Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Dash vs rain (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/dash-vs-rain-266200.html)

Meshugga 08-29-2013 10:46 AM

Dash vs rain
 
How vulnerable are YJ dashboards to rain? I live in Arizona and we get some pretty heavy thunderstorms. I don't have windows for my half doors and I really don't like running full doors if I don't have to. So far I haven't had any problems but my wife said it rained really hard last night and she was worried about it. I have a brief top that I keep on.

Unfortunately I can't park it in the garage :/

yj-onthecape 08-29-2013 10:53 AM

I live on cape cod and get lazy sometimes and dont put my top back on and have driven through mega rain storms and have had it out all night from a rain storm passing by late at night and havent had any problems at all , but thats just me

87 Florida YJ 08-29-2013 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree. Ninety per cent of the time my jeep is topless and sometimes I get caught in torrential rains down here with no problems. This jeep is basically immune to the elements. Initially, I made this piece for a little security when I'm away from my jeep but found an additional benefit when the rain rolls through because the canvass is waterproof. Whenever I leave my ride outside at night I keep this on. Yes, I know the invasion star boarders on hokey but it fits the military theme and makes me smile:rofl:

2xs 08-29-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 4134054)
I agree. Ninety per cent of the time my jeep is topless and sometimes I get caught in torrential rains down here with no problems. This jeep is basically immune to the elements. Initially, I made this piece for a little security when I'm away from my jeep but found an additional benefit when the rain rolls through because the canvass is waterproof. Whenever I leave my ride outside at night I keep this on. Yes, I know the invasion star boarders on hokey but it fits the military theme and makes me smile:rofl:

What is that hanging on your keys?
I had one of those long straps with a clip and it caused me to lock my keys in my house one day when i got caught on the door knob and swung my keys inside when I was leaving the house.

Never again...

Oh, for light rain I dont worry, but I have a hard top and full doors for winter.

87 Florida YJ 08-29-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xs (Post 4134088)
What is that hanging on your keys?

I use a single key for the jeep so the braid makes it easier for me to find around the house. Definitely a little trick you will use when you're my age:dance:

harleydragon 08-29-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 4134127)
I use a single key for the jeep so the braid makes it easier for me to find around the house. Definitely a little trick you will use when you're my age:dance:

I thought it was a kill switch like jetskis have so that when you were jumping ( like in your avatar) and got thrown out it would kill the engine..:whistling:

incizion 08-29-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon (Post 4134148)
I thought it was a kill switch like jetskis have so that when you were jumping ( like in your avatar) and got thrown out it would kill the engine..:whistling:

:rofl::popcorn::rofl:

87 Florida YJ 08-29-2013 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I knew you would be confused little Dragon so here's a pic of the other end. Looks familiar huh?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

harleydragon 08-29-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 4134195)
I knew you would be confused little Dragon so here's a pic of the other end. Looks familiar huh?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I noticed that you are still carrying those binoculars around too.Haven't the husbands in the neighborhood caught onto you yet ??:angel:

87 Florida YJ 08-29-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon (Post 4134221)
I noticed that you are still carrying those binoculars around too.Haven't the husbands in the neighborhood caught onto you yet ??:angel:

Don't worry about the other husbands and just be glad I don't live closer to you:thumb:

harleydragon 08-29-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 4134241)
Don't worry about the other husbands and just be glad I don't live closer to you:thumb:

oh,I get the keychain now..It's your graduation tassel..Now that you graduated,you think you can do everybodys homework:D

Fabrokoner 08-29-2013 12:10 PM

I don't really cover mine and I haven't had any problems. Course I've only owned it since April.

Got caught yesterday in a torrential downpour on the highway. Safari top (with a ten inch hole) and no doors. My windshield gasket is bad and water gets in runs down thru the dash and comes out by the passenger speaker. Water was pouring out like an open faucet and the entire rest of the interior got soaked. I didn't have any electrical problems.

If she had a pontoon and outboard I'd take er out on the open sea without worrying bout the electrics.

wasomma 08-29-2013 12:31 PM

I left my top down in winter, the dash has had about a half inch of ice over it. It has had a serious amount of water washed into it. The only issues I have had have been with my aftermarket radio. With a little modification and protection you can make them more or less water resistant (use common sense here). I zip tied all the wires as high up and far back into the dash as possible. Make sure your seals are good along the top of the dash and you won't have any issues with water.

87 Florida YJ 08-29-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon (Post 4134264)
oh,I get the keychain now..It's your graduation tassel..Now that you graduated,you think you can do everybodys homework:D

I knew you would think its for doing homework.:rofl:

2xs 08-29-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon (Post 4134264)
oh,I get the keychain now..It's your graduation tassel..Now that you graduated,you think you can do everybodys homework:D

sex whip? for those who enjoy the midget porn nights...

harleydragon 08-29-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xs (Post 4134593)
sex whip? for those who enjoy the midget porn nights...

okay,everything makes more sense now..that's the reason for wanting badboy...it's tall enough that he thinks the midget girls won't be able to get away from him..I should have remembered that he always has a plan..:dance:

clull05rubi 08-29-2013 02:36 PM

Ive been told jeep dashes are sealed. U should b able 2 spray it with a garden hose and nothing go wrong. I'm not 100%on that so wuldnt suggest trying it

harleydragon 08-29-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clull05rubi (Post 4134728)
Ive been told jeep dashes are sealed. U should b able 2 spray it with a garden hose and nothing go wrong. I'm not 100%on that so wuldnt suggest trying it

somebody told you wrong..they do hold up pretty good to moisture but are not waterproof


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.