Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Swr

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dancin1 
#1 ·
Good morning folks. Got a problem with my CB. Everything is installed as per directions, and with my SWR meter inline, I can get no closer than a 1:3.3 ... ? I have a Midland radio and a Firestick II antenna. I've tried adjusting the tip out then in and it doesn't seem to matter, still same results. Any ideas ?

#2 ·
Above 3 is almost always an installation problem. It is highly likely your insulating washer on your antenna mount is installed upside down, crushed, or missing entirely.

Posted this week in a thread about this exact thing in this exact forum...

View attachment 291715
The insulated shoulder washer is a nylon piece that separates ground from hot. It is essential that it is installed properly.

If your mount looks like that, though, you likely have no bond between the mount and Jeep because of paint, removing paint from the contact area will resolve that (but a quick way to check that is clipping big jumper cables, not the 'emergency kit' type, to the frame and mount - improvement means the mount has no/inadequate bonding).

#3 ·
Thanks Blueridge. I took the entire thing apart again and verified it was just the way the diagram shows, which is the same as the Firestik II came with and it is right. Continuity where I should have continuity and no continuity where I shouldn't, also from FirestickII instructions. I made sure the mounting bracket was grounded also. I'm using the firering cable and the raised portion of it is where it's supposed to be, had a firestick II spring, and removed it and added another ground wire for the bracket and no difference...SWR 1:3.3

#4 ·
The image I posted is for an SO-239 type mount. When using a firering, both sides must be insulated from ground with a washer... Confirm?

#5 ·
Actually, the connector of the firering has a shoulder also that has to face the mount. It faces the shoulder of the nylon washer above the mount. the two shoulders fit in the hole for the bolt to attach to the threaded adapter, to insulate.

#8 ·
Well, nothing I did made any difference, so I researched CB shops in the Orlando area and came up with one name over and over. Smokey's CB Shop in Sanford. Made an appointment, went there, and he went step by step and found that the combination of the firestick ll's firering coax and the length of it and the standard PL-259 was the culprit. Abandoned the firering coax entirely for a standard coax and that was the problem, also keep the coax as long as you can, i know have 12' and some of it is coiled up, also not a good situation, but, necessary. $35.00 later for parts and labor I was on the air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.