Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   I wrecked my baby! advice?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/i-wrecked-my-baby-advice-26697.html)

CVFD76 02-15-2009 01:53 AM

I wrecked my baby! advice??

well, i knew my luck would run out eventually. i was travelin westbound on 460 at 65mph and this dumbass tries crossing right in front of me in a box truck. i locked it up and slammed into his rear bumper.:banghead: anyways, he got the ticket, and i gotta put my jeep in the shop on mon. it didnt do hardly any visible damage to my jeep except scratchin and denting my ARB bumper, but it freakin ripped his whole rear bumper off and the hydraulic lift those box trucks have on them :D anyone got any advice that i need to make sure and have the mechanics check, i know the frame, and im pretty sure it got knocked out of alignment, what else should i tell them to check? the guys insurance has to pay so im gonna make sure and not miss anything

ygohome 02-15-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CVFD76 (Post 325226)
well, i knew my luck would run out eventually. i was travelin westbound on 460 at 65mph and this dumbass tries crossing right in front of me in a box truck. i locked it up and slammed into his rear bumper.:banghead: anyways, he got the ticket, and i gotta put my jeep in the shop on mon. it didnt do hardly any visible damage to my jeep except scratchin and denting my ARB bumper, but it freakin ripped his whole rear bumper off and the hydraulic lift those box trucks have on them :D anyone got any advice that i need to make sure and have the mechanics check, i know the frame, and im pretty sure it got knocked out of alignment, what else should i tell them to check? the guys insurance has to pay so im gonna make sure and not miss anything

frame, radiator, fan, steering, trackbar and its brackets, front axle, control arms and their brackets.

thats about all I can think of

tiny terror 02-15-2009 11:33 AM

At 65?? Holy crud. That must have been something to see. I might have to replace my seat had it been me. Have you thought about having yourself checked out? Minor head and neck injuries can turn out to be not so minor.

Giancarlo 02-15-2009 01:10 PM

did your airbag go off? i have a custom front bumper on my jeep does that affect the safety of the airbag sensors from going off?

jgano23 02-15-2009 01:36 PM

i'd fight for a new bumper. i had some jack@ss fedex driver slam into the side of me 2 months ago. i got a new bumper (even though it was broken before) and some new sway bar discos, along with the other parts he did destroy.

parrot head 02-15-2009 02:31 PM

Motor mounts, check 'em. The engine is very heavy and tends to keep moving when the vehicle stops suddenly.

parrot head 02-15-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giancarlo (Post 325376)
did your airbag go off? i have a custom front bumper on my jeep does that affect the safety of the airbag sensors from going off?

Airbags are triggered by inertia, they will work if you have no bumper, stock bumper, aftermarket bumper etc.

CVFD76 02-16-2009 12:26 AM

well i locked it up and slid about 15 ft so i dont know how fast i was going at point of impact. the airbags did not deploy, but im kinda glad cause thatd just be one more thing to fix. im gonna try for a new bumper, and tires, my fender got a few descent sized chips so ithink i can at least get that part painted. o, and my front passenger fender flare is scratched up and bent out a lil bit. i posted the original the night it happened, i found these other things the next day in daylight

alig33 02-16-2009 12:41 AM

get a bumper =)

stevens243 02-16-2009 12:50 PM

Ah, have the mechs check out the steering, frame, radiator/cooling and do a leak check. Make sure it still does EVERYTHING, like shift into 4 hi, neutral, 4 lo, emergency brake etc.

Blow some paint on the bumper and tell everyone it's rock damage from the trail. It adds character!

ExDementia 02-16-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevens243 (Post 325874)
everyone it's rock damage from the trail. It adds character!

Ah, I can see it now: Stevens standing out in his garage smashing various pieces of trail armor with a hammer to show his wife that the expensive purchases were justified.:D

stevens243 02-16-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 325904)
Ah, I can see it now: Stevens standing out in his garage smashing various pieces of trail armor with a hammer to show his wife that the expensive purchases were justified.:D

Shhhhhhh....you'll nix my next upgrade if my wife finds out :D

wetzie 02-17-2009 10:43 PM

Not sure if it is related but the water works can get bumped pretty good. Check any leakage and inspect the water pump. If you have nerf bars check them for alignment by looking down the side.

CVFD76 02-19-2009 01:49 AM

thanks yall, they're still workin on inspecting the frame and welds, but they already got me a new bumper on order. anyone wanna buy a ARB bumper/brush guard with some dents/scratches, that is, if they let me get my hands on it??:D

crazyredneck 02-19-2009 01:41 PM

how much? if it is reasonable, and somewhat close...

never mind, will ya ship???