Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   measuring lift height... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/measuring-lift-height-2662.html)

TJeffro 08-17-2006 12:43 PM

measuring lift height...

I was wondering how much lift I had on the TJ I just bought. What is the easiest way to measure the height? I would also need the stock measurements for a TJ (mine is a 99). If anyone could help me on this, I would greatly appreciate it! :D

Also, currently I believe I have close to 32" tires on my Jeep and have a 4 banger inside. I have plenty of power going up hills, and it seems to have no trouble turning those tires. Does that sound like it could have been re-geared? The previous owner knew what he was doing (installed on-board air, the lift, etc...). Would there be a label somewhere on the diff that I would be able to check? Would I have to pull the diff covers? Thanks for the help...

One more thing... Upon startup in the mornings, I get a quick and relatively loud screech, sort of like a power steering screech. The fluid levels were just refilled and look fine... any ideas? Thank you much!

4Jeepn 08-17-2006 01:35 PM

Bone stock 97 TJ with 30" tires is @18.5" at the bottom of the body just behind the front driver's side body flare. The little one.

As for the sounds in the morning.. check your serpintine belt might need adjustment.

TJeffro 08-17-2006 10:23 PM

thanks 4Jeepn... i will measure tomorrow, just to get an idea... as for the screech, what would i be looking for in the serpantine belt adjustment?

hardy1531 08-18-2006 04:45 PM

make sure the belt is taught (sp?) but not too tight. if it has any play in it that is bad.

spdkilz02 08-18-2006 05:35 PM

or it may even be the idler pulley that keeps tension on the belt. even the belt itself is drying out and that is what is making the noise.

TJeffro 08-18-2006 11:11 PM

the belt is fairly new. thats one of the reason i recognized the care the previous owner took. it has a little play, but not a whole lot... i gave it a tug, and it pulled and turned a little, but not enough to say. "wow thats a lot of play"...
would a little lube on the pulleys be a good idea? the entire jeep must have sat for a little while, eveything seemed to be stiff on the jeep when i bought it, and the silicone spray and 3 in 1 has gone a long way. i have never oiled the idler pulleys... i dont even know if thats a good idea... any thoughts?

TJeffro 08-18-2006 11:14 PM

oh and as for the lift height, i would need a measurement from an axle or something, one that would not include the height of the tire... does that make sense? any info is great! thanks!

4Jeepn 08-19-2006 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJeffro
oh and as for the lift height, i would need a measurement from an axle or something, one that would not include the height of the tire... does that make sense? any info is great! thanks!

Also check your power steering fluid for the sound you hear in the morning..as it might be low. As for the measurement, 30's are stock on some jeeps. and picking a body point is the best way to go for comparison. Thus just tell me what tire size you have and what the inches are to the bottom of the body behind the front fender and I can tell ya what lift ya have.

mrbigjeep 08-19-2006 08:12 AM

yeah let us know cause i did some stock measurements earlier before i put new tires on

TJeffro 08-21-2006 10:36 AM

Ok i measured the height of the body at the bottom of the passenger side panel just below the passesnger door. the height was 22 1/2". its a 99. my tires are 265/75/r15. anyone know what lift height my jeep is sitting? thanks!

mrbigjeep 08-21-2006 12:57 PM

i'm pretty positive that you have a 3 inch lift because i put 32's on also with no lift and it was 18" before (with stock tires) from the rocker panel to the ground and then when i put the 32's on it went up to 19 1/2" so since you also have 32's and yours is 22 1/2" then with the same size tires yours measures 3" over mine...so you have a 3" lift...get it?? if we both had 32's with no lift then it would be 19 1/2" and yours is 3" over a stock tj with stock suspension with the same size tires (so tire size isn't a factor) so you must have a 3" lift