Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Locker and Regear at the same time? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/locker-and-regear-at-the-same-time-265978.html)

uhfive 08-28-2013 01:50 PM

Locker and Regear at the same time?
 
Is there a difference in gears with a locker and ones without?
When I had the old TJ I would find myself needing a locker on the trails quite a bit. I just recently traded up to the JK and admittedly it hasn't seen much trails yet, but I have a good feeling a locker in in the cards. 35's would probably be next and with those come a regear, from what I have seen some R&P sets say they are for the "Rubicon" and others don't differentiate. I planned on just doing an Aussie locker up front and didn't really see a need for a rear locker (YET), but would prefer not to have to re-buy new gears down the road.

gorillahydrographics 08-28-2013 03:13 PM

If your going to add lockers I say regear. your going to be in there anyway.

mallaki 08-28-2013 03:24 PM

I guess it all comes down to money. To re-gear, its approximately $1K for both axels. to add Yukons Air lockers (front and rear), compressor and switches, it would bring the total closer to $4K

gorillahydrographics 08-28-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallaki (Post 4130769)
I guess it all comes down to money. To re-gear, its approximately $1K for both axels. to add Yukons Air lockers (front and rear), compressor and switches, it would bring the total closer to $4K

4k? Really?

I can get gears for about $600 front and rear and A rear Eaton locker for about $900....maybe $5-600 to install. Your already replacing the spider for the locker so the labor for the gears shouldnt be any higher or much higher.

I would say you could do both for $2200 or less.

Daniel_M 08-28-2013 04:03 PM

$4K is not too far off. My re-gear cost $1200 total parts and labor. The D44 Eaton E Locker is garbage so I wouldn’t go that route. Yukon Zip lockers (ARB equivalent) front and rear will cost close to $900 a piece plus add OBA and the installer to run all that hose and wire. That $4K is parts AND labor. Maybe closer to $3500

-Dan

Daniel_M 08-28-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhfive (Post 4130529)
Is there a difference in gears with a locker and ones without?
When I had the old TJ I would find myself needing a locker on the trails quite a bit. I just recently traded up to the JK and admittedly it hasn't seen much trails yet, but I have a good feeling a locker in in the cards. 35's would probably be next and with those come a regear, from what I have seen some R&P sets say they are for the "Rubicon" and others don't differentiate. I planned on just doing an Aussie locker up front and didn't really see a need for a rear locker (YET), but would prefer not to have to re-buy new gears down the road.

To answer your question though, no the R&P aren't differrent. The Aussie is cheap and easy to install so don't expect it to add mor labor cost. It is smart to do the rear too if you see yourself getting one in the future, the labor cost is the same and why pay twice. However if you think you may not want one then for go it.

I had 5.13 installed with an Aussie up front, teraflex diff covers, AEV Procal, gaskets all for $1200, parts and labor.

-Dan

gorillahydrographics 08-28-2013 04:10 PM

Yes maybe front and rear locker. The OP was only considering front.

Personaly I am only going to do the a rear locker and will probably go with Power Trax No-Slip.

The Eaton locker from my research are right up there with ARB.

I did find this quote on the Zip lockers

Quote:

The Zip Locker (imported by Yukon/Randy’s R&P) is an imitation of an old ARB design and is a poor substitute for the new ARB. It may be somewhat cheaper in price than an ARB, but we don’t see the benefit especially if a failure causes collateral damage to gears, and other internal parts.
Everyone has their preferences I guess. Couple guys in my group run Eaton and they have not had any issues.

Getnoff 08-28-2013 04:41 PM

If ur regearing anyway, I would do the rear. Would save about $600 in labor and fluid. If ur not sure u will get a rear, and only an auto up front, u can do that urself easily for $300. In fact, a shop probably wouldn't charge any extra labor for an auto...its that quick and easy once its apart. But def consider doing something in back...air, elect, etc depending on what ur goal is and funds r.
Troy
I have a Spartan in front and nothing rear and it does wonders. Really. I am not sure I will even lock the rear now. But, saying that, I do wish I had splurged and locked rear when I regeared. Wife had me on a budget, and I fell into the trap of thinking just do it later! Hey, she DID let me blow 10k!!! Lol

Daniel_M 08-28-2013 04:48 PM

The Eaton for the D30 is a great unit. Right up there with all the good ones. However, the Eaton for the D44 is a weak design. It is known. See Dynatrac’s post http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48074

The Yukon is just as reliable as an ARB and hardly a “poor substitute”. The ARB fanboys and vendors are quick to shoot down the notion of another great air locker on the market.

-Dan

Daniel_M 08-28-2013 04:50 PM

What Do You Know About Eaton ELocker's? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK ForumEaton E-Lockers Dana 30-44 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

-Dan

uhfive 08-28-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M (Post 4130889)
To answer your question though, no the R&P aren't differrent. The Aussie is cheap and easy to install so don't expect it to add mor labor cost. It is smart to do the rear too if you see yourself getting one in the future, the labor cost is the same and why pay twice. However if you think you may not want one then for go it.

I had 5.13 installed with an Aussie up front, teraflex diff covers, AEV Procal, gaskets all for $1200, parts and labor.

-Dan

Too bad you're not closer because I would hand you $1200 for all that right now...I was actually thinking 4.56 gears though. What brand of R&P did you go with? I don't know much about them, but have found front and rear "Alloy USA" brand with the "overhaul" kit for $660 shipped (Jeep Wrangler JK Gear and Install Kit Package (Front/Rear) - Ring and Pinion Gear Sets - Axle - Powertrain). Not sure I would even need the "overhaul" kit considering the Jeep has less than 2100 miles on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getnoff (Post 4131013)
If ur regearing anyway, I would do the rear. Would save about $600 in labor and fluid. If ur not sure u will get a rear, and only an auto up front, u can do that urself easily for $300. In fact, a shop probably wouldn't charge any extra labor for an auto...its that quick and easy once its apart. But def consider doing something in back...air, elect, etc depending on what ur goal is and funds r.
Troy
I have a Spartan in front and nothing rear and it does wonders. Really. I am not sure I will even lock the rear now. But, saying that, I do wish I had splurged and locked rear when I regeared. Wife had me on a budget, and I fell into the trap of thinking just do it later! Hey, she DID let me blow 10k!!! Lol

The labor isn't a huge concern with a lot of the guys in my local club doing to regearing themselves, 3 local shop owners that are pretty active in our club, and everyone always being down to provide a helping hand and oversight I am thinking of tackling the task myself.
Funds are a concern, and truthfully I stay away from some of the difficult trails so I don't see a rear locker being necessary...yet. Once the Jeep is paid off and it really becomes a toy for me, I'll be saying something completely different.
How do you like the Spartan, and what differentiates it from the Aussie?

Daniel_M 08-28-2013 07:22 PM

I went with Yukon. I ordered from Jason at Krawl Offroad. His price was just south of $600 shipped for master kits and the gear set. You may need the master overhaul kits cause it is easy to foul up the bearings on install. Better you got them.

Also if I am not mistaken, I don't believe any of the major gear manufacturers make their product in the USA, so if you were going with Alloy USA thinking they are made here, you may be mistaken (or I may be).

I wouldn't suggest installing the gears yourself. Takes some specialty tools and the proper torque, backlash, shimming etc...If you don't know what any of that is then it could pose a problem.

-Dan

JeepHerz 08-28-2013 07:58 PM

Just to clarify- you do know gears are different per axle? Ie: D30 and D44?
From a wheeling standpoint- I have a rear ARB, installed with my 4.56 re-gear (G2)- and its plenty. I'd say I do the tough stuff- mostly rock crawling- but not the crazy stuff. A front locker would be nice- but its not even on my list. You can have a lot of fun and hit a lot of trails with only one locker- or even none. I agree it makes sense to add both while you're in there- but if the $$$ doesn't magically appear in your wallet don't lose sleep over it.
And I also wouldn't recommend self install unless you're very experienced mechanically and have a well stocked garage. Tools cost us a about $200- and my husband modifies everything we own. His tools have their own tools. If you have a buddy or club help you- make sure its someone whom you trust IMPLICITLY. It ain't easy.

Getnoff 08-28-2013 08:30 PM

I love the Spartan, on and off road. On road, it does have a slight wander feel...like a jeep! That it didnt have prior. And the clicking on tight turns draws some attention from bystanders, or wives in jeep! Works perfectly off road. Best $275 I have spent on Jolly Green. Very easy install also.
Troy

BB1857 08-28-2013 09:06 PM

I have been doing some thinking on this myself and have decided to do my regear now then next year do front and rear Ox air lockers. If you haven't seem them you should check them out because they are really slick. I have a mechanic friend who is going to help and basically do the install(I will be there for moral support) so that helped me make the decision. I knew I needed to skid my jeep and came to the conclusion that if I'm locked and not skidded it could get me in a lot of trouble. So I will save the 1600 for the lockers and get my skids soon and regear now to 4.56!!

cantab27 08-28-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB1857 (Post 4131835)
I have been doing some thinking on this myself and have decided to do my regear now then next year do front and rear Ox air lockers. If you haven't seem them you should check them out because they are really slick. I have a mechanic friend who is going to help and basically do the install(I will be there for moral support) so that helped me make the decision. I knew I needed to skid my jeep and came to the conclusion that if I'm locked and not skidded it could get me in a lot of trouble. So I will save the 1600 for the lockers and get my skids soon and regear now to 4.56!!

yep on the ox........blew me 30 up so threw a ox in there ....jeep has already been re geared ...sweet locker but im on the cable ...keep it simple being only reason ..

uhfive 08-29-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M (Post 4131484)
I went with Yukon. I ordered from Jason at Krawl Offroad. His price was just south of $600 shipped for master kits and the gear set. You may need the master overhaul kits cause it is easy to foul up the bearings on install. Better you got them.

Also if I am not mistaken, I don't believe any of the major gear manufacturers make their product in the USA, so if you were going with Alloy USA thinking they are made here, you may be mistaken (or I may be).

I wouldn't suggest installing the gears yourself. Takes some specialty tools and the proper torque, backlash, shimming etc...If you don't know what any of that is then it could pose a problem.

-Dan

I've worked with Jason before, great business for sure and the free shipping on most of the site isn't bad. Only question I got is, since I have the stock 3.21 gears, KOR says I need a new carrier. If I understand correctly the Aussie lockers do not replace the carrier, but just fits inside or it...right? If that is the case, are there any lockers that fully replace the carrier? With the added cost of replacing that may put one like the OX closer in price...if it is a carrier/locker combo, plus the OX comes with a new diff cover.

cantab27 08-29-2013 01:24 AM

hit jeff up

Rockridge 4wd Call 888-411-8493

good man and went outta his way to ship my one down here in new Zealand ...covers are a bit of beefing gear......

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/r...64559575_n.jpg

Creeperjk 04-03-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M (Post 4130889)
To answer your question though, no the R&P aren't differrent. The Aussie is cheap and easy to install so don't expect it to add mor labor cost. It is smart to do the rear too if you see yourself getting one in the future, the labor cost is the same and why pay twice. However if you think you may not want one then for go it.

I had 5.13 installed with an Aussie up front, teraflex diff covers, AEV Procal, gaskets all for $1200, parts and labor.

-Dan

Insane cheap..

The cheapest I found to do my gears with a spartan front lunch box 1250


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.