it does great. It can hold two bikes with a combined weight of 75lbs. I have a 21" Trek MTB Mamba 29er that's about 28lbs or so I guess.

The only thing is that the built-in cable lock will rattle inside the rack's frame where it sits so if you have a soft top you will hear it from time to time. Doesn't really bother me.

Link to Amazon for details: http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Spare-2-.../dp/B009NN6MN4

castlemore 08-28-2013 05:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a Thule - it's great

Hank Finkle 08-28-2013 11:23 AM

Thule hitch mount is the only way to go!

River Hill 08-28-2013 01:24 PM

Thule T2 is great. We got the extension and carry 4 bikes.

Rancho 08-28-2013 01:26 PM

Any suggestions on a hitch mounted one? I have a 37" tire (will go to 40's down the road) on a rear tire carrier and want to carry at some point 4 bikes. 2 adults, 2 kids. :flowers:

Phierce 08-28-2013 01:50 PM

1upUSA is by far the best hitch mount rack made.
I have had them all from Thule to Yakima. Those racks rust faster then Toyota frame rails.
Nothing compares to a 1up.

Rancho 08-28-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phierce (Post 4130685)
1upUSA is by far the best hitch mount rack made.
I have had them all from Thule to Yakima. Those racks rust faster then Toyota frame rails.
Nothing compares to a 1up.

Thanks for that info and the Toyota comment made me chuckle too! :rofl:

redbilly 08-28-2013 02:39 PM

The best bike rack...

2 Attachment(s)
Since that was the title of the thread, the first thing to note is that the best bike rack on the market can't be purchased for $150. You are sacrificing something to get a rack that cheap. In the case of the Thule Spare Me or the Yakima equivalent, you are sacrificing the fit to your Jeep and the mounting points to the bike.

Neither the Yakima nor Thule spare-tire-based rack system secure as well to your Wrangler as a hitch-mount rack. It is also insanely easy to remove and install a hitch-mount rack. Just one bolt to tighten or loosen.

The second sacrifice is the mount from the rack to the bike. A top-tube mount rack will scratch your bike and leave your bikes exposed to more damage in a rear-end collision. The only way to properly secure a bike behind your Jeep is with a hitch-mounted rack that holds the bike by its wheels. This is a picture of my Thule X2 rack. It is 3 years old; zero rust. You will spend $350 or more for it, but it will save you bike's paint job, and it will fit snugly in your receiver.

64Chevy 08-28-2013 03:18 PM

First of all, if you are really concerned about scratches, etc. the only perfectly safe place for a bike is inside. I have the Thule spare mounted rack on my JKU, and it works greats. Yes, it has probably caused a few frame scratches, but 1) less than my endos, slide outs, etc. and 2) its a Jeep, and scratches are expected.

redbilly 08-28-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64Chevy (Post 4130944)
First of all, if you are really concerned about scratches, etc. the only perfectly safe place for a bike is inside. I have the Thule spare mounted rack on my JKU, and it works greats. Yes, it has probably caused a few frame scratches, but 1) less than my endos, slide outs, etc. and 2) its a Jeep, and scratches are expected.

Yes, scratches are expected and welcome on my Jeep. Yes, they are fine to deal with on my 29'er. No, they are not tolerated on any of my road bikes. When your paint job costs three times what good rack does, just spring for the right rack. If you spend $1000's on mods for your Jeep, why nickel and dime your rack???

HK_Runner 08-28-2013 03:38 PM

The Thule T2 is great- not cheap. I have used two for ten years. Now I use the 1UPUSA...amazing rack. Not cheap but built in the US, light, convenient, and the best out there. Any solidly-built rack will work though. Just read reviews on mtbr.com.

redbilly 08-28-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner (Post 4131004)
The Thule T2 is great- not cheap. I have used two for ten years. Now I use the 1UPUSA...amazing rack. Not cheap but built in the US, light, convenient, and the best out there. Any solidly-built rack will work though. Just read reviews on mtbr.com.

Just popped on their website. That is one nice looking rack! :thumb:

mcoven 08-28-2013 03:46 PM

BTW, REI has a 20% off sale going on now through Labor Day on Thule & Yakima...

I just picked up a Yakima Doubledown Ace 4 Hitch Rack for right around $200 :thumb:

Phishe 08-28-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbilly (Post 4130806)
Since that was the title of the thread, the first thing to note is that the best bike rack on the market can't be purchased for $150. You are sacrificing something to get a rack that cheap. In the case of the Thule Spare Me or the Yakima equivalent, you are sacrificing the fit to your Jeep and the mounting points to the bike.

Neither the Yakima nor Thule spare-tire-based rack system secure as well to your Wrangler as a hitch-mount rack. It is also insanely easy to remove and install a hitch-mount rack. Just one bolt to tighten or loosen.

The second sacrifice is the mount from the rack to the bike. A top-tube mount rack will scratch your bike and leave your bikes exposed to more damage in a rear-end collision. The only way to properly secure a bike behind your Jeep is with a hitch-mounted rack that holds the bike by its wheels. This is a picture of my Thule X2 rack. It is 3 years old; zero rust. You will spend $350 or more for it, but it will save you bike's paint job, and it will fit snugly in your receiver.

Have you had any issue with the mount that holds the rear wheel of the bike (where the ratchet straps are attached) sliding? Twice now, I've had that happen, and it's caused the front wheel to come out of the plastic wheel holder, causing the handlebars to turn. Bad news. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?

HK_Runner 08-28-2013 04:15 PM

Are you pushing down the retaining bar enough on the front tire and close enough to the fork? It should not move much (or at all) that way. Post a pic of how you mount the bike on it...mounted. I have used the Sportworks T2 and Thule T2 since the early 2000s and never had that happen.

SpartanGA 08-28-2013 04:59 PM

I was just looking for this same info. My concern with a hitch mount is the rack deep enough to clear my 35" spare tire? Are there adapters or brands that have a long enough hitch mount arm?

Chx beach 79 08-28-2013 05:01 PM

I saw a guy who just strapped 2 bikes to his spare tire with no bike rack at all. It actually looked sturdy, I wish I took a pic of it. It was a bigger tire atleast 33-35 inch tire. I drove behind him for a few miles and they were fine!

HK_Runner 08-28-2013 05:02 PM

Especially with a stock hitch and not a longer one, you will need an adapter. They are easy to find.

rla1999 08-28-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 (Post 4128679)
I use a Thule 2 bike hitch rack. It was about $200.

Great pic, thanks. I ll check this out online

rla1999 08-28-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattK (Post 4128929)
I'm using the Thule SpareMe 963Pro. It's a spare tire carrier and will fit oversized tires as it comes with multiple parts to extend the length fromt he tire carrier to the rack. It has a built in cable lock and also has a lock on the rack to keep people from unscrewing the mount. When "locked" that piece free spins and you need to use the key to reconnect it so you can unscrew it.

I only use it for my own bike mostly and it does great. It can hold two bikes with a combined weight of 75lbs. I have a 21" Trek MTB Mamba 29er that's about 28lbs or so I guess.

The only thing is that the built-in cable lock will rattle inside the rack's frame where it sits so if you have a soft top you will hear it from time to time. Doesn't really bother me.

Link to Amazon for details: Amazon.com: Thule Spare Me 2-Bike Spare Tire Carrier: Sports & Outdoors

Great info. Thanks. A lot of people seem to use this brand

rla1999 08-28-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Finkle (Post 4130275)
Thule hitch mount is the only way to go!

It would seem a hitch bike rack would be safer. At least it seems that way

rla1999 08-28-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbilly (Post 4130806)

I said $150 because i had no idea there were so many different types and prices. After seeing the pics posted i realized i need to spend more on this. Yours looks great.

rla1999 08-28-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner (Post 4131004)

Great info, thanks. I will check this out

TwoNin9r 08-28-2013 07:06 PM

thule 2 bike... bought it the day i bought the jeep. 30 minutes or so to secure it and i can open the gate with 2 bikes on it (albeit race bikes, though i don't open it too wide, just in case, although i'm sure it'd be fine)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps68915ecf.jpg