Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   What size high lift jack? And what kind of jack? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/what-size-high-lift-jack-and-what-kind-of-jack-266050.html)

Bigdogbigjeep 08-28-2013 06:35 PM

What size high lift jack? And what kind of jack?

I have a 3.5" lift and 35" tires. What size jack should I get?
And... what kinds of jacks should I be buying? Meaning, my jeep sees a little modest mud and rocks as it is my main drive. So breaking it isn't in the forecast but I would like to play around some.
The jack is mostly for changing a tire if I were to get a flat and a possible recovery, but I doubt it.
Silly question, do tires that large go flat as easily as a normal vehicle tire would? Or am I over worried? This is my first real jeep. I have off road experience with stock jeeps all my life but not on anything built up a little.

Thank you!

Sheila

Neral22 08-28-2013 07:01 PM

48 should be fine. I got the 60 first and returned it, very unwieldy, awkward, and difficult to mount. The hilift is what I got just as the name is good and not much more money than a generic.

kash 08-28-2013 07:11 PM

I was thinking about getting the 42 since it wont hang over the hard top

n00g7 08-28-2013 07:17 PM

Hi-lift isn't what you want for changing a flat on the road. Block of wood and stock jack or better bottle jack is what you want. I use my hi-lift to change my tires all the time, but only in my driveway where I throw a jack stand under the axle after I have jacked up on the tire using the lift mate....

03SVT 08-28-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 4131643)
Hi-lift isn't what you want for changing a flat on the road. Block of wood and stock jack or better bottle jack is what you want. I use my hi-lift to change my tires all the time, but only in my driveway where I throw a jack stand under the axle after I have jacked up on the tire using the lift mate....

I was wondering the same, it would seem like only having a hilift holding up the jeep while trying to put on a 80+lb tire is a problem waiting to happen. Block of wood for supporting the factory mount definitely seems more stable

n00g7 08-28-2013 07:32 PM

You also have to jack up the distance of the entire droop in the suspension to even get the tire off the ground, it's straight dangerous. I lost the part for my bottle jack to turn it with a load on it, so I'll lift on my tire using the hi-lift and lift mate then throw the bottle jack under as a jack stand. But to use the hi-lift ton it's own isn't really feasible. Factory bottle jack will accommodate 35's on flat ground anyways too...

n00g7 08-28-2013 07:37 PM

I'd suggest watching the videos the Aussies put on YouTube for the various purposes of owning a hi-lift. You'll know when you find them, they talk funny. I have one because I have used it, and quite often, but it's just not for what you're thinking you're gonna do with it. Most recently I bent up my tailpipe, wedged the lift plate at the back of my jeep into the bumper and jacked on a strap wrapped around the tailpipe to get it off the ground.

I have a 48 and it lays right across the back behind the rear seat between the tailgate.

03SVT 08-28-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 4131706)
You also have to jack up the distance of the entire droop in the suspension to even get the tire off the ground, it's straight dangerous. I lost the part for my bottle jack to turn it with a load on it, so I'll lift on my tire using the hi-lift and lift mate then throw the bottle jack under as a jack stand. But to use the hi-lift ton it's own isn't really feasible. Factory bottle jack will accommodate 35's on flat ground anyways too...

good to know that the factory jack will work with 35s; now I won't have to carry a block around with me.

n00g7 08-28-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03SVT (Post 4131995)
good to know that the factory jack will work with 35s; now I won't have to carry a block around with me.

Ahh Don't quote me on it, I'd carry the block anyways as I have a TJ so I haven't checked the JK one. Guess I'm lost. Maybe buy the hi-liftmbase accessory and you're good to go :). Some piece of mind using the hi-lift too IMO.

Base and lift-mate have both been useful

03SVT 08-28-2013 09:04 PM

alright, well I'll go out and check, I didn't even think it was a possibility

n00g7 08-28-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03SVT (Post 4132161)
alright, well I'll go out and check, I didn't even think it was a possibility

I jacked my engine up with it... Under the axle and it will take you pretty high